Utility Performance / Technical info Utility ATV Performance and Technical Discussions about specific mods, engine upgrades!

Old 04-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #1

ATV: ThunderLemon 1000
2008 Mileage: Depends upon Fa
Trying an experiment. had the Tcat tore down for a good cleaning and other work And while I was at it, I pulled off the entire intake manifold. The inside surface of the Y-Tube and the Ells that attach to the cylinders is a very jagged rough sand cast aluminum. Had some **** that were large enough that looked like they could break off from vibration and be sucked into the cylinder The casting on the inside was lot rougher than it was on the outside surface. Also the rubber sleeves that connect the Ells to the Y-tube have an internal flange or lip whose ID is smaller then the ID of the Ells and the Elbows. This induces a lip about 1/8 high that intrudes into the air flow pathway almost all the way around and reduces the inside ID of the manifold about an 1/4"

I trimmed the rubber flange so the ID is now equal, and while I was at it, with a dremel and a couple flap wheels in 120 grit I cleaned up all the rough casting to a near smooth surface. Will this work in improving air flow into the engine? I can't help but think that it will, especially at higher RPMs.

Don't ask me if I've seen any performance improvement because I'm still working on the cat, doing a throughout inspection and adjusting of valves and everything else yet. It will be a few days before I get a chance to take it out and see if there are any gains. I suspect there will be some, how much is anyone's guess, maybe not even enough to feel the difference. But every bit helps right?

A picture of the finished manifold showing the semi smooth surface. Take my word for it, this is a 1000 times smoother then it was
Attached Thumbnails
Intake manafold-04132010030.jpg  

Troubleshooting First Steps, An amazing number of problems are cured with just these two items.

1. Make sure your battery is FULLY Charged.
2. Try a new spark plug.

Search threads, Check Pinned Section. Pinned Topics Manual or wiring diagram? Manuals
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index...._Diagrams.html

Improving Search.

Better results when searching for specific information. To find threads where ALL the words, instead of ANY of the words "650H1, Carb, Jetting, Needle Jet, Snorkel" were found...Open up a search window in www.google.com In the find box type without the quotes "650H1 Carb Jetting Needle Jet Snorkel site:Arcticchat.com" & Press return. Find threads, replies or topics by a specific member; just by inserting their user name into the search list; Chances are, your problem is NOT unique and it has been solved many times before.

Are you in a hurry to get an answer?
Use the Google Search Tip
Wyo_H1_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 04-15-2010, 06:26 PM   #2

Sled: -
08-09 Mileage: -
07-08 Mileage: -
06-07 Mileage: -
ATV: 2008 700H1
2008 Mileage: 2000
2007 Mileage: 2200
2006 Mileage: 2200
yes it will helo increase air velocity however sometimes the manufacturers rough sand cast the inner parts of the intake manifolds on cars to increase heat dispersion and promote turbulence in the intake runners. the rough casting allows there to be lots more surface area inside the manifold which dissapates heat alot faster than a smooth finish. will you see gains? most likely yes. will the IATs rise? most likely by 1-2 degrees but i would not think more than 5. i started out as a fabricator and built myself some forward facing sheet metal intake manifolds for a few high HP engines i was into building at the time and ended up getting into the intake making business for a while. i found out that the rougher the surface on the inside of the intakes, the cooler the outside of the intake stayed (dissapating heat) we were running AEM standalones with IAT sensors and wideband tuners and you could clearly see the IATs were higher after a pass on a smoothed intake versus sometimes 10-15 degrees cooler with a non-smoothed intake. those few degrees may cost you 1-5hp. nothing serious but still was a negative side effect. on all factory intakes they leave the intakes rough to promote turbulence, does it work? heck i know on a race head you want it to flow as much as you can as fast as you can. with my intakes on a flowbench, there was no change in the CFMs in the two intakes, the smoothed out inside of the intake versus the rough surfaced intake. they both flowed the same, one just dissapated heat better.
///AIRDAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #3

I see what you are saying. And would say that yes a rough surface could transfer heat better and if the intake air internal was hotter then surrounding outside air then what you are saying would be true. That I agree, however in the Cat intake manifold heat comes from outside the manifold and through convection from the heads. So if I do in fact experience less heat transfer then it should be less likely to transfer external engine heat to the cooler airflow flowing inside.

Granted turbulence can help induce swirl and a better Air/fuel mix in the cylinders in theory. In practice I've I've never seen anyone actually get any performance improvement or mileage improvement from those turbo-vane tornado snake oil intake tube insert devices. But many have seen improvement from a well made smooth polished tube cold air intake system on trucks and automobiles. Based upon my own experiences in the past I'm confident that I'll experience no loss in power and might actually improve it. And my own knowledge in temperature transfer Along with a fair amount of hot rodding knowledge, I'm less likely to have external engine heat transferred to the intake airflow inside the manifold because of the semi polished surface. So in reality I'm extending the practice of cold air larger bore intakes.

Use a dull rough surface where you want heat to escape or transfer and a smooth bright surface where you want to reflect or minimize a temperature change. The ambient temperature between the two cylinders of the Tcat is HOT. I do not want this high external temperature being transferred to the cooler intake air flowing inside the manifold. Also the smoother surface help increase air velocity which should help charge the cylinders at higher RPMs

As for your sheetmetal manifolds, Mass mean a lot in temperature transfer, Lightweight mass changes temperature absorbs and radiates a lot faster then thick cast iron would. Although mass does hold heat longer too. On top of an V-8 there is a lot of heat radiating from the lifter galley underneath that gets a lot of hot oil splash. You would want to expel heat from the manifold since air temperature inside the manifold is probably higher then the air temperature outside in the engine compartment at low to middle RPMs

Troubleshooting First Steps, An amazing number of problems are cured with just these two items.

2. Try a new spark plug.

Search threads, Check Pinned Section. Pinned Topics Manual or wiring diagram? Manuals

Improving Search.

Better results when searching for specific information. To find threads where ALL the words, instead of ANY of the words "650H1, Carb, Jetting, Needle Jet, Snorkel" were found...Open up a search window in www.google.com In the find box type without the quotes "650H1 Carb Jetting Needle Jet Snorkel site:Arcticchat.com" & Press return. Find threads, replies or topics by a specific member; just by inserting their user name into the search list; Chances are, your problem is NOT unique and it has been solved many times before.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
Super Moderator

ArcticChat.com Moderator  
Super Moderator
Sled: 1999/2002 ThunderCat.
10-11 Mileage: 1000+
09-10 Mileage: 1400+/_
08-09 Mileage: 1000+/_
ATV: 2009 Thundercat
2010 Mileage: 500+/-
2009 Mileage: 500+/-
2008 Mileage: 500+/-
2007 Mileage: 1000+/-
2006 Mileage: 968
INTERESTING !

MudPro Snorkels, Shocks/Springs and Axels
Speedwerx slip on
MTI Arched lower A-arms
AIRDAM 5+ Clutching
PC5
Gorilla Prop Shaft & HD Tie Rods
RTR Steer-Lite bushing kit
29.5" Termies on 14" Aluminum Crush Locks
Drilled and Pinned SLD
3.6 diffs with rear RDC billet cover
Burp Bottle Mod
3rd crankcase vent
Back Warn 3000 winch
AC Handle Bar/Thumb Warmers & Hand Guards
ProTaper Contour ATV Handle Bars
ROX Speed FX 3" Pivot Riser & aluminum dash
More coming soon.....
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: 2004 Arctic Cat 800 LE
2007 Mileage: 650
2006 Mileage: 300
I thought the intake needed to be course to mix the fuel and air better.
EPI wieghts
FST cams and valve springs
dynatek CDI module
28" Mudlites
26" outlaws
Hosstoppers
V-Force crank and rods
FST 765 Big Bore Kit
200 front jet 195 rear jet
Speedwerx exhaust
open air box
Ram GPS mount
BF 750 Belt
carb slide mod
ported heads
K&N air filter
YZF oil catch can
HighLifter Oil Coooler
Arctic Cat Plow
Temp Gauge
AC brush guard
AC rear bumper
Shane Mod
vision 161 brusier wheels
1" handlebar riser
front and rear brake levers
inner fender wells
Arctic FX custom decals
CrazyYooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #6

Sled: -
08-09 Mileage: -
07-08 Mileage: -
06-07 Mileage: -
ATV: 2008 700H1
2008 Mileage: 2000
2007 Mileage: 2200
2006 Mileage: 2200
that is on carb bikes. the EFI bikes do it all on its own in the combustion chamber. the intake on the T-cats does not carry the fuel, the injector sprays into the base of the intake runner so the air traveling thru the intake has no fuel mixed with it. it is just air flowing thru an intake.

and you are correct wyo you will not likely see any losses. i forsee some gains in the high RPM department for sure. and you are right in the thinking of heat transfer on this small of an engine, and with the little amount of heat you are actually working with there is not likely going to be an ounce of difference either way so just rock out. it definitely looks better smooth
///AIRDAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: None
10-11 Mileage:
09-10 Mileage: Zero
08-09 Mileage: Nope
07-08 Mileage: Not any
06-07 Mileage: Negative
ATV: 07 650 h1
2009 Mileage: 1000
2008 Mileage: 500
I would say that your biggest gain is going to be from removing that lip on the flanges. If you look at a head ported by a professional you will notice that the intake runners are a rougher surface (about like the surface on Airdams clutches, maybe not quite as course). This was explained to me by someone with flow bench/porting experiance. According to him the rougher surface actually speeds up the air, reason being that it kind of creates turbulance, but not like a mixing turbulance. It allows air to, for lack of a better term, barrel roll, a very small amount right by the surface and the main flow of air actually rides on top of this "barrel rolling" air.

Picture your pick up truck with the tail gate up, the air rolls behind your cab (barrel rolls) so the air comming over the cab rides on that barrel roll and the majority misses your tail gate so you get better gas mileage/less drag. (see mythbusters episode on gas mileage)

So I would say trim/smooth out all of your lips and take a sanding roll on your die grinder and leave that sanded finish on them and enjoy the new found airflow.
Cam
Carb Slide Mod
Muffler Mod
2" Snorkles
DJ needle
08 Airbox
Sanny Steer-Lite caster bushings
///Airdam stage 1 & 2
Bevel gear update
Rad/oil cooler racked
26" Reptiles on ITP 212s
Front and Rear brush guard/bumper
Arctic Cat/Warn winch
Moose Diplomat rear trunk/seat

Her Ride - updated
09 550 TRV
Kimpex 2up trunk
**more to come**

The Boys Ride
80something Yamaha YFM 80
Stock with added headlights
Been riding it since he was 3
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #8

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
 Quote:
I would say that your biggest gain is going to be from removing that lip on the flanges. If you look at a head ported by a professional you will notice that the intake runners are a rougher surface (about like the surface on Airdams clutches, maybe not quite as course). This was explained to me by someone with flow bench/porting experiance. According to him the rougher surface actually speeds up the air, reason being that it kind of creates turbulance, but not like a mixing turbulance. It allows air to, for lack of a better term, barrel roll, a very small amount right by the surface and the main flow of air actually rides on top of this "barrel rolling" air.

Picture your pick up truck with the tail gate up, the air rolls behind your cab (barrel rolls) so the air comming over the cab rides on that barrel roll and the majority misses your tail gate so you get better gas mileage/less drag. (see mythbusters episode on gas mileage)

So I would say trim/smooth out all of your lips and take a sanding roll on your die grinder and leave that sanded finish on them and enjoy the new found airflow.[/b]
I agree fully, I am not polished mirror smooth its just the finish from 120 grit flap sandpaper wheels, because of what you say, it looks more polished then it really is in the picture from the glare in taking the photo. I've done flow benching in the past so know that too smooth isn't right either. The key is to get a thin layer of air trapped along the walls in the roughness. Then the friction of air against air is lower. But when the roughness is jagged and causes turbulence and back flow eddy's or reverse vortexes that's too rough

What you are describing is the golf ball dimple affect, Did you ever see that Myth Busters episode where they took clay and added it to the outside surface of an automobile made big golf ball dimples and got better mileage even though they added close to 1500 lbs of extra weight from the clay?

2. Try a new spark plug.

Improving Search.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: None
10-11 Mileage:
09-10 Mileage: Zero
08-09 Mileage: Nope
07-08 Mileage: Not any
06-07 Mileage: Negative
ATV: 07 650 h1
2009 Mileage: 1000
2008 Mileage: 500
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wyo_H1_Cat @ Apr 15 2010, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
 Quote:

So I would say trim/smooth out all of your lips and take a sanding roll on your die grinder and leave that sanded finish on them and enjoy the new found airflow.[/b]
I agree fully, I am not polished mirror smooth its just the finish from 120 grit flap sandpaper wheels, because of what you say, it looks more polished then it really is in the picture from the glare in taking the photo. I've done flow benching in the past so know that too smooth isn't right either. The key is to get a thin layer of air trapped along the walls in the roughness. Then the friction of air against air is lower. But when the roughness is jagged and causes turbulence and back flow eddy's or reverse vortexes that's too rough

What you are describing is the golf ball dimple affect, Did you ever see that Myth Busters episode where they took clay and added it to the outside surface of an automobile made big golf ball dimples and got better mileage even though they added close to 1500 lbs of extra weight from the clay?
[/b][/quote]

Exactlly, less friction air to air vs air to metal, and definatly flows faster than turbulent air. Looks good man
Cam
Carb Slide Mod
Muffler Mod
2" Snorkles
DJ needle
08 Airbox
Sanny Steer-Lite caster bushings
///Airdam stage 1 & 2
Bevel gear update
Rad/oil cooler racked
26" Reptiles on ITP 212s
Front and Rear brush guard/bumper
Arctic Cat/Warn winch
Moose Diplomat rear trunk/seat

Her Ride - updated
09 550 TRV
Kimpex 2up trunk
**more to come**

The Boys Ride
80something Yamaha YFM 80
Stock with added headlights
Been riding it since he was 3
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #10
Super Moderator

ArcticChat.com Moderator  
Super Moderator
Sled: trash can lid behind the Dmax.
07-08 Mileage: 1/4 mile, then lid hit a tree.
ATV: 400 auto, 650H1
2007 Mileage: 500
2006 Mileage: 3500
Im sure there are so many factors to consider, but I think of porting and polishing heads and 2stroke cylinders. The diesel forum I go to for Chevs talks about polishing the intake into the turbo and getting great results. I never thought there may be a negative to basically stock motors to polish cast parts.

CMTRA , our local club. fighting to keep our trails open! http://www.cmtrail.org/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/pages/CMTRA-...93497480714904

Unfortunately,,we have to comply with designated routes,,no more free for all, dang it!!
http://staythetrail.org/
400crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility Performance / Technical info

Search tags for this page
1986 yamaha yfm80 wiring diagram
1999 articat 300 all terrain atv air box manifolds
3084143 manifold polaris 400
3084143 polaris
arctic cat intake manifold
arctic cat wildcat intake manifold
intake boot 3084143
intake manifold for arctic cat 250 atv
no manafold press 3046 b cat engine

polaris 3084143

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.