Old 10-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #1

Sled: 1980 Trail Cat 4000 1976 El Tigre 4000
10-11 Mileage:
09-10 Mileage: 20
I have a 1976 El Tigre 4000 that has been sitting for about 20 years, it will idle beautifully and rev up within the first few min of running, but once warm, it will idle but wont rev up. I have disconnected the wire harness to bypass all switches, i swapped out the external coil for a known good one, and replaced the plugs. I figure it has to be either the Primary coil not advancing spark or not giving strong enough spark, so i removed the stator assembly and found that the lighting coil was damaged and someone had done some shotty solder job to the primary coils. I have ordered new ones from denis kirk, but this is what i found: Yellow wires from 4 plug harness go to red leads of lighting coil, Red/Black wire from CDi goes to the Red Wire from primary coil, THe Black/White wire from CDi harness goes to the black wire from 4 pin plug which both tie into the black wire from the primary coil, the Black/Red wire from CDI harness goes to the Blue wire from primary coil. Their is also a Gray wire coming out of the smaller of 2 coils, bu **** disconnected. I need to know where it connects to or if its just an extra wire, because its not listed on the wiring diagram. Does that sound right? Also i ran an ohms test on the coil and here are the results:
Black/White to Black/Red i got 173 ohms, and Red/Black to Black/White i got 176 ohms, i guess its suppose to be 1.8 ohms and then 170ohms? I will appreciate all th ehelp i can get, I want to get this Cat purrin again for the winter
slipknot09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Vintage 1992 older

Search tags for this page
1976 arctic cat 4000 wiring

1976 arctic cat el tigre

1976 arctic cat el tigre 4000

1976 arctic cat eltigre

1976 el tigre 4000

1976 spirit 4000 stator test
76 artic cat stator 4000
arctic cat 77 eltigre ignition coil

arctic cat el tigre 4000

arctic cat el tigre 4000 coil
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.