Utility Performance / Technical info Utility ATV Performance and Technical Discussions about specific mods, engine upgrades!

Old 10-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #1

ATV: 06/650 V2 & 06/800 Can-Am Max
2010 Mileage: 1000
2009 Mileage: 750
2008 Mileage: 500
2007 Mileage: 1,600
2006 Mileage: 700
650 V2 Fuel Pump Question

In what manner is the fuel pump on the 650 suppose to work?

Here's what is happening - comments please...

When the key is turned to the "on" position the fuel pump pumps for a few seconds then shuts off - at least that's the noise I believe I'm hearing.

If I open the carb drains, there is fuel in the float chambers and fuel drains from the float bowls. Even tho the fuel has been drained and the falling carb floats have opened the needle valve, no additional fuel is pumped into the carbs by the fuel pump. The fuel pump does not cycle again unless the ignition key is cycled.

If a fuel pump works with a pressure shut-off - such as most autos - the minute the carb drains are opened, the fuel pump should again begin pumping until fuel line pressure is sensed (by the rising float and closing of the needle valve) at which time the pump shuts off.

This does not happen on my 650 since draining the fuel from the float bowls does not reactivate the fuel pump.

I don't know if it's suppose to work like that, but if it is, how does fuel get from the tank to the carbs when running, or when the starter is engaged?

I certainly hope the fuel pump is suppose to operate the way it is currently doing because I'll have to sell my first born...the dealer wants $692.00 for a fuel pump (on-line $505.).

In any event how does fuel get to the carbs when the starter is activated or the machine is running? And what is the manner in which the fuel pump activates?

Help.
JimJa1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
FCC

Sled: 48 qt coleman cooler
ATV: 2005 650 V2
mine works exactly the same, I believe the pump starts pumping again once the ignition is working (engine running)...
DYNOJET KIT
SLIDE MOD
SNORKELED
BIG HORNS 2.0s ON 2012 LTD RIMS
NGK DOUBLE ELECTRODE PLUGS
DRILLED SS BRAKE ROTORS
REAR TRUNK WITH SEAT & COOLER!
FCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #3

ATV: ThunderLemon 1000
2008 Mileage: Depends upon Fa
If you do end up needing to replace the fuel pump, Check out the pump for a Yamaha Vstar 1100 motorcycle. They are around $110. Not entirely sure it would be the same, but I know the pump operates in the same manner you describe. And that bike uses the same carburetors as the V2 I believe.

Troubleshooting First Steps, An amazing number of problems are cured with just these two items.

1. Make sure your battery is FULLY Charged.
2. Try a new spark plug.

Search threads, Check Pinned Section. Pinned Topics Manual or wiring diagram? Manuals
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index...._Diagrams.html

Improving Search.

Better results when searching for specific information. To find threads where ALL the words, instead of ANY of the words "650H1, Carb, Jetting, Needle Jet, Snorkel" were found...Open up a search window in www.google.com In the find box type without the quotes "650H1 Carb Jetting Needle Jet Snorkel site:Arcticchat.com" & Press return. Find threads, replies or topics by a specific member; just by inserting their user name into the search list; Chances are, your problem is NOT unique and it has been solved many times before.

Are you in a hurry to get an answer?
Use the Google Search Tip
Wyo_H1_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility Performance / Technical info

Search tags for this page
2004 arctic cat 650 atv fuel preasure
2005 arctic cat 650 v2 fuel pump
2006 arctic cat 650 v2 fuel pump
650 hv arctic cat fuel pump

arctic cat 650 fuel pump

arctic cat 650 v2 fuel pump

artic cat 650 v2 fuel pressure
articat 650 fuel pump
how many psi is a arctic cat fuel pump 650 called for
yamaha 650 fuel pump/carb problem
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.