Utility Performance / Technical info Utility ATV Performance and Technical Discussions about specific mods, engine upgrades!

Old 02-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #1

Timing chain

Im from ohio and i was wanting to know if anyone knows what a good price for replacing a timing chain on a 05 ac 500 4x4 would be was qouted 850 parts and labor seems high to me.
dstarr20308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Sponsors

Sponsors
Sled: Black Plastic w/ Cat Green Runners
ATV: 2003 AC 400 Auto
Does that include a kiss with the screwing?

That just a little high to replace just a timing chain and a few gaskets!

Please look at the link below for my products and pricing.
http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/rtr-custom-fabrication/

Need a Service Manual? You can download a free one here:
http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Arctic-Cat-ATV-Repair-and-Service-Manuals/

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"
We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing.
ricktherocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

im sure it doesnt i have it at the arctic cat dealer in daytona i called another atv place to compare prices they arent sure what is wrong with it at low idle it makes a clacking noise but it doesnt happen constin it is spiratic
Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
ATV: None
I could have that whole thing done in 2 hours, soup to nuts. $850.....WAY high man. wow!
Sanny651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Super Moderator

ArcticChat.com Moderator  
Super Moderator
Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,032 Posts
ATV: 07 500 auto
Sounds like clutch rollers to me
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--
2013 700 XT trv eps stock

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #6

well they said the rollers are fine now there checking the oil pump feels like they are just throwing things in the air and hope that something works on my dime(but it might just me) I thought by taking it to the dealer they would be able to figure it out but they have had it since last tuesday and still dont know what is wrong
Old 02-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #7

Timing chain is often the problem on your unit- it wears just out of reach of the tensioner and sometimes makes noise. To change the chain- you do have to remove all the way past the wet clutch- which means more gaskets also they have to clean and re-seal the rocker cover and double check and possibly adjust valves. Also if you have a worn out chain- I would think they are changing the oil too. By my rough estimate you would be at about 300 in parts and its a solid 3hrs- to do it properly. And depending if they are charging the diagnosis time with it and shop supplies and ect. It sounds like they are fairly close on your quote- maybe slightly high just to cover themself from the terrible under quote.
Just my opinion
RalphMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #8

I quick check on chain wear/noise is to remove the tensioner and keep pressure on the chain with a screwdriver or something and see if noise goes away!
RalphMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Super Moderator

ArcticChat.com Moderator  
Super Moderator
Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,032 Posts
ATV: 07 500 auto
 Quote: Originally Posted by RalphMotorsports View Post
Timing chain is often the problem on your unit- it wears just out of reach of the tensioner and sometimes makes noise. To change the chain- you do have to remove all the way past the wet clutch- which means more gaskets also they have to clean and re-seal the rocker cover and double check and possibly adjust valves. Also if you have a worn out chain- I would think they are changing the oil too. By my rough estimate you would be at about 300 in parts and its a solid 3hrs- to do it properly. And depending if they are charging the diagnosis time with it and shop supplies and ect. It sounds like they are fairly close on your quote- maybe slightly high just to cover themself from the terrible under quote.
Just my opinion
The shop rates down in the state are almost half of what they are here. So if your at $120 and they are at $65 they would be high , right??
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--
2013 700 XT trv eps stock

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #10

thanks guys well hope they figure it out soon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility Performance / Technical info

Search tags for this page

2008 arctic cat 500.timing.chain..videos

400 dvx timing tensioner setting

arctic cat 500 timing chain install

arctic ct timing chain stretch

ebay atv parts arctic cat 300 4x4 timing chain set

how change a camshaft on 02 arctic cat 500

how to adjust timing chain tensioner on 2006 polaris ranger 500

how to remove a timing chain on a 2005 arctic cat 500 atv

how to remove timing chain on 06 arctic cat 400

need timing diagram for arctic cat 500
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.