Old 03-23-2010, 04:15 PM   #1

Sled: Arctic Cat El Tigre EXT 530
10-11 Mileage:
09-10 Mileage: ?? Not Much
Just picked up my first sled, a fairly good condish '90 EXT 530. Sounds good, and seems to run well. Won't find out till next winter I guess..

But anyway, she has 44mm carbs instead of 38's. Now the exhaust is stock, and everything else seem stock. So from, my understanding, I will get a higher end go, but less low end take off, (Which to me is the fun part) I was thinking to go back to the stock roundslide VM38's but then I got thinking, What would happen if I put a pair of flatslide TM or TMX 38's in?

What would be involved in this? Good or bad idea?

Oh and Pics

Most of those decals are already off.

Someone did a dodgy when re-covering the seat. The cut the bump off and put a light where the luggage goes.

What kind of track is this? It's not stock, it's in too good a shape.

The powerplant

Amazing what a silver paint pen will do, huh?

Weredragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #2

Lots of options. On the 44's you wont gain anything on top and the low end will be weaker and not as crisp. But if you put factory twin pipes (easy to find) you will gain up top from pipes and let the carbs also gain some up top and even a little on the bottom. To go back to stock there is little gain from round to flat slide carbs of the same size at least to tell from the seat of your pants but the price flats are more. You should be able to sell the 44's and get some 38's. Its best if you get some from a Cat around the same year and engine as the guts which are expensive are already set up. Your track could be a kimpex with the paddles over the windows like that. If you look closer somewhere on the track it will have molded in who makes it and what model it is. Shoot some WD 40 on the track clips they should derust over the summer
Old 03-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #3

10-11 Mileage:
yeah, It's a 20 year old sled, there is a lot there needing wd 40. So flatslides won't offer much performance? Hrmmm, Oh well. A pair of 38's I think then, Or 40's maybe.

I didn't think the 44's would do anything with out a exhaust upgrade of some sort, but theres a lot of balancing there, and it's often easier to go back to stock, and get the original performance.

Also the back suspension is pretty soft, I'm thinking a whole new (read: Old) replacement.

Is there anything else to get this old girl running top notch? I've a '98 ZR600 I need to catch. (It's not running top yet either Stator issues, and random messing with engine components)
Old 03-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #4

whole lots things to check when you get a sled. Clean the clutches. Check the chain and oil, start off with fresh gas, sync the chokes and clean carbs are just some. On a 4 stroke a dirty carb just runs like crap on a 2 stroke good chance of a burn down. Pull the suspension and check the bearings. One thing about cats when the speedo side bearing starts to go it will drop down and shear off the speedo key the speedo will quit working. Not a big deal if you get the bearing when it first happens but left unchanged will take the shaft and chain, gears out. You dont need to park it when it happens but the sooner the better on changing it. Dont need a new suspension unless somethings broke. Get some new springs if its soft but if the rear is soft it will come out of the hole better but not so good if you have a rough trail to ride. The the older models the shock is just a damper if you got a little resistance when pulling in and out its good enough. You can still get a lot of stuff from Cat for the sled but springs should be last resort. You can get aftermarket springs if needed from 12-18$ a piece. Cats are going to go for 50$ or better
Old 03-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #5

10-11 Mileage:
Yeah, well sometimes the trails here can get really rough just before their groomed again. And the speedo is fine, it the rpm one that bothers me. It's won't seem to read under 3k. Dunno if it's even accurate, cause it idles at like 3k. But I'll wait till winter to worry about that, it's too warm now.

Pulled the belt off the other day and the secondary clutch isn't in the best shape. Looks like it'll work, but there are groves at the top of the inner disk. So take off will probs suffer and belts will get destroyed fairly often.

My new question is, should I just get an stock used one, or is there a aftermarket on that you guys would recommend? Keeping In mind I want to stay on the cheap side. And it's just a trail and lake sled. I know a new stock one from Arctic cat OEM is like $600 odd, And I don't want to spend that much at all.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #6

3000 a little high but its what the engine will idle smooth at 2500-1800 is better. The tachs are pretty close. Thats why you sync carbs they have to be close to each other in tuning. If different you can make changes and nothing happens or the oppisite happens. In your picture of the clutch the screw that you see is the idle. Without a gauge it is set a certain amount of turns out from all the way in. It will be something like 3 1/2 to 5 turns out but the slide will have enough cable to rest on the screw. One thing to check since you have big carbs the pull it takes to open the carbs WOT that there is enough cable to let it go back to an idle speed. Your driven clutch I'll have to say is the worst one I have ever seen. There are good ones on E bay everyday 20-50$ would be your best bet unless someone gives you one. The clutch started in 81 and is still going now so the are lots out there. Small differerences but close to the same dosnt matter which one you get. You can take the cam out of yours if different has a part # on it with new sliders should be good. Shoot a picture of the front of the driven. Whats stock is yellow spring and in the center hole 1 tighter or looser would be alright to. For your clutch to look like that it would have to have major slippage
Old 03-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #7

10-11 Mileage:
The back spring should be a white, and unless it's been painted black like the rest of the sled, it's a black spring. The primary clutch has the right color spring though. And, I'll go back to VM38's on the carbs, maybe trade the ones on there, and then bring them back to factory settings and then when winter comes around again, I'll tune them up.

The throttle cables, choke cables, fuel lines, and coolant lines are all in fior replacement, as are the sliders, cause one is actually broken in two. When I'm doing that the track will be flipped, and the suspension will be checked in detail. So still alot of work mechanical to do..
Old 03-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #8

Sled: 2000 MXZ, 1991 El Tigre EXT
IMO i would dig up a rear skid out of a 98 or newer ETT cat you will gain suspension travel and the ride will be amazingly better. That's what I did and its the best money I ever spent.
chevytaHOE5674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #9

10-11 Mileage:
Another question, Does anyone know where to get a shop manual for it?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
7up

Sled: 1997 ZR 440 & 2004 F7 Sno Pro EFI
10-11 Mileage: 510
09-10 Mileage: 340
08-09 Mileage: 74
07-08 Mileage: 18.4
06-07 Mileage: 1.8
ATV: na
2007 Mileage: na
2006 Mileage: na
You can find a manual on ebay....

And Cat's secondary clutch was updated in 1988 as well.
  • My Dad's 1985 El Tigre' 6000
  • 1984 El Tigre' 6000
7up is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Vintage 1992 older

Search tags for this page

1989 arctic cat 530 tigre ext carborater adjustments

1990 arctic cat 530 ext pics

1990 arctic cat el tigre 530

1990 arctic cat el tigre ext 530

1990 arctic cat el tigre ext 530 not staying running

1990 arctic cat el tigre ext 530 specs

1990 arctic cat ext 530

1990 artic cat 530 stripped bolts on water pump assembly
89 arctic cat el tigre ext track length

top speed of 1990 ext el tigre

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.