Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

CDI or Coil

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  steve01 
#1 ·
I have a 78 arctic cat Panther 5000, I bought it about 7 years ago and that year it quit on me. I was still Little young and didn't know much about them. Couldn't figure it out so threw it in storage. I got the itch this year and pulled it down to work on it. There is no spark and there wasn't when i put it away. I bought a "new" coil off of ebay and that didn't fix it. I couldn't remember if i had got a new cdi for it 7 years ago or not. Is there a way of checking to see if the cdi is bad, or the coil I bought? I did try unhooking the kill switch and still no spark. I don't know anything about the internal Coil, do those go bad or usually not? what are they for? Any other suggestions? Thank you very much, John

#2 ·
On a 78 you should be able to unplug the 4 wire harness that comes out of the motor and see if you have spark now. If you do, you have a switch problem, If not could be a stator/cdi or coil.
Check for spark this way and let us know what happens and we can try to lead you trough the rest.

#5 ·
Time to check the stator, get out your ohm meter.
1. On the 3 wire plug check between the red and black = 200 ohms. white to black = 200 ohms. The green wire that comes from the motor should read 32 ohms to ground. On the coil wht/blu to black .3 ohms. Now the high tension lead to the other high tension 1500 ohms.
Let me know how you come out and I'll try to help more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.