Old 08-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #1

Sled: a "bunch" of them
Hi, tried a bit of searching, but not sure how to word it so it just comes up with every thread containing something w/serial numbers.
How do you find out what year and model/engine an old chassis is?? I know the early seventies and older Cats had lots of different engine makes and sizes in most of the models. Is there a "how to" or "sticky" on the forum (or elsewhere) to look up a serial number to get the actual year, and even better, the engine make and size that was original to the chassis? How about the Kawasaki engines from that era?? I've got several partial and complete ones that I don't know what year they are.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
'99 700 SKS
"a bunch" of Polaris XLT sleds for sale
'06 Edge 600 Touring for sale
Vintage stuff:
'80 Blizzard 9500
'81 Blizzard 5500
'81 Moto Ski UltraSonic
'71 Panther w/399 Kawasaki
'74 Panther VIP 440 Cat-o-Matic drive
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #2

Sled: 79 El Tigre` 5000, 74 Herters 440 Turbo
ATV: AmphiCat 6X6, '76 Chevy Scottsdale 4X4
What model sled do you have? Pics maybe? These guys can usually tell you whats what just from a picture.. Generally the first digit of the serial number is the last digit of the mfg year.. so my el tigre starts with a 9 so its a 79 cause I know its not one of the 80 models. As for your engine there should be an I.D. Tag somewhere, every engine has one you just have to look.. my spirit has the tag on the exhaust side of engine on the fan shroud and my kolher is on top of the fan shroud on carb side... Just have to look around till you find the tags and then you can get the specific info you need. Good luck bud!
snowcat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #3

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snowcat357 @ Aug 9 2010, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
What model sled do you have? Pics maybe? These guys can usually tell you whats what just from a picture.. Generally the first digit of the serial number is the last digit of the mfg year.. so my el tigre starts with a 9 so its a 79 cause I know its not one of the 80 models. As for your engine there should be an I.D. Tag somewhere, every engine has one you just have to look.. my spirit has the tag on the exhaust side of engine on the fan shroud and my kolher is on top of the fan shroud on carb side... Just have to look around till you find the tags and then you can get the specific info you need. Good luck bud![/b]
"Generally the first digit of the serial number is the last digit of the mfg year.. so my el tigre starts with a 9 so its a 79 cause I know its not one of the 80 models."
OK, thanks. That helps quite a bit for the chassis year at least. Thats a good start.

"As for your engine there should be an I.D. Tag somewhere, every engine has one you just have to look.. "
The old(er) Kawasakis have a "model" number on the top of the fan shroud w/the cc size and such on it. Just wondering if there is a way to determine the year of manufacture from that code.
Thanks for the tips. I'll check out the chassis of the unkown one. (mid '70's Panter 340 Kawasaki-engine had temp warning light in dash). I do know the other one is a '71 Panter 399. It has the "axial flow" Kawasaki hood w/original graphics. No engine, everthing else is very good. Speedo and tach and electric start equip. I would like to replace w/correct year engine.
I have a '74 VIP Cat-o-matic 440 engine w/oil injection, also but thats not the right one for the '71.
Keep the tips/info coming. Thanks!

Edit: some more searching here turned up a post that referenced bosscatlegacy.com. This has an excellant list in the "extras" heading, if I recall, for all the engine model numbers year by year and some info. The '71 Kawasaki Axial Flow (had a JLO Axial Flow, too) engine number was TIA400S1. If it was a '73 for example, it should be a TIB400S1A.
Great info!!
'99 700 SKS
Vintage stuff:
'80 Blizzard 9500
'81 Blizzard 5500
'81 Moto Ski UltraSonic
Old 08-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #4

Sled: 2010 Arctic Cat Crossfire Snopro 800HO
10-11 Mileage: 1100
09-10 Mileage: 2130
08-09 Mileage: 500
07-08 Mileage: 300
06-07 Mileage: 200
Go to http://www.bosscatlegacy.com/index.htm and click on "Arctic Cat Extras" then scroll down and click on "Arctic Cat Snowmobile Productions" then scroll down and click on the "year" of your sled, it'll show model numbers, motor numbers, how many were produced and etc. As other guys have said the '70's sled the first number is the year, if you serial number starts with a 2 it is a 1972. I've heard the '60's have one number less than the '70's but I'm not sure how the other decades work. You can always contact the people on that site and ask them.

Sleds:
2010 Crossfire Snopro 800HO
1997 Thundercat Mountain Cat 900
1991 EXT El Tigre Special 550
1991 EXT El Tigre 530
1972 EXT 340 Red Tag Factory Race
1969 Ski-Daddler Super Twin 634 Hirth
1974 John Deere 300
and many more
72EXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #5

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (72EXT @ Aug 9 2010, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
Go to http://www.bosscatlegacy.com/index.htm and click on "Arctic Cat Extras" then scroll down and click on "Arctic Cat Snowmobile Productions" then scroll down and click on the "year" of your sled, it'll show model numbers, motor numbers, how many were produced and etc. As other guys have said the '70's sled the first number is the year, if you serial number starts with a 2 it is a 1972. I've heard the '60's have one number less than the '70's but I'm not sure how the other decades work. You can always contact the people on that site and ask them.[/b]
Yep. Had already found it. Answered my questions, thanks. Now I just need to figure out what year engines I have on hand and what I need to look for!
'99 700 SKS
Vintage stuff:
'80 Blizzard 9500
'81 Blizzard 5500
'81 Moto Ski UltraSonic
Old 08-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #6

Sled: 1972 303 Panther
ATV: Pontiac VAN
2007 Mileage: 20,000
Another site that is a good reference are the parts manuals on "Brown's Leisureworld.com." They do well to about 1972. Before that, things get a little fuzzy. What you can remember for the old engine code ID system they used from about 1967 to 1971 is this: It's alphabet soup. J is for JLO, K is for Kohler, A is for Arctic, which really means Kawasaki, W is for Wankel, H is for Hirth, S is for Sachs. Now for actual sled models it can get muddy because real people hand stamped these ID tags, and they sometimes goofed or changed things on the fly or from year to year. I've seen Panther listed as P and PA, and BP. I've seen Puma listed as P and PU. The old bogie springed Cougars are listed with a C. E is for EXT. ES is for EXT Special. KK is for King Kat. TT is for Turf Tiger. L is for Lynx. M is for MOD. I've also seen some 1968 and 1969 Panthers with electric start with an "ES" in the number. So say you found the hulk of a 1971 EXT Special 440? The ID tag should read ES440A and the serial number should start with a 1. A 1970 Puma 634 MOD would read PU634HM or some combination of the same letters. The serial number would start with a 0. I hope this helps someone. I have all my Dad's old dealer manuals from 1967 to '72 and I like to help people. So if you get royally stuck, shoot me a PM or and email and I'll try to help you out with ID.
gbarchives-eltigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #7

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gbarchives-eltigre @ Aug 13 2010, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
Another site that is a good reference are the parts manuals on "Brown's Leisureworld.com." They do well to about 1972. Before that, things get a little fuzzy. What you can remember for the old engine code ID system they used from about 1967 to 1971 is this: It's alphabet soup. J is for JLO, K is for Kohler, A is for Arctic, which really means Kawasaki, W is for Wankel, H is for Hirth, S is for Sachs. Now for actual sled models it can get muddy because real people hand stamped these ID tags, and they sometimes goofed or changed things on the fly or from year to year. I've seen Panther listed as P and PA, and BP. I've seen Puma listed as P and PU. The old bogie springed Cougars are listed with a C. E is for EXT. ES is for EXT Special. KK is for King Kat. TT is for Turf Tiger. L is for Lynx. M is for MOD. I've also seen some 1968 and 1969 Panthers with electric start with an "ES" in the number. So say you found the hulk of a 1971 EXT Special 440? The ID tag should read ES440A and the serial number should start with a 1. A 1970 Puma 634 MOD would read PU634HM or some combination of the same letters. The serial number would start with a 0. I hope this helps someone. I have all my Dad's old dealer manuals from 1967 to '72 and I like to help people. So if you get royally stuck, shoot me a PM or and email and I'll try to help you out with ID.[/b]
Thats interesting info! Thanks.
Additional question. Are all/most of the Kawasaki fan bottom ends (cases/cranks/rods) interchangeable throughout the sizes. Meaning can I take a 340 bottom end and put 399 or 440 cylinders/pistons on it, or are the rods or crank stroke different for each of them??
Thanks for the help!
'99 700 SKS
Vintage stuff:
'80 Blizzard 9500
'81 Blizzard 5500
'81 Moto Ski UltraSonic
Old 08-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #8

Sled: several 72-77 Cat's, 4 Kawasaki's
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jettawreck @ Aug 14 2010, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
Additional question. Are all/most of the Kawasaki fan bottom ends (cases/cranks/rods) interchangeable throughout the sizes. Meaning can I take a 340 bottom end and put 399 or 440 cylinders/pistons on it, or are the rods or crank stroke different for each of them??
Thanks for the help![/b]
Same bottom end.
Invader440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #9

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Invader440 @ Aug 14 2010, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jettawreck @ Aug 14 2010, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
 Quote:
Thanks for the help![/b]
Same bottom end.
[/b][/quote]

Good. Thanks Invader440! That should make things a bit easier.
I've got relatives and friends over your way. Bagley, Clearbrook and Foston w/some "family" land up by Leonard. Spent last weekend doing yard work at a rental house I still have in Bagley.
'99 700 SKS
Vintage stuff:
'80 Blizzard 9500
'81 Blizzard 5500
'81 Moto Ski UltraSonic
Old 09-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #10

Sled: Arctic Cat Snowmobiles
ATV: Arctic Cat ATV's
https://www.funoutfitters.com/Articles.asp?ID=252

VIN Verification
Funoutfitters is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funoutfitters For This Useful Post:
jettawreck (11-22-2010)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Vintage 1992 older

Search tags for this page
arctic cat serial number
arctic cat serial number 9030317
arctic cat serial number decoder

arctic cat serial number lookup

arctic cat serial number search
arctic cat serial number year
arctic cat snowmobile how to find year
arctic cat snowmobiles
arctic cat year by serial number
vintage arctic cat model numbers
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.