Old 01-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #1

1990 cougar knock

I have a 1990 cougar 500 Suzuki I believe. All was well sled ran good snow was nice changed plugs and tuned th idle and then there was a knock low in motor. Sound appears to be located in the clutch side of case. When I rock the clutch back and forth i have a faint knock just at clutch connection point or just inside the case. Is this a bad bearing , is it immediately terminal, how much does it usually cost to get this fixed. It has been 28 years since I have had a sled and have been enjoying it a great deal . Not sure how much a excellent looking 1990 sled is worth with a bad bearing or should I just ride it until it goes no more. Have not ridden it since noise was discovered but seemed normal for power when it was discovered. I know the smart thing is to take it down and find out but not in a position to spend a bunch of money on finding out. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
mrwojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #2

any advice would be greatly appreciated. Even as much as if it is a bearing is that gonna brake up immediately or would it be ok for rest of year . I dont know much about snowmobiles so please. BTW we are expecting snow measured in the ft starting tonight so i am not doing well with the its broke thought.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #3

Sled: 88 El Tigre
07-08 Mileage: 150
Did you change brand or style of plugs? How did you "tune the idlle". Just trying to figure out if the problem came after you changed things, or was already there? Is idle lower than before? Does it go away or become louder as you increase rpm's? Lower end knock is usually a sign of bad things to come, remember they rotate @ pretty high rpm.
88eltigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:43 AM   #4

so the plugs were the same band and numb er as the previous ones. As far as the carb I turned the ideler screwes the same amount until it acheived idle. Will the sled get a knock if the idle is set incorectly. if so how do I ensure that is not the case.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:53 AM   #5

Angry

i really appreciate all the helpful advice I will recommend this site to know body. Maybe my question is just to basic for all you geniuses but it is what it is . i hope spring comes early and you all have catastrophic failures far from help. To think I wanted a sled to get out there will you ppl.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #6

Sled: 98 ZR500, 97 Formula
08-09 Mileage: 0kms
??...
Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 AM   #7

what is the question with my post 3 days on here 71 views and only one very unhelpful response. I am a disabled vet so I dont have extra money to take to a shop and have simple questions answered I thought that is what tis was for but well I guess you sled heads cant be bothered.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #8

I have the same sled you do same year AND model. These guys have helped me alot here lately (cougar 500 problem) so your wrong about this site. As for your problem it sounds like you have a berring going out at one end of the crank. that "unhelpfull" post asked you if the noise changes with engine rpm witch is a very good question. if it does it backes up the theory that its a berring, if it dosent then I have no idea what it would be. and calm down, atleast you have good snow
TopherWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #9

yes it changes with rpm the frequency of the knock changes with the increase rpm. As far as at least i have good snow I dont know if I can ride this sled due to possible bad bearring. Like I said I am a disabled vet so walking to get help can be an issue.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 1994 Puma 340 DLX
ATV: Popo 400 Sportsman
It could be a bad rod bearing on the PTO piston or a bearing on the crankshaft. Do you have any runout on the crankshaft? Grab your clutch and push it into the motor and pull it away from the motor. If you feel a "clunk, clunk" you need to have it fixed.
Puma is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Vintage 1992 older

Search tags for this page

1990 arctic cat cougar

1990 arctic cat cougar change to high travel suspension
1990 arctic cat cougar clutch brand
arctic cat cougar cluth knock
engine knock does not change with rpm cougar
what is a 1990 arctic cat cougar worth
why is my 1990 cougar rpm's rising when i push the clutch in
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.