Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

How to remove the outer joint from the front CV Axle.

6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  blue 
#1 ·
I'm new here but I found a really useful thread on replacing the CV boots after I noticed my outer ones were torn and decided to use it. However after tearing down my front end, I noticed one of the boots had been torn longer than I thought because it had dirt and grit mixed into the grease. Since you have to remove the inner joint to be able to slide the new boot on, how can I clean out the old grease from the outer joint? I saw a post in the how to thread

I actualy had to change out the outboard joint, replace the shaft, and put both joints and boots back on..LOL it was a PITA to get the outboard joint off! Took about 2 hours start to finish. You need a strong vice, and a BMFH!!
So I take it that it is possible to do this but obviously pretty difficult. I would think that I do need to do it though to be able to completely clean out the outer joint before greasing it back up and instaling the new boot right? Can someone either tell me how to do it the hard way or tell me an easier way to remove the outer joint from the shaft? Thanks!

EDIT:
BTW I'm working on an '02 AC 400 4X4 Manual.

#2 ·
WELCOME!!
like said in the quote you have. put the axle shaft in a vice and give the cv joint a good whack with a BFH! but try not to damage it at the same time. I run mine under high presure hot water to get the grease and dirt out and it worked pretty good. You might not need to take it off to clean it out. Both inner and outer are held on the same, but i have always had better luck taking the inner off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.