Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Arctic Cat 250 utility, auto, hi/Lo range kymco

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  LRB1001 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Arctic Cat 250 utility ATV 2wheel drive CVT automatic w. external clutch system by kymco.

The issue that I am having is that the ATV will lurch and jerk momentarily, but only under load and only in high range.
If the atv is on blocks and I hold the brake to create load it will create the jerk and then create a noticeable drive-line clunking noise.

It doesn't feel like an engine miss but a drive-line or transmission, I could be wrong there. The motor idles smooth and revs freely.

Things I have checked already:

Had the transmission apart and inspected all the gears and bearings including forward shift mechanism gears-all look good, bearings smooth without apparent play.

90 degree bevel gears have one spot a bit higher up that have some very slight burring, but seemed minor, the rest of the gear (both) looks fine.

Driveshaft splines look good, u-joints have a little play but not much.
External secondary clutch I noted that the fingers are worn down especially leading edges........ Not sure what spec is.
Clutch Bell is true and doesn't appear warped, but it is blue on the outer edges.

Belt looks like it has plenty of life left in it.

Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated, I don't want to throw money at it until I am sure what might be the problem. I can post a short video of the problem in action if needed.

Thanks for any help.

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a 2008 Arctic Cat 250 utility ATV 2wheel drive CVT automatic w. external clutch system by kymco.

The issue that I am having is that the ATV will lurch and jerk momentarily, but only under load and only in high range.
If the atv is on blocks and I hold the brake to create load it will create the jerk and then create a noticeable drive-line clunking noise.

It doesn't feel like an engine miss but a drive-line or transmission, I could be wrong there. The motor idles smooth and revs freely.

Things I have checked already:

Had the transmission apart and inspected all the gears and bearings including forward shift mechanism gears-all look good, bearings smooth without apparent play.

90 degree bevel gears have one spot a bit higher up that have some very slight burring, but seemed minor, the rest of the gear (both) looks fine.

Driveshaft splines look good, u-joints have a little play but not much.
External secondary clutch I noted that the fingers are worn down especially leading edges........ Not sure what spec is.
Clutch Bell is true and doesn't appear warped, but it is blue on the outer edges.

Belt looks like it has plenty of life left in it.

Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated, I don't want to throw money at it until I am sure what might be the problem. I can post a short video of the problem in action if needed.

Thanks for any help.

#4 ·
Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I have the same atv and I'm experiencing the exact same problem. I have replaced the belt and still having the jerking. I've removed the inspection plate on transmission below the filler plug and gears are fine. I've changed transmission fluid and saw no metal shavings. I played with the linkage adjustment and it did nothing. It only has 750 miles on it. Any ideas?
Thanks

#5 ·
Check primary clutch belt rollers. There is six of them. Check the three slides on plate too. download a service manual here.

Here is parts lookup diagram

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.