Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

outer front cv joint

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DaveB 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I just got those new mud lites xtr 14", 15 miles into our ride, in the mud not to hard, I blew out the front outer cv joint, so I tied up the shaft from flopping around with a ton of zip ties and finished out the day taking it easy, maybe another 15 miles, I read a few post on here about replacing the joints, so a few questions,

1. is this going to happen on a regular bases, blowing these joints out with these tires?

2. is it just easier to replace the whole shaft and inner outer joint assembly as one piece? has anyone ordered one of these? does the boots and everything come as one fully assembled piece and you don't have to put any boots, grease, bands on?

3. is there aftermarket ones that are better then the arctic cat ones? and where is a good place to get them. I really don't want to be replacing these on a regular bases, if it means getting rid of the new mud lites.

thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
I just replaced an outter CV joint on my 650. Can't think of the name of the site.(Go to Yahoo.com and search for Arctic Cat CV Joint. It'll take you to a place that sells them for $80 shipped!)

If I think of it I'll post the site.

#3 ·
from what I have seen,the half shafts are not that less than a whole shaft(ac) Gorilla makes axles but have herd lots of good and a little bad about them. I would consider a whole axle and keep the better part of the old shaft for spare parts. The wider tires probable will be tougher on your axles so it might be a good time to upgrade to a stouter axle.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I think I going to order the whole shaft, do you know if you order the whole works, does it come all together with the boots banded on and greased? and do you have to have any special tools to put them together? I see there is a tool for that band,,,

#6 ·
Ok, how exactly does the shaft and inner cv joint come away from the diff? there is a like tin ring that goes around it that has like a step in it, does this have to be pryed away to uncover the c-clip? and will the new shaft have a new tin ring on it?

sorry for the questions guys, don't want to screw it up.

#7 ·
you cant get at the clip on the inside just grab the axle shaft push it in all the way then give it a quick jerk out thats if your changing the complete axle if your changing the outer with the shaft you have to remove the inner boot then a big clip to remove the axle leaving the hub in the diff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.