NavbitArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility Performance / Technical info » How to remove the outer joint from the front CV Axle.

Utility Performance / Technical info Utility ATV Performance and Technical Discussions about specific mods, engine upgrades!

Old 12-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #1

How to remove the outer joint from the front CV Axle.

I'm new here but I found a really useful thread on replacing the CV boots after I noticed my outer ones were torn and decided to use it. However after tearing down my front end, I noticed one of the boots had been torn longer than I thought because it had dirt and grit mixed into the grease. Since you have to remove the inner joint to be able to slide the new boot on, how can I clean out the old grease from the outer joint? I saw a post in the how to thread

Quote: Originally Posted by CatKraz View Post
I actualy had to change out the outboard joint, replace the shaft, and put both joints and boots back on..LOL it was a PITA to get the outboard joint off! Took about 2 hours start to finish. You need a strong vice, and a BMFH!!
So I take it that it is possible to do this but obviously pretty difficult. I would think that I do need to do it though to be able to completely clean out the outer joint before greasing it back up and instaling the new boot right? Can someone either tell me how to do it the hard way or tell me an easier way to remove the outer joint from the shaft? Thanks!

EDIT:
BTW I'm working on an '02 AC 400 4X4 Manual.
blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #2

ATV: 08 tcat
2009 Mileage: 600
2008 Mileage: 100
2007 Mileage: 1200
WELCOME!!
like said in the quote you have. put the axle shaft in a vice and give the cv joint a good whack with a BFH! but try not to damage it at the same time. I run mine under high presure hot water to get the grease and dirt out and it worked pretty good. You might not need to take it off to clean it out. Both inner and outer are held on the same, but i have always had better luck taking the inner off.

31"outlaws, 2"lift, burp bottle mod, snorkel, rad relocate, sld pinned, 09 motor, more to come......

sons:
04 eton viper 90

daughter:
02 suzuki 50
blue700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by blue700 View Post
WELCOME!!
like said in the quote you have. put the axle shaft in a vice and give the cv joint a good whack with a BFH! but try not to damage it at the same time. I run mine under high presure hot water to get the grease and dirt out and it worked pretty good. You might not need to take it off to clean it out. Both inner and outer are held on the same, but i have always had better luck taking the inner off.
Ok, so should I use a woodblock or something to actually hit or should I just hit the joint its self? How hard will it be to get it back on once I get it off, cleaned out, and regreased? Thanks!
blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility Performance / Technical info

Search tags for this page

atv suzuki 4x4 how to replace front outer cv joint

how to change cv boot on yamaha kodiak

how to remove rear axle shaft from 620i gator

how to repair jd gator front cv joints 850d

how to replace an outer cv joint boot on an arctic cat atv

how to replace cv joint on john deere gator

how to take end of shaft of to replace cv boot on john deere gator

john deere 620i cv joint repair

remove cv outterjoint shaft

removing and installing front cv joint for a 2002 polaris ranger

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.