Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting Place your Utility ATV Repair and Maintenance questions/thoughts here... *not performance*

Old 09-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #1

ATV: 06' 650V2 and 500 4x4 auto
2006 500 Auto Timing question

I am checking the timing on my '06 500 and it looks to be out of time and if I'm reading the manual right at Top dead center, the marks on the cam should be parallel with the top of the head and the "A" should be down. Before I start adjusting the timing I thought I would get a 2nd opinion.

I have attached 2 pics one with the mark on the magneto lined up with the notch on the engine case and the other of the cam postion at that point. Tell me what you think
Attached Thumbnails
2006 500 Auto Timing question-magneto-timing.jpg   2006 500 Auto Timing question-cam-timing.jpg  
Frank_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Super Moderator

ArcticChat.com Moderator  
Super Moderator
Thanked 1,113 Times in 1,034 Posts
ATV: 07 500 auto
You can't adjust timing. That timing mark can line up on the exhaust tdc or intake tdc. You want to be on intake tdc and at that point you can adjust your valve lash.
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--
2013 700 XT trv eps stock

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #3

I should have worded that differently instead of saying "adjust the timing" I should have said, "set the cam timing" because I'm suspecting it jumped time. I'm trying to verify if the cam is in the correct position at TDC. If not, what is the correct position.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:01 AM   #4

ATV: 02 Arctic Cat 500 Auto FIS
2010 Mileage: 860
Well first off you didn't have to remove the left side case. There's a allen head plug on the left side case right below the exhaust pipe you remove and align the mark on the flywheel to the mark on the case. Second are you on the compression stroke? But yes, the when the TDC mark on the flywheel is aligned the two marks on the camshaft should be aligned with the top of the cylinder head or pretty Damn close. When I rebuilt my 500's top end I remember my cam marks weren't totally flush with the head but they were very close. Mine runs perfectly. Why are you thinking it jumped? If it did I would replace the chain and the tensioner along with the guides if they are worn.

Last edited by spooln30; 09-26-2012 at 02:04 AM.
spooln30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by spooln30 View Post
Well first off you didn't have to remove the left side case. There's a allen head plug on the left side case right below the exhaust pipe you remove and align the mark on the flywheel to the mark on the case. Second are you on the compression stroke? But yes, the when the TDC mark on the flywheel is aligned the two marks on the camshaft should be aligned with the top of the cylinder head or pretty Damn close. When I rebuilt my 500's top end I remember my cam marks weren't totally flush with the head but they were very close. Mine runs perfectly. Why are you thinking it jumped? If it did I would replace the chain and the tensioner along with the guides if they are worn.
I had replaced the stator prior to this and put the case back on just to test it before sealing it back up, so it needed to come back off anyway, but i do know about the inspection plug.
The reason I think it may have jumped time is when I was trying to start it, after fixing my "no spark" issue, it wouldn't fire up and I was getting back pressure through the carb, which enough pressure to blow the fuel pump in half. Looking at the marks on the cam and the mark on the flywheel at TDC, they don't seem like they're lining up like they're supposed to. Doesn't seem like there is excessive slack in the chain, but if it did jump time then I'll be replacing chain, guides and tensioner.
Not sure if its on compression stroke or not, but I know no matter which turn I'm on on the flywheel the cam doesn't seem lined up with the top of the head.
What is your opinion?

Thanks for you input!

Last edited by Frank_T; 09-26-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting

Search tags for this page

05 arctic cat 500 timing marks

arctic cat 500 timing

arctic cat 500 timing marks

how to adjust timing chain tensioner on 2006 polaris ranger 500

how to check timing on a polaris ranger 500

polaris es500 repair manual

polaris ranger 500 timing

seting time on arctic cat 500

timing marks for polaris es 500 atv

wheres the timing chain located on an arctic cat 500
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.