Utility Performance / Technical info Utility ATV Performance and Technical Discussions about specific mods, engine upgrades!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #1

I'm fishing for a bit of advice. We run an independent shop, and work on just about all legitimate brands of motorcycles and ATVs. With EFI and electronic controls getting more and more prevalent, it is getting more difficult to perform diagnostics in a timely fashion. In the automotive world they adopted OBDII which somewhat standardized the diagnostics port, and allows a shop to have one scan tool that works for many brands. I've been doing some research, and there are various brands who all claim to be the absolutely best thing since sliced bread. I am looking for real-world feedback as to what works, what doesn't work, and what the limitations are. Also, it appears that just about none have much in the way of Polaris functionality, and we get bombarded with PoPos with EFI and electrical issues. All opinions are welcome!!
tjfdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #2

ATV: ThunderLemon 1000
2008 Mileage: Depends upon Fa
For an Arctic Cat scan tool i use a paper clip to short out the two bottom wires on the diagnostic plug, turn on ignition and read the codes on the LCD display, the codes will be listed as either SC stored code (triggered in the past) or AC active codes (Currently triggered) The codes are reset by shorting out the two wires above and then turning on the ignition while in 4x4 and holding the reverse override button, Should clear to a AC00. The service manual will list out the meanings of all codes. I believe they are the same for all Cat EFI machines.

I've heard of a factory scan tool that allows further in site into what the ECU is doing and can adjust fuel map tables, but also heard that it is very very expensive and not commonly available to anyone but dealers????? Not sure about that, I've never been able to confirm either way.

Troubleshooting First Steps, An amazing number of problems are cured with just these two items.

1. Make sure your battery is FULLY Charged.
2. Try a new spark plug.

Search threads, Check Pinned Section. Pinned Topics Manual or wiring diagram? Manuals
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index...._Diagrams.html

Improving Search.

Better results when searching for specific information. To find threads where ALL the words, instead of ANY of the words "650H1, Carb, Jetting, Needle Jet, Snorkel" were found...Open up a search window in www.google.com In the find box type without the quotes "650H1 Carb Jetting Needle Jet Snorkel site:Arcticchat.com" & Press return. Find threads, replies or topics by a specific member; just by inserting their user name into the search list; Chances are, your problem is NOT unique and it has been solved many times before.

Are you in a hurry to get an answer?
Use the Google Search Tip
Wyo_H1_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:55 AM   #3

Thanks for the feedback, Wyo. Retrieving codes is usually easy enough, but we need to go deeper, and be able to prove/monitor sensors, etc. Many times we are able to unearth a broken wire, or a damaged plug or pin, but if a component is flaky, but does not set a code, it can be a bear to track down without wasting a bunch of shop time. We won't charge beyond an agreed upon amount of diagnostic time, and I can't afford to burn up tech time for free. Just trying to improve the arsenal.
tjfdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #4

ATV: 09 T-Cat
Man I think your gonna have to go basic here. Get a good multi-meter such as a Fluke and start backpining connectors. Start at the ECU and see what kind of voltage readings your getting and compare to what I should be (ought to be in service manuals). If you find a problem at the ECU recheck at the sensor and verify problem there, if still showing a problem most likely that sensor, if not showing a problem once tested at the sensor then its wireing. I'm about 99.9% positive the Cat service manuals tell you what the reading should be when doing this on a Cat EFI bike. Doing this will show you the same info a scanner will just more time consuming.
Radiator Racked
B&J Radiator Bracket
B&J 2.5" Lift
B&J Tie Rods
B&J Spring Spacers
Modded Exhaust
30" Backs 14" ITP Type 7's
3.0 Warn
6K HID's
Backup Lights
//AIRDAM Cluster Mod White #'s Green Needle

</div>

Photos http://community.webshots.com/user/boaty3
Videos http://www.youtube.com/baddasscat700
boaty3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility Performance / Technical info

Search tags for this page
arctic cat code reader
arctic cat diagnostic software

arctic cat diagnostic tool

arctic cat diagnostic tools

arctic cat scan tool

arctic cat snowmobile scan tool
artic cat scan tool
polaris atv scan tool

polaris scan tool

snowmobile diagnostic scanner
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.