Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

synthetic whinch rope

5K views 45 replies 15 participants last post by  jdeerela 
#1 ·
ive been thinking of replacing my steal winch cable with synthetic rope. anyone use it or know the good and bad points i gues you also have to replace the fairlead as well any suggestions I dunno

#3 ·
I have been using it for a couple years now. The cable did not take long to mess up and turn into a pile of junk.

The rope is just as strong,floats,goes in and out easy,easy on the hands and for the tree huggers it dosen't leave a bad mark. I give it 100%

Let me know if there are anymore questions...

#4 ·
Yeah, if the cable ever snaps while under tension, it can whip someone and cause serious injury. You have to stand clear of the thing.

If the rope lets go, it harmlessly falls limp and drops to the ground.

Some of the ATV guys mentioned this quite some time ago in another thread.

Seen both types fail since.

#6 ·
Originally posted by HungryCat650V-Twin@Jan 29 2005, 05:16 PM
One artical I read from I think it was Samson/Amsteel blue said just make sure there are no burrs on the roller fairlead and you will be fine running roller fairleads with rope.
I'm not going to change my fairlead out. From my experience, I'm only pinched for the 1st few feet if any at all. Maybe I'm the only one but when I start winching I aim the quad right at where I'm winching. I dunno

#7 ·
Originally posted by HungryCat650V-Twin@Jan 29 2005, 06:16 PM
One artical I read from I think it was Samson/Amsteel blue said just make sure there are no burrs on the roller fairlead and you will be fine running roller fairleads with rope.
Yeah, the spectra cord seems to be just fine on the rollers.

Probably because I didn't really have the steel rope in there for very long. And never actually used it before I swapped it out for the spectra mountian climing cord... So the rollers are still nick free.

#8 ·
Originally posted by customcat650@Jan 29 2005, 04:28 PM
ive been thinking of replacing my steal winch cable with synthetic rope. anyone use it or know the good and bad points i gues you also have to replace the fairlead as well any suggestions I dunno
You ask for bad points and I honestly cant think of any. It is better than steel in every way. Plus you can get it on eBay for about 30 bucks delivered.

#9 ·
What size would you put on a 300lb winch?

#10 ·
Originally posted by modn+Jan 29 2005, 08:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (modn @ Jan 29 2005, 08:20 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-HungryCat650V-Twin
@Jan 29 2005, 05:16 PM
I'm not going to change my fairlead out. From my experience, I'm only pinched for the 1st few feet if any at all. Maybe I'm the only one but when I start winching I aim the quad right at where I'm winching. I dunno [/b]
That is the best thing to do but sometimes we have to winch to extreme angles,just no choice. I dunno my2cents

#11 ·
When I installed my winch Friday night, I noticed that the cable was pretty messed up. I am looking at the synthetic rope, too. I like the look of the roller fairlead, so since mine's been used quite a bit, I'll just buy a shiny new one!

#12 ·
Originally posted by Steve M Jr+Jan 29 2005, 11:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve M Jr @ Jan 29 2005, 11:17 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-customcat650
@Jan 29 2005, 04:28 PM
You ask for bad points and I honestly cant think of any. It is better than steel in every way. Plus you can get it on eBay for about 30 bucks delivered. [/b]
Where on Ebay?

#14 ·
yea, i'd like to switch over, my warn's cable it came with is purty gaped up, it need's to be retired any link's to where you can get the stuff ?

#17 ·
What size is the cable that is on the 2500lb warn winch 3/16 or 1/4. Then if I go to the 3/16 amsteel rope, can I fit more than 50' on it? I dunno

#19 ·
Here is another one >< I posted it on discussion instead of here. Does anyone think there would be a problem going to 3/16" for rope?? 5400# capacity I dunno

#21 ·
Originally posted by HungryCat650V-Twin+Jan 30 2005, 08:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HungryCat650V-Twin @ Jan 30 2005, 08:49 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-modn
@Jan 30 2005, 08:31 PM
Here is another one ><  I posted it on discussion instead of here.  Does anyone think there would be a problem going to 3/16" for rope?? 5400# capacity  I dunno
At 5.400lbs I don't see why it would be a problem. Your site also sells it in 10' increments. That's cool. [/b]
That is why I was wondering, if they normally take 1/4", I would like to go to 3/16" and add 10' to it. Just a thought I guess. But at 5000+ lbs. That shouldn't break on a 2500# winch even maxed out with a snatch hook or without, right??

#24 ·
Originally posted by HungryCat650V-Twin@Jan 30 2005, 08:55 PM
Damn Walt...You will be at 2 grand by tomorrow evening.
Wow, no kidding!! That is what happens when your wife goes to visit her mother and father for the weekend, and leaves me here with the 2 1/2 and 1 year old. Not much to talk about. We played with play doh today and that was pretty fun though!!! We also went out sledding since it was 28° today and yesterday, but other than that it was pretty boring not to talk to an adult.

#25 ·
Originally posted by HungryCat650V-Twin+Jan 30 2005, 08:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HungryCat650V-Twin @ Jan 30 2005, 08:54 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-modn
@Jan 30 2005, 08:24 PM
What size is the cable that is on the 2500lb warn winch 3/16 or 1/4.
I just looked and the Warn 2.5K winch has 50' of 3/16" cable. [/b]
I guess I will stay with the 3/16"x50' for $39 then. That isn't too bad of a price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.