Utility Performance / Technical info Utility ATV Performance and Technical Discussions about specific mods, engine upgrades!

Old 07-22-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: None
I might have a dead coil. I have no spark. Started up the quad, moved it back 15 feet and shut it off. Couple hours later, I went to start it and no dice. Turns over, but no spark. So that is why I need to check the coil.

On a possibly related note, do the plugs for the H1 come with the smaller threaded end or do they come with the fatter "cap" that goes on the end of the plug? The plug I was sold at Napa is the smaller end, but the plug wire looks like it takes the capped plug.

Thanks fellas.
Sanny651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-22-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
One more thing to note is that I just checked the little wire that goes to the coil...not the plug wire, but the wire with the spade connector that goes to the coil. Yep, she's plenty juiced alright. Nearly 400VDC. Got zinged really quick. I might lose that nail. At any rate, I'm thinking the coil is shot especially after these findings.

Thoughts?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:56 PM   #3

ATV: 06 V2
2007 Mileage: 450
2006 Mileage: 950
Sent you a message Sanny, I have the info you are looking for but getting it to you is proving to be difficult, hope you can make sense of the message.
exhaust snorkel
Rear fender protectors
Dalton clutch springs
Temp gauge
Amp gauge
roddy-75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Got it. Thanks man! I'll give it a shot when I get home from work today and report back wtih my results.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:32 AM   #5

ATV: 07 650 H1 4x4
2007 Mileage: 550
Plug needs a screw on cover, I had to steal one from another plug. Easy way to test a coil is to use a Multimeter and check between plug wire and ground for juice. If it isn't there move back to the input of coil for juice.

Good luck bub!

US Navy - Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it.
professorparadigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
there's power coming to the coil. I got zapped by it....boy did I get zapped. I went back and tested the voltage level....400+ volts! ouch. Noticed that it took about 30 seconds for it to go from 400 volts down to 0 volts, so take note of that should you need to work on that system. There must be a capacitor somewhere that retains a charge??

I tried the multimeter gig between the plug wire and ground....nothing. All signs lead to coil, but I figured I'd make sure before dropping $100 on an electrical part I can't return.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #7

ATV: 07 650 H1 4x4
2007 Mileage: 550
Sound like you have it. How many shades of blue is your finger?

US Navy - Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it.
professorparadigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:15 PM   #8
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Well, the plot thickens. Changed the plug. The old one was well fouled. So I put the plug in the boot and grounded it to the exhaust. It sparked...then stopped....then started again, then stopped. Crap! Intermittent electrical. Nuts.

Soooo, with the help of CrazyYooper over the phone, we started diving into it. I will be tackling more tomorrow night. Thus far, my coil appears to be fine as does the ignition wire. However, I'll be checking that more as we go.

I was getting over 400VDC when turning it over. Per the manual, it's suppose to have 142.4-213.6VDC. Coil resistance is within specs, as is the ignition wire. I took my ignition wire off and ohm'd it out while bending and twisting it and the ohm rating didn't change so that's fine.

The one thing that strikes me as odd is that I believe I'm suppose to get roughly 35V with the key on between the primary and ground. I get zero.

Thoughts?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #9

Sled: 600 Formula III
ATV: 05 500 Arctic Cat
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Jul 24 2007, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
Well, the plot thickens. Changed the plug. The old one was well fouled. So I put the plug in the boot and grounded it to the exhaust. It sparked...then stopped....then started again, then stopped. Crap! Intermittent electrical. Nuts.

Soooo, with the help of CrazyYooper over the phone, we started diving into it. I will be tackling more tomorrow night. Thus far, my coil appears to be fine as does the ignition wire. However, I'll be checking that more as we go.

I was getting over 400VDC when turning it over. Per the manual, it's suppose to have 142.4-213.6VDC. Coil resistance is within specs, as is the ignition wire. I took my ignition wire off and ohm'd it out while bending and twisting it and the ohm rating didn't change so that's fine.

The one thing that strikes me as odd is that I believe I'm suppose to get roughly 35V with the key on between the primary and ground. I get zero.

Thoughts?[/b]
If your not getting stable power to your coil and you don't think you there is anything wrong with your harness between the coils and your CDI your next stop is your CDI which also makes sense if you are getting a much higher voltage on the primary side ignition cycle. I don' t suppose you know anybody close with a 650 so you can test your CDI or theirs on your bike. Also make sure your are getting a stable source of power to your CDI although if you weren't I don't see why that would cause such high voltage on the primary side. Good luck what ever it is.

Whoops just noticed you have an H1 same applies except you only have one coil and the CDI is powered slightly different which would would even more so point towards a CDI issue.
Kick-It-Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #10
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
One interesting note too is that my voltage from the primary wire (disconnected) to ground is reading negative. My red (positive) probe is on the primary lead and the black (negative) lead is on ground.

I don't get why I would have voltage when the wire is disconnected, but when I connect it to the coil, I then have no voltage.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility Performance / Technical info

Search tags for this page
08 arctic cat atv ignition coil testing

arctic cat coil testing

arctic cat ignition coil test

does a arctic cat 300 1999 have a trigger coil
how do you check coilon 2006 arctic cat
how do you test coil on 2006 atctic cat 400 fis automactic
how to check a coil on a 07 arctic cat
how to check a coil on a atv
how to test atv coil
what should the readings be with a multimeater on coil for 2006 arcticcat 400 fis
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.