Old 12-28-2007, 09:19 PM   #1

Sled: '96 ZR 440, '99 ZR 440 Sno Pro
Hello fellow vintage riders!

I've got a '75 Panther that is in pretty good shape, and I'd like to get the old beast running. Here's what I've found so far.

The gas tank is nasty, I'll have to remove that and have it chemically cleaned.

The fuel lines have got to go. They are brittle, and it needs a new fuel filter too.

It has a spare Walbro carb with it, the one attached has it's throttle bar (don't know real name) dangling from the throttle cable.

It will need new hifax. Simple as that, the old ones are just plain worn out.

it has a brand new comet duster primary, so I don't think clutching will be too much of a problem.

The last problem with it is there is no spark and it pulls over alot harder than my '93 Jag 440 or my '96 ZR 440. Is the hard pulling normal? What could be causing the lack of spark?

Also, I'm curious, can I put a bulb primer on this sled before the carb to make it start easier? What are some little tricks to make it a more reliable sled? Thanks vintage sledgods!!
pudamobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-29-2007, 01:44 AM   #2

Sled: 86 el tigre 6000
sounds like its been sitting awhile. Good find though. Start from scratch and go thru everything, includeing all of the wireing connections, grounds etc.

points could be rusty, and need to be cleaned/ replaced. replace condensers too, if ur replaceing the points. Gap should be 0.012-0.016 inches
superjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:18 AM   #3

Your Panther pulls over harder then your Jag and ZR because the recoil is bigger on your Jag and ZR than the one on your panther, giving you more "leverage" when you pull it over. So there is nothing wrong with your Panther. Here is a site with exploded views so if you take onything apart you can put it back together right! http://brownsleisureworld.com/ Click on On-line Parts Fiche, then snowmobile, then 1975, then Panther 440, then whatever you wanna look at. Hope this helps!
1980 ARCTIC CAT PANTERA 500
1987 ARCTIC CAT JAG 440
1996 POLARIS INDY TRAIL 488
1997 POLARIS INDY TRAIL 488
1998 POLARIS INDY TRAIL TOURING 488

2009 POLARIS IQ SHIFT 550 F/C

79stingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:43 PM   #4

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (superjuice @ Dec 29 2007, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
sounds like its been sitting awhile. Good find though. Start from scratch and go thru everything, includeing all of the wireing connections, grounds etc.

points could be rusty, and need to be cleaned/ replaced. replace condensers too, if ur replaceing the points. Gap should be 0.012-0.016 inches[/b]
Yup Juice, you hit it right on the money...been sitting for between 7-10 years. The previous owner said that he'd had the comet clutch put on, and put on maybe 20 miles and the "throttle bar" (according to the browns leisure world website it's the shaft lever and swivel assembly) worked its way loose and snapped off. They towed the sled home and when they found no spark, they loaded it on a trailer, under the tarp, and left it sit in the back of one of their garages. I've heard of slack in the throttle cable causing lack of spark...could this possibly be my problem? I'm kind of dreading the electrical work if it's anything else, '75 was the first year of the CDI ignition (and that little puppy's an expensive part to replace). I have a '74 Cheetah 440 that I also picked up from the same guy, but it's in real rough shape (hood busted off, motor stuck, no track) and to top it off, points and condensors...so if it's the CDI I'm kindof on my own there.

Assuming I get spark, before I fire it up, would it be a good idea to Fog the motor? If it's been sitting this long, I wouldn't want to take any chances.

Also, thanks for the explanation of why my Panther pulls over so much harder 79Sting, I guess it does make sense. I'm thinking on finding a big pull handle instead of the T it has now so I can put a little more weight into pulling it over.

Thanks for the help guys, and keep the comments coming!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:18 PM   #5

I put a big pull handle on my Jag and it makes it alot easier to start! Thats a good idea!
1980 ARCTIC CAT PANTERA 500
1987 ARCTIC CAT JAG 440
1996 POLARIS INDY TRAIL 488
1997 POLARIS INDY TRAIL 488
1998 POLARIS INDY TRAIL TOURING 488

2009 POLARIS IQ SHIFT 550 F/C

79stingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:41 AM   #6

Sled: 78 el tigre 5000 - 79 el tigre 5000
06-07 Mileage: 150
the throttle cable shouldn't have anything to do with spark - that was a later innovation i believe - i'd check all the switches and wiring i've had the handlebar kill switch turn out to be the problem quite often - i just unhooked both switches when testing mine then i knew they weren't the problem(just be ready to pull the plug wires to kill it if it does fire up) -like juice said check all wiring and plugs especially the internal to external coil and cdi connections and wires - electrical probs can be very frustrating - fought mine for two weeks until i figured out it was cdi box - good luck
helltigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #7

Sled: 2- 1972 440 panthers
do you have the motor out of the sled ?? it makes it easier to sevice the points .. I ve been through this all recently with both of the old panthers I just picked up . they had been sitting for 15 years.. points in both were corroded bad. and the wiring on my 72 just about drove me to drink !! ....... wait i don't need an excuse for that hehehe . anyway take out those old points throw 'em in the trash they'er easy to get and cheap . your gonna need to time it when your done and it takes a little know how. start there and when your done with that if you still have 0 fire (both sides) chances are it's the internal coil . if it fires one side ? swap the red and white wires around(don't lose track of where they belong) if the fire switches side ?? you got a bad external coil .. easy fix.... your gonna love that old sled.. but do like superjuice said go right through it... hell man thats all the fun anyway ... ride 'em on the weekend and wrench up during the week !!!!

Plab
plab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #8

As of now the motor's still in the sled, but it could use cleaning up (apparently the previous owner blew a head gasket and never cleaned up the gunk it left behind). Compression is good at around 130 per side...thanks for all the kind words, it should make a decent puts around the yard and ride occasionally when my brother visits (he always tries to steal my girlfriend's sled, but she never rides more than 15-20 MPH anyway, so I don't think the poor suspension (leaf springs and slide rail) will really affect her too much, do you? I mean, it's no drift banger, but it should be fine on relatively flat surfaces and the occasional trail. Also, on those lines, can I put Heated grips on this old of sled? I know my girlfriend won't as much as touch my ZR because it doesn't have them...thanks everyone!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #9

Sled: 73/75 Cheetah 440, 73 Panther 440
I've got a 75 Cheetah, which has the same motor. There are no points, it's got a CDI based ignition. There is a failsafe
in the throttle that may not allow it to start. From the engine compartment, pull on the throttle cable to ensure it's fully
extended. Normally the spring tension from the carb does this. The electrical system may think the throttle is wide open
which will not allow it to start. If still no go, it's quite possible the kill switch is shot.
Why Cat went to the newer design I don't know, but in my opinion they suck. You can get them OE from Alpha-Sports.com
(23.80), or go aftermarket like MFG Supply or Central Snowmobile. A good check to confirm if it's the kill switch/throttle
is to check the lights. If the system is shorted out as I suspect, you will have absolutely no lights as you pull on the recoil
to start. If the system is correct, the light should glow briefly/dimly as you pull on the recoil. (make sure the lights are switched on)
cheetahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #10

Followed Cheetahman's advice, pulled the throttle cable tight, got spark. Where next? I still need to put the different carb on it, but should I fog the engine before I try to start it? Any little tips or tricks? Thanks!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Vintage 1992 older

Search tags for this page
1975 arctic cat pantera
1975 arctic cat pantera 440

1975 arctic cat panther

1975 arctic cat panther 440

1975 arctic cat panther 440 manual
1975 arctic cat panther 440 reliability
1975 artic cat panther
1975 artic cat panther 440
arctic cat panther 1975
vintage snowmobiles 1975 arctic cat panther
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.