Utility Performance / Technical info Utility ATV Performance and Technical Discussions about specific mods, engine upgrades!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #1

ATV: 2010 polaris 400 + 2010 Artic Cat 550
Salt in Gas Tank

Hi im new here and unfortanantly my first post has to be about my shop were i keep my atvs was broken into last week. Somebody poured salt into the gas tanks of my atvs , and started them up. I assume that they ran for about 3 to 4 hours , my polaris had stalled by the time i got ther, and there was still gas in the tank. My artic cat 550 was still running and i preceeded to shut her down.

Now can anybody tell me what kind of damage may have been caused and how i can rectify the problem? Thanks
westcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #2

I brought the machines to International motor sports and a mechanic looked at them and said no damage will occure to the engine from salt being poured in the tanks. He said ther may be small issues with the carb.But other then that , once the system is cleaned it should all be ok
Old 01-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #3

ATV: ThunderLemon 1000
2008 Mileage: Depends upon Fa
Wow, sounds like somebody doesn't like you, Cruel Prank! Regardless of that that mechanic says, I'd flush out the crankcase with a little diesel fuel, (fill it to the top and drain well) Maybe even several times. Then change oil and filters a couple of times to get all of that corrosive salt out of the engine. Salt and a little moisture equals RUST.

I'd also flush out the fuel tanks with a little fresh clean fuel several times, Remove, invert and shake to get all salt out. Don't forget the carburetor bowl, filters and fuel lines.

Troubleshooting First Steps, An amazing number of problems are cured with just these two items.

1. Make sure your battery is FULLY Charged.
2. Try a new spark plug.

Search threads, Check Pinned Section. Pinned Topics Manual or wiring diagram? Manuals
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index...._Diagrams.html

Improving Search.

Better results when searching for specific information. To find threads where ALL the words, instead of ANY of the words "650H1, Carb, Jetting, Needle Jet, Snorkel" were found...Open up a search window in www.google.com In the find box type without the quotes "650H1 Carb Jetting Needle Jet Snorkel site:Arcticchat.com" & Press return. Find threads, replies or topics by a specific member; just by inserting their user name into the search list; Chances are, your problem is NOT unique and it has been solved many times before.

Are you in a hurry to get an answer?
Use the Google Search Tip
Wyo_H1_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wyo_H1_Cat For This Useful Post:
westcoast (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: '08 TRV 500
2010 Mileage: 3300 km
2009 Mileage: 3000 km
Yup cruel indeed man. Sounds like wyo got you covered though. Follow what he said and you should hopefully be fine.
Custom diamond plate storage boxes | Powermadd handguards | Quadrax 2500 lbs winch | Moose Hand/Thumb warmers | Sanny circuit breakers | 26" interco swamplites on stock rims | Yuasa Battery | Sanny A-arm bushings w/ grease fittings | 2" flex lift | Snorkels | Looped crank vent mod | Custom audio setup | Arctic Cat block heater | Engine Ice coolant | Front and rear brush guard bumpers | Battery Tender jr | ///Airdam stage 1 | Speedwerx 42# stall springs | Amsteel Blue synthetic rope | UHMW hawse fairlead | UNI Air filter | Engine Brake Deleted | Xentec 6000k HIDs| 55w Halogen Reverse light | The Whoolie Shop LED's | LED high beam bulbs | Fuel filter | 3/16" Aluminum skid plate | Modded stock exhaust | Dynojet Kit-144 main-42 pilot-Needle on 3rd notch | Ride in springs

Terry Slaney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Terry Slaney For This Useful Post:
westcoast (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #5

Sled: 98 zl 500
better salt then sugar
JasonOJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Super Moderator

ArcticChat.com Moderator  
Super Moderator
ATV: TRV700H1 XT/550H1
2009 Mileage: 800
Angry

Quote: Originally Posted by JasonOJordan View Post
better salt then sugar

X1!!

Thankfully whoever has got it "in" for you was low enough in the gene pool and confused salt vs. sugar. Sugar would have cost you new motor(s).

I agree 100% with WYO's recommendations.

Just so we're clear.......I DO NOT have an Arctic Cat ATV Addiction..........wellll...YES...yes I do.....

2013 700H1 TRV XT (Mine!!) - 265mls
2009 550H1 EFI (Wifey's) - 990mls
2008 650H1 TRV (gone...but not forgotten) - 2250mls
2009 250Utility 4x2 (was great!! till "The Boy" outgrew it) - 480mls

Last edited by cupsz71; 01-27-2011 at 06:49 PM.
cupsz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cupsz71 For This Useful Post:
westcoast (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #7

Thank you wyo H1 CAT. you told me more in a few lines than the mechanic told me in the 10 minutes i spent with him. he also called me later telling me he needed to change the fuel pump and possibly fuel injection. he said my cost is approx 500 for the arctic cat. once i get the machine back i will follow your instructions. thank you very much i appreciate it. by the way, we r a small roofing company with a shop in a marina where everyone involved there is associated with boats.we can see now that its obvious that its time for us to move.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #8

ATV: ThunderLemon 1000
2008 Mileage: Depends upon Fa
 Quote: Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
Thank you wyo H1 CAT. you told me more in a few lines than the mechanic told me in the 10 minutes i spent with him. he also called me later telling me he needed to change the fuel pump and possibly fuel injection. he said my cost is approx 500 for the arctic cat. once i get the machine back i will follow your instructions. thank you very much i appreciate it. by the way, we r a small roofing company with a shop in a marina where everyone involved there is associated with boats.we can see now that its obvious that its time for us to move.
Whoops initially read as a 500 not the EFI 550 so no carb bowl to worry about. As for the fuel pump, this one may work on the 550 also. (see below) It does on the 700H1 and the Tcats from what I understand. You'd have to visually compare to know for sure, and would be easy to change out yourself too. I haven't done this myself so may have to replace the old fuel pump on the pick up tube/sender assembly with the new pump. (Guessing here) several months ago, someone reported here that they was able to cross reference the ford pump to the cat pump and replace with success. I saved the model and part number in case I'm ever in need of a new pump. You would remove rear rack, rear plastic and pull the 3 screws that hold the pick up tube/sender and pump assembly in place in the gas tank, may have to change or swap wire ends too. For flushing or cleaning the fuel tank you're going to have the rear plastic off and fuel pump assembly out anyhow.

You could test the present fuel pump for pressure, as long as it puts out around 42 lbs +/- a little of pressure and good volume, I wouldn't think it would need to be changed at all.

Electric Fuel Pump EFI models
fuel pump from a 1990 Ford Mustang 4cyl.
This is Auto Zone part #E2061
retails for around $90 bucks.
the same inlet, outlet, diameter, and height

I'd also change the fuel injector yourself also, pretty much just plugs in. One screw holds the injector in place into the intake manifold with an O-ring seal then a wiring connector to plug in. 10 minute job if you can get to the injector and wiring connector without removing front plastic.

I didn't look up the cost for the injector but for a few hours of your time and probably under $200 you could change those two items and save $300 or so if you do in fact have to replace them items. If you are already committed to the mechanic to repair it, maybe you can have him pick up the Ford pump instead of the EXPENSIVE cat pump

Troubleshooting First Steps, An amazing number of problems are cured with just these two items.

1. Make sure your battery is FULLY Charged.
2. Try a new spark plug.

Search threads, Check Pinned Section. Pinned Topics Manual or wiring diagram? Manuals
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index...._Diagrams.html

Improving Search.

Better results when searching for specific information. To find threads where ALL the words, instead of ANY of the words "650H1, Carb, Jetting, Needle Jet, Snorkel" were found...Open up a search window in www.google.com In the find box type without the quotes "650H1 Carb Jetting Needle Jet Snorkel site:Arcticchat.com" & Press return. Find threads, replies or topics by a specific member; just by inserting their user name into the search list; Chances are, your problem is NOT unique and it has been solved many times before.

Are you in a hurry to get an answer?
Use the Google Search Tip

Last edited by Wyo_H1_Cat; 01-27-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Wyo_H1_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility Performance / Technical info

Search tags for this page
effect of salt in a gas tank
salt in gas

salt in gas tank

salt in gas tank effects

salt in my gas tank

what happens if you put salt in a gas tank

what happens if you put salt on a gas tank
what happens when they put salt in gas tank

what happens when you put salt in a gas tank

what will happen if you put salt in a gas tank
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.