Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

2010 650 H1 clutch issues.

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  doorfx 
#1 ·
Picked up a secondhand ride a few months back and after awhile I finally have the time to start tearing it down and really looking into things. One of the biggest issues I noticed with the bike was that when I first try to take off it seems like it takes a good bit up into the rpm band before the clutch will finally grab. Just pulled off the belt/clutch cover today and the first thing I noticed was that it seemed to have a good bit of a tacky buildup in the housing. (I'm sort of guessing that it might have been residue from a previously worn belt though, so I'm not terribly worried about it.) Pulled off my primary and secondary, but beyond that point I'm pretty clueless. I know if I dig a little further I'll find the wet basket, I believe it's called. At this point I'm just mostly curious if it sounds like something is worn, or maybe an aftermarket clutch kit would be a good idea. (It is sitting on 27's atm, not too sure what comes factory.) If you suggest a clutch kit, what brand?

#2 ·
It might already have a clutch kit. If someone installed heavier springs in the wet clutch then it will engage a lot higher.

#3 ·
+1 to what Doorfx said....

#5 ·
Completely DRY !!!!! Yamaha uses a lubed system.

#6 ·
You should also be certain that it has wet clutch compatible oil in the crank case. If you don't know and previous owner put in the wrong oil, you could be experiencing slip caused by wrong oil. If I wasn't sure, I'd change to the correct oil.

#7 ·
As long as it is a dry/tacky buildup, I wouldnt be too worried, but if it is oily, I would be looking at the seal behind the primary clutch. It is a VERY common issue on bikes of that era.

#9 ·
Make sure you use the correct oil

#11 ·
Please start your own thread. No need to highjack the op thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.