Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Looking at a 1977 El Tigre 5000

11K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  venturaII 
#1 ·
Found a 1977 el Tigre (built tag says 5/76) for sale. Starts right up. need ball park figure for what I should offer. Needs a new seat, headlight bulb and springs for pipe to manifold.

What motor does this have? I'm guessing 500 (says El Tigre 5000 on side).

I think it would make a good sled to have around for the kids and to mess around with.

Thanks.

Tony

For those that browse the HCS boards, sorry about the repost!

#2 ·
That's a 500cc, F/A 4 port Suzuki (Spirit) motor. Tuned well and in good shape, they can be remarkably quick. But being a free air motor, they don't tolerate warm weather or slow riding as well as fan/liquid motors. But they're light! My '78 Pantera F/A is listed as 380 lbs, dry.

Your description is pretty vague (pics would be much better), but in decent running shape I'd say between $500 and $1000, depending on cosmetics.

#3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (venturaII @ Dec 21 2006, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Your description is pretty vague (pics would be much better), but in decent running shape I'd say between $500 and $1000, depending on cosmetics.[/b]
Just my opinion, but I'd say the $500 would be at the high end of the spectrum. We are talking about a 30 year old sled with no considerable collector value, and the new seat cover alone will cost about $300!

It is what it is... a fun "around the yard" sled for the kids. If it runs good, I'd offer between $300 and $500.

#4 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wicked King @ Dec 22 2006, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (venturaII @ Dec 21 2006, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your description is pretty vague (pics would be much better), but in decent running shape I'd say between $500 and $1000, depending on cosmetics.[/b]
Just my opinion, but I'd say the $500 would be at the high end of the spectrum. We are talking about a 30 year old sled with no considerable collector value, and the new seat cover alone will cost about $300!

It is what it is... a fun "around the yard" sled for the kids. If it runs good, I'd offer between $300 and $500.
[/b][/quote]

Well, from the sound of his description, I'd guess closer to 500 than a grand, but if the rest of the sled was flawless and it ran as good as it looked, I don't see why it wouldn't be worth more than that.

Like I said, it's a pretty vague description he gave - we'd need to see a few pictures to get a better idea of it's true cosmetic condition.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I looked at it again in the daylight today. The track looks like one thats only a couple years old. Seat cover is usable, but needs to be replaced. No key for ignition. fires right up.

Well, I went ahead and bought the package. I'm sure this is a no brainer, but I wanted to make sure I was getting a great deal.

The package included the 77 El tigre 5000, a 1979 Blizzard 5500(runs and is in better condition than the Cat) and a vintage steel bed 2 place trailer with new tires.

All for only $500.

Like I said. Seemed like a no brainer. I just wanted to gauge the interest from those "in the know."

Thanks,

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.