Utility Performance / Technical info Utility ATV Performance and Technical Discussions about specific mods, engine upgrades!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #1

Sled: 2007 M1000 162
ATV: 07 650 H1
2 questions to do with the timing chain.

1) Has anyone stretched their timing chain? I did and was told by my dealer that it was due to my 26" mud lites. They said that the torque of the larger than stock tires travels through the drive train until it finds the weakest link, which turns out to be the timing chain.

2) Had the timing chain replaced by the dealer. When I first picked it up, I noticed a bit of blue coming from the exhaust. Asked if it was normal and didn't really get a straight answer from the mechanic. Took it for a ride and it continued blowing blue for the first part of the. Rode about a half hour, maybe 20 kms and stopped for maybe 15 mins. Started it up again and it seemed to have cleared up. Rode the rest of the day and it was fine. Started it the next day and again no blue. My question why would changing the timing chain cause the quad to burn blue and then clear up after a short time?

Obviously, the new timing chain gave me a brand new feeling quad with lots of power.
Holmsey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: None
10-11 Mileage:
09-10 Mileage: Zero
08-09 Mileage: Nope
07-08 Mileage: Not any
06-07 Mileage: Negative
ATV: 07 650 h1
2009 Mileage: 1000
2008 Mileage: 500
All your timing chain does is turn the cam, I don't see ANY way that larger tires would add to stretching your chain.

As for the blue smoke, it is possible that there was just some residuel oil left in the cylender. Did they put new rings in when they had it tore apart, could have just been the rings seating.
Cam
Carb Slide Mod
Muffler Mod
2" Snorkles
DJ needle
08 Airbox
Sanny Steer-Lite caster bushings
///Airdam stage 1 & 2
Bevel gear update
Rad/oil cooler racked
26" Reptiles on ITP 212s
Front and Rear brush guard/bumper
Arctic Cat/Warn winch
Moose Diplomat rear trunk/seat

Her Ride - updated
09 550 TRV
Kimpex 2up trunk
**more to come**

The Boys Ride
80something Yamaha YFM 80
Stock with added headlights
Been riding it since he was 3
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: None
The timing chain is not the weakest link in that equation. The belt is, and trust me, your tires are NOT the cause of that timing chain stretching. If that were true, we'd all be replacing those things as often as we fill the tank with fuel.

I've got a 650H1 with 1,000 miles on it. I've done 2 diff locked burnouts...one with 28" MST Outlaws...and several diff locked burnout tests. I've towed a ton, and worked my machine hard. Timing chain is just fine. Your tires aren't doing it.

I personally would look at the oil you are using, and your chain tensioner. I've heard that cheaper oils will decrease the longevity of the timing chain.
Sanny651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #4
Sponsors

Sponsors
Sled: Black Plastic w/ Cat Green Runners
ATV: 2003 AC 400 Auto
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Holmsey8 @ Oct 18 2010, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
2 questions to do with the timing chain.

1) Has anyone stretched their timing chain? I did and was told by my dealer that it was due to my 26" mud lites. They said that the torque of the larger than stock tires travels through the drive train until it finds the weakest link, which turns out to be the timing chain.

2) Had the timing chain replaced by the dealer. When I first picked it up, I noticed a bit of blue coming from the exhaust. Asked if it was normal and didn't really get a straight answer from the mechanic. Took it for a ride and it continued blowing blue for the first part of the. Rode about a half hour, maybe 20 kms and stopped for maybe 15 mins. Started it up again and it seemed to have cleared up. Rode the rest of the day and it was fine. Started it the next day and again no blue. My question why would changing the timing chain cause the quad to burn blue and then clear up after a short time?

Obviously, the new timing chain gave me a brand new feeling quad with lots of power.[/b]
What a load a

Please look at the link below for my products and pricing.
http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/rtr-custom-fabrication/

Need a Service Manual? You can download a free one here:
http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Arctic-Cat-ATV-Repair-and-Service-Manuals/

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"
We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing.
ricktherocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #5

ATV: THUNDERCAT; 700H1
2010 Mileage: 600
2009 Mileage: 600
2008 Mileage: 350
2007 Mileage: 200
2006 Mileage: 200
I second that ^^^^^ What a load of I would be looking for a better dealer.
2006 DVX 90cc
Running Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #6

Sled: sold
ATV: 09 700mp
2009 Mileage: so far 4200
sounds like your dealer hasnt got a clue,, timing chains stretch from excessive high rpm reving,also cams with high lift and springs with more open and seat pressures,,,,
also bouncing off the rev limiter doesnt help either as that stresses the chain as well..
under normal driving conditions id say you get about 3500 to 4000 miles before needing replacement..
4WHL DISC BRAKES
ELKA STG 4 REAR SHOCKS
ELKA STG 2 FRONT SHOCKS
PRECISION STEERING DAMPER
GOIN CRAWLIN
NUFF SAID
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
catwalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #7

I was getting the sense the they didn't really have any idea. I am using Arctic Cat oil. I know not totally necessary, but I want to make sure I am covered as the machine is still under warranty. I purchased the 4 year warranty and it is the best thing I ever bought as it has paid for itself 10 fold. The top end was just rebuilt in the spring of 09. I have had a lot of issues with this 07 650 H1 and am ready to move on from it and Artic Cat all together. Whenever I ride this machine I have to take it in for one reason or another. Believe me it is not due to abuse. Yeah I "ride it" but I don't do anything that the guys I am with aren't doing. I had an 06 400 FIS and it was by far a better machine. Not even close to the problem's I've had piece of crap 650.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
If that dealership has been doing those repairs, I'd tend to think that THEY might be the cause of the failures, not the machine itself. It says a lot about the dealership's knowledge and skillset when they make comments such as tires stretching the timing chain. I wouldn't trust someone like that to change my oil, let alone do something like a top end.

Could be the dealership which is the root cause of your recurrent issues with your 650h1.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #9

Speaking of changing oil, when the dealer rebuilt my top end they used 10-40 regular oil. Took it in for an oil change and valve adjustment at the required interval. This time they used 5-40 oil. Now after they replaced my timing chain I see they have gone ACX Synthetic. Is this normal procedure for an engine? I am wondering if it has anything to do with why I was blowing blue during the first part of last weekends ride?
Old 10-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Well, I know that if you're using conventional oil, I personally would opt to use a heavier weighted oil in the summer, and a lighter weighted oil in the winter. I run 0-40 Amsoil Synthetic in mine year round, but again, that's synthetic. Maybe that's why they changed the weight of the oil as well?

As for the type of oil they used, I would have done what they did in using conventional oil after a top end rebuild. You want some heat generated so that the rings seat properly. Once seated, I would change over to synthetic.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility Performance / Technical info

Search tags for this page
04 artic cat timing chain value

2006 artic cat 650h1 timming chain adjust

2011 arctic cat mud pro 650 timing
90cc arctic cat atv timing marks

arctic cat 650 h1 timing chain install

artic cat 650 timming marks

how to set timing chain on yfm80

set tining chain on a aritac cat 650 2006

stretched timing chain for fourwheeler arctic cat 650 h1

yfm 80 timing chain slack

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.