Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

EPI clutch kit install

7K views 33 replies 5 participants last post by  Jdn58 
#1 ·
I ordered a EPI clutch kit and a local shop is going to install it. Originally they said it would take about 2 hours. Now they are saying they have to replace an internal gasket, pull cover and change oil and it's going to take 3 to 5 hours. What would be a fair amount of labor time I should expect from them?

#2 ·
seems pretty high...they ever work on a cat before lol? I would say 2 hours is PLENTY...3 max

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I talked to someone who knows Arctic Cats and said pretty much the same thing. Don't mind paying for good work especially since I'm basically worthless when it comes the mechanics!I dunno but i have also learned enough from this forum to protect myself from getting screwed over!

#4 ·
im no expert either, but sounds like they are doing the wet clutch too. ive watched videos on doing it and can see why it might take some time. reference to an internal gasket and oil change tips me off? let us know how ya like the kit!

#5 ·
#6 ·
Thanks for posting the video. I don't want to insult these guys but I'm going to let them know about this video. I suspect they didn't realize they needed to deal with the wet clutch when they ordered this kit. My bike is running fine now and I want improvement not having it run worse!

#7 ·
You can leave the wet clutch springs out they really arent that big of deal just adds a stall...Even with switching wet clutch springs i stand by my shop times its not hard, and a place that is suppose to know what they are doing should have no trouble doing it in 2 hours or less really. Ive never done wet springs but i can have it tore down in 20 mins or less to the point of that and im no mechanic so

I mean 5 hours i can have the entire bike stripped to the frame and put back together its really not to hard...if they cant do a clutch kit in that time then id be looking else where

#8 ·
Hey savage, got a question for ya. My co riders have polos, and when going down step hills, their quads make a weird "belt slapping" noise? Mine never DID, but does now. is it coincidence cuz I just did the primary shim mod? I also noticed that since the mod, my ebs acts different too. Not as effective, but still works. Do you think ive worn my drivebelt over the last few months running 27s on my new 500? Thanx.

#9 ·
no not likely worn belt...be nearly impossible to wear out that fast...the shim can cause the belt to slip down and slip on the roller between the clutch...not sure about the slapping tho, the ebs umm should be the same or better.

The slapping can be the rear drive train if it locks up

#12 ·
The kymco 500 has electronic braking system ? (EBS)

#10 ·
I'm with Savage on this. You can leave the stock springs in and be ok. I didn't install mine when I got the kit. I like the ability to crawl around still with the stock wet clutch setup.

#11 ·
thanx savage......

#13 ·
Tolatool1 if they change out the wet clutch is that going to affect the downhill braking? After this weekend riding with my wife on the back I'm about to leave the thing stock! Ooh don't go in that mud! Let me off...blah,blah,blah!!!:lol:

#14 ·
ebs is engine braking system, not electronic braking system. Yes , my 2013 500 has it. works awesome. Hated it at first, but love it now. I an other post, (along with numerous failed pms), I was asking whether or not the shim mod and / or belt wear could effect the efficiency of ebs? No answers or opinions yet. I suspect it could, if ya think about it....

#15 ·
the engine braking system is managed by the belt drive system and one way bearing so yes changing the clutching will effect it, for better or worse depending on the change

#16 ·
gotcha! thanx. It was another great weekend of riding here in ohio. mild weather, starry nights. Got 710 miles on her now. Just keeps getting stronger and stronger. (fingers crossed, lol). West Virginia in 2 weeks!

#18 ·
If the kit is configured correctly the braking will be different, but still should be smooth. Mine will engauge a litte harder, but still is smoothly. I don't mind it since I am turning the Mega Mayhems cause it helps to slow down. Usually will slow down smooth enough that I don't use my brakes a lot.

#20 ·
the shim is likely the reduction of engine breaking...secondary spring is a big factor...stronger secondary spring more engine braking

#21 ·
Thanx Savage.....

#22 ·
Well kit is installed and will test it out this weekend. Went around the block and I can feel a difference but not as much as I thought I would. One thing I did notice and didn't think about, is its louder when I'm cruising because the rpm's are higher I suppose. Throttle response is stronger but I will have a better idea after a good weekend of riding. Taking my sons on a ride and camping trip. It should be a great way to test this kit out!Cat happy

#23 ·
Let me know what ya think. What all did your kit include?

#24 ·
Enjoy your camping/riding trip! Im going to West Va. next weekend with friends, if nobody backs out!? lol.

#25 ·
It was the EPI utility kit. I only have 27" tires (wish I would have gotten the 28" now!:sad_old:) EPI rep told me mudder kit would be to much. I've had this bike for about 4 years and I try to stay on the safe side. This was the first real mod I've done. I did add a new Arctic Cat belt even though my old belt was in pretty good shape. Mechanic gave it back to me so at least I have a back up now. I'm ready for a good ride but it may be hard to find much mud because we haven't had any rain for a couple weeks. The holes that are left are probably deeper than I'm ready to try without a snorkle. I know I know I'm still a chicken!:lol:

#26 ·
Come to Ohio, plenty of MUD! lol. Keep us posted how ya like yur clutchin man.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.