Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting Place your Utility ATV Repair and Maintenance questions/thoughts here... *not performance*

Old 01-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #1

ATV: 06 500 Manual
Starter button

I have a 2006 500 manual. A few months ago the starter switch stopped working. Have been pull starting since but trying to fix the problem but I'm stumped. It will start if I cross the terminals under the seat(solenoid?). I have checked for broken wires on the steering column. Found no broken wires there this time. Have repaired some in the past there. Checked where the harness crosses the frame at the back and found 6 broken or worn wires. Fixed all of these and still doesnt work. Pulled the switch apart to check for power there. Have power at the kill switch(Orange wire). There is a yellow/green wire going directly to the switch which doesnt have power. Went to the fuse box and found a yellow/green wire leading to a start in gear relay. No power there either. Also a red/blue wire leading to the same relay with no power. I"m no electrician but I would assume one of these wires should have power. Checked a couple other relays and found power on one wire in each but not this start in gear relay. Dont know for sure if I'm following the right wires just checking the ones that match colors at the switch. Neither of these wires were ones that I repaired. Any ideas? Kinda frustrated with this one. Am I missing something? Any help is appreciated!
500mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #2

Nothing guys? Need help on this one.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: 2007 400 4X4 LE, 2010 366 4X4 SE
2010 Mileage: 2600
2009 Mileage: 1900
2008 Mileage: 1100
2007 Mileage: 400
This link here

Extract and print schematics

Will let you get and printout the schematic. Includes color codes for all the wires. I would pull the small plug on the starter relay and verify it gets power when you press the starter switch, if it does, the starter solenoid is bad. If not, its a broken wire or bad switch.

Mike
mikeexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #4

where is the starter relay?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Thanked 1,334 Times in 1,233 Posts
ATV: 07 500 auto 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
#14 under the seat
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--
2013 700 XT trv eps stock

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: 2007 400 4X4 LE, 2010 366 4X4 SE
2010 Mileage: 2600
2009 Mileage: 1900
2008 Mileage: 1100
2007 Mileage: 400
Looks like this
Attached Thumbnails
Starter button-sany0005-small-.jpg  
mikeexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #7

ATV: 2006 Article Cat 500 4x4 auto
Sound like the same problem I got going on a AC 400 manual no power to key but I have power from battery + to solenoid but no power to starter wire on the bottom. A few people says no power will go past the solenoid if it is bad everything at is point to me looks like thesolenoid is bad I am going to try one and let you know because it called a starter relay one wire from battery to solenoid and the other wire goes to starter
shine420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:54 AM   #8

ATV: 02 Arctic Cat 500 Auto FIS
2010 Mileage: 860
2009 Mileage: 700ish
2007 Mileage: 1728
2006 Mileage: 1350
If you can start it by jumping the solenoid i would say it the switch. Do you get any signals out of the switch? On my 02 500 I had similar problems and it ended up being the switch.
spooln30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #9

ATV: ThunderLemon 1000
2008 Mileage: Depends upon Fa
 Quote: Originally Posted by shine420 View Post
Sound like the same problem I got going on a AC 400 manual no power to key but I have power from battery + to solenoid but no power to starter wire on the bottom. A few people says no power will go past the solenoid if it is bad everything at is point to me looks like the solenoid is bad I am going to try one and let you know because it called a starter relay one wire from battery to solenoid and the other wire goes to starter
A bad starter solenoid causing your problem of getting power to the ignition switch is about as rare as being struck by lightning in the dead of winter. Could happen, but I doubt it. In your case there are other potential problems that are far more likely that could cause your issue. You might of read about the "Five Wire Splice" if not Search for it. It's been the cause of many no power issues identical to what you are seeing. Also read this link, explains how it all works Completely dead!

The starter relay or starter solenoid as it is usually called is really nothing more than a simple momentary On/Off switch. It is momentarily on when you press the start button to crank the engine over with the starter motor. That is the starting solenoids primary function to turn on and off the starter motor. That's all it does really. Nothing magical or mysterious its just a switch. However the battery connection on the solenoid is often used to connect the ATV charging system and switched ignition to the battery.

There is a big wire from the battery, (IN). Sometimes labeled (Batt or B)
There is a big wire to the Starter, (OUT). Sometimes labeled (Start or S)

The next 2 or 3 wires may be part of a plug in connector and there may also be a 30 amp fuse on the solenoid (old models)
There is a small wire in (control) often green. There is Only power here when you press the starter button
There may be a small wire often red or orange wire (ignition power)
optionally There may be a ground wire. usually black
These one or two smaller wires may be in a connecter plug on the solenoid or single wires sticking out from the body.

Normally there is power all the time on IN wire and there is power at the big OUT wire only when the start button is pressed when the ignition turned on. This momentary control of this on/off function of the solenoid is controlled by the third wire usually the green control wire. A forth wire small, sometimes red or orange is usually internally connected to the (IN) wire of the solenoid. This is how the ignition switch gets it power and how power from the charging system gets back to the battery. This is just a feed through just a method to connect the atv's ignition and charging wiring to the battery. Installing a replacement solenoid backwards can prevent the ignition switch from getting power. (I've seen this a few times when somebody has replaced a solenoid but would NEVER happen on its own) There may also be a ground wire. Does the solenoid on your atv have 3 or 4 or 5 wires? same colors? Check the wiring diagram for your year and model. Starting solenoids are quite durable and when they cause problems or are bad is is usually a problem with turning or cranking the starter motor and caused by the contacts are pitted and not delivering full amperage through the contacts to turn the starter over or is operation gets sticky and erratic.

Just to cover all possibilities for different brands and models or years. On some models there may be only 3 wires at the solenoid, two BIG wires, In from battery and Out to starter and a small control wire from the start button. If it is like this then there is probably a small red wire connected to the POS battery terminal together with the Big red wire to the solenoid, It would be through this small red wire at the battery is the feed to the ignition switch or charge to the battery.

And just to cover all possibilities......

You Cat is equipped with a neutral start safety. Meaning that the ATV must be in neutral or the brakes applied before the starter button will work. Problems with the circuitry that reads the shift lever position or the brake applied switches can keep it from starting. Also problem with the circuitry in the safety kill switch on the handle bar will also keep it from starting.

It could be broken or shorted wiring, it could be corrosion in a connector, it could be bad relay it could be a bad gear position, brake, or kill switch. Trouble shooting this would require you to get quite intimate with the wiring diagram and using a volt ohm meter to troubleshoot it out bit by bit, circuit by circuit. In my opinion this not a recommended task of you are limited in knowledge reading wiring diagrams and using a volt ohm meter. Sometimes a person can get lucky and find an obvious cause like a broken wire or by replacing a bad relay though.

Troubleshooting First Steps, An amazing number of problems are cured with just these two items.

1. Make sure your battery is FULLY Charged.
2. Try a new spark plug.

Search threads, Check Pinned Section. Pinned Topics Manual or wiring diagram? Manuals
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index...._Diagrams.html

Improving Search.

Better results when searching for specific information. To find threads where ALL the words, instead of ANY of the words "650H1, Carb, Jetting, Needle Jet, Snorkel" were found...Open up a search window in www.google.com In the find box type without the quotes "650H1 Carb Jetting Needle Jet Snorkel site:Arcticchat.com" & Press return. Find threads, replies or topics by a specific member; just by inserting their user name into the search list; Chances are, your problem is NOT unique and it has been solved many times before.

Are you in a hurry to get an answer?
Use the Google Search Tip

Last edited by Wyo_H1_Cat; 01-09-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Wyo_H1_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #10

Mine ended up being the switch. Figured that out after I changed the solenoid

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting

Search tags for this page
2007 arctic cat 400 4x4 switch control internal

2007 arctic cat 400 starter

2008 arctic cat 650 starter solenoid diagram
arctic car press start broke
arctic cat 450 no juice to start button
arctic cat starter circuit relay low fixes
broken column starter button
which wire to use for power control on artic cat atv
why my 2008 arctic cat 650 4x4 has no power to green starter button
will starter solenoid failure kill all power to yamaha 400#gsc.tab
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.