Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Jetted Carb---Now hard start...please help

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  gixxerr750 
#1 ·
So I snorkeled my 2005 500 manual today using 2" all the way. the factory airbox hose was 2". I also installed a dyno jet jet kit. factory main was 138. installed 142 main. and put the air mix at 1 1/2 out as in the instructions. now when I try to start it I have to hold the throttle wide open. only way it will start. even when warmed up. Wondering why I have to hold the throttle wide open?????? Also when I removed the electric choke I unscrewed the screw holding it in and then pulled it strait out. is this the correct way? I figured if I broke it some how that it should start up normally when warmed up right?? need some help.

thanks,
Mark

p.s. ill add pics soon of snorkel

#3 ·
You can get more air by reducing the number of bends in the snorkel. It looks good, but that top 180 bend that you have is restricting air. Longer lengths also add to air restriction.

Is your choke plugged in? How does it run once it's started? How about when you ride it around?

#5 ·
Once running it runs like it never has. I can totally see the increase in power. was very impressed by performance gain. runs great. choke is plugged in cuz it will idle high when first started then idle down like it should. and i am running stock pilot jet because the kit only came with main jet and needle. needle is set to the #3 groove as stated in instructions. I used the stock hose coming off the air box just reversed it and ran it out straight instead of going around the side as it was stock. so it only has the 3 90's on it. you think the extra 90 on the top would keep it from starting? and if i have to hold it wide open does that mean its getting to much or to little air??? thanks for all the help

#6 ·
I'm going to take a stab at this. There are two parts in your carburetor that control air and fuel flow. The butterfly valve and the diaphragm slide. Even though you are opening the butterfly all the way when starting, the slide is still closed. But when you open the butterfly you are increasing more engine vacuum to the needle jet and slide which in turn would suck more fuel from the needle jet port as engine vacuum would start to open the slide when cranking on it.

So what does that mean, Ignore the directions from dynajet. You are lean on the pilot and the PMS. I'd first try opening the PMS another full turn to 2 1/2 turns open. I'm thinking that will cure your problem. If not, you may have to bump up the pilot jet 1 size as well. Also many times you'll be able to increase performance by raising your needle another notch to the 4th from the top instead of the center notch. Just something to try, may not help or may help.

The the pinned section there is a thread called Jetting 101. Lots of additional ideas there. Also reading the entire text is a cure of insomnia too. There is a method described there that will optimize the PMS adjustment. and instructions on how to perform plug chops and reading your plug burn for sizing the pilot, needle height and main jet size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.