NavbitArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting » 98 arctic cat 400 fis, dont know where carb hoses go

Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting Place your Utility ATV Repair and Maintenance questions/thoughts here... *not performance*

Old 08-15-2013, 04:08 AM   #1

98 arctic cat 400 fis, dont know where carb hoses go

i have a 98 arctic cat 400 4x4 and have no clue where the two vacuum hosesfrom the carb go to on it. they just rugn up to the handlebars and dont hook to anything, and the crankcase vent to. it wont run without help and dies after a few seconds. does anyone know where these hoses should hook to??
kyle_keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #2

got it running

ok so i took the 2 vacuum hoses from the carb and hooked them into the crankcase hose assuming thats where they went, i dont know if my choke cable is broke or what but i casnt seem to figure out how to hook it up so the choke is stuck down on full choke. but it runs now, and runs halfway decent but doesnt like to idle and does miss some. and it is spitting ALOT of gas out of the little hole on the bottom of the inside of the outlet on the carb, a friend told me it could be the float sticking but ive cleaned the carb several times. can anyone help please? i dont have the money to take it to a shop
Old 08-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: Spongebob Saucer
ATV: 2003 Arctic Car 500I 4x4 Auto X 2
Don't hook the line from the carb to the crankcase line. If it is a bigger line, it is the bowl vent. Blowing in it or sucking on it makes it run rich or lean. It is just a vent and can not be plugged. Not sure what other line would be coming from the carb and hooked to nothing. My 03 only has the one vent line. The other is the fuel inlet.

You need a new float valve. The bowl is over filling causing it to run out the overflow on the bottom of the carb. Or the float is set too high.

2003 500I 4X4
Papa Slap Primary
EPI Yellow Spring on Secondary
Dyno Jet - on hold
Uni Filter
HMF Penland Pro
Procom CDI - backup CDI
12" STI G8 Platinum Wheels
25x10-12, 25x12.5-12 Kenda Bear Claws
AC Chrome Brush Guard
AC Rear Bumper
AC Warn 2500 lb Winch
Amsteel Blue 1/4" Synthetic Cable
Trail Tech Vapor Gauge Pod
Foot Brake Delete
RTR Flex
Highlifter 100# + front and rear springs
RTR Bushing Kit
Innovative LM-2
Poco242 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poco242 For This Useful Post:
kyle_keys (08-15-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #4

carb problems

well both of the lines from the4 carb are the same size. and the crankcase one is bigger. and they all run up to the handlebars. and before i hooked them into the crank vent it wouldnt stay running. it has two vent hoses on the top where the marks are on this pic. and the gas is not spitting from the drain plug for the bowl its coming from the little hole on the bottom of the outlet lip. if i stick my fingers in there and hold up a little on the needle in there while its running it seems to smooth out some
Attached Thumbnails
98 arctic cat 400 fis, dont know where carb hoses go-t2ec16v-0e9s37ghpnbruy1i8low-60_37.jpg  
Old 08-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #5

ATV: ThunderLemon 1000
2008 Mileage: Depends upon Fa
 Quote: Originally Posted by kyle_keys View Post
well both of the lines from the4 carb are the same size. and the crankcase one is bigger. and they all run up to the handlebars. and before i hooked them into the crank vent it wouldn't stay running. it has two vent hoses on the top where the marks are on this pic. and the gas is not spitting from the drain plug for the bowl its coming from the little hole on the bottom of the outlet lip. if i stick my fingers in there and hold up a little on the needle in there while its running it seems to smooth out some
Just vent lines that Definitely should NOT be all connected together. the vents are the Crankcase vent, the Bowl Vent and the Diaphragm Slide vent in your case, Some carbs have only one vent line to the bars. Yours has two. No big deal and Normal for your carb.

Gas running out of the hole at the bottom nipple of the float bowl means your float needle is leaking. Not staying running is most likely a plugged Slow "pilot" jet or plugged PMS pilot metering screw ports and passageways. When you use a finger to open the slide a little that is adding a little extra fuel from the third stage of the fuel delivery of the 3 circuits of that carb. First stage is the PMS and pilot jet, Third stage is the needle jet and slide, Forth stage is the main jet.

Your carb is dirty internally and needs a full disassembly and throughout cleaning inside. Make sure every port and passage way is clean. you may or may not need to replace the float needle too. Might just be a bit of crud caught in the seat prevent it from sealing when the float bowl is full. See Jetting 101 in the pinned section, it should help you out. Also... There are 100's of threads if not 1000's that deal with dirty carb cleaning, all are applicable and some offer good info. In a nut shell, pay close attention to how everything comes apart, Clean it well enough so you would not be afraid to eat your Wheaties out of it and re-assemble exactly the way it came apart.

Troubleshooting First Steps, An amazing number of problems are cured with just these two items.

1. Make sure your battery is FULLY Charged.
2. Try a new spark plug.

Search threads, Check Pinned Section. Pinned Topics Manual or wiring diagram? Manuals
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index...._Diagrams.html

Improving Search.

Better results when searching for specific information. To find threads where ALL the words, instead of ANY of the words "650H1, Carb, Jetting, Needle Jet, Snorkel" were found...Open up a search window in www.google.com In the find box type without the quotes "650H1 Carb Jetting Needle Jet Snorkel site:Arcticchat.com" & Press return. Find threads, replies or topics by a specific member; just by inserting their user name into the search list; Chances are, your problem is NOT unique and it has been solved many times before.

Are you in a hurry to get an answer?
Use the Google Search Tip

Last edited by Wyo_H1_Cat; 08-16-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Wyo_H1_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting

Search tags for this page

2003 aritic cat carburetor fuel line were does it go on the caburetor

2005 arctic 250 vacuum hose on top of carburetor

2005 arctic cat 570z carburetor problem. gas coming from vent
98 artic cat carb vent kit

arctic cat 98 400 4x4 diagram electrical

arctic cat were the carburetor jets go

blocking off choke hold on arctic cat 400
carburetor hose routing 98 arctic cat 400
carburetor vacuum hose 2003 arctic cat atv
where is the vacum line on a 2003 arctic cat 250
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.