Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting Place your Utility ATV Repair and Maintenance questions/thoughts here... *not performance*

Old 05-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #1

ATV: 2004 Arctic Cat 400 4x4
2004 400 4x4 Carb problems

First time post here I was hoping for a little help from some of the forum pros.

I have a 2004 Arctic Cat 400 Manual Transmission 4x4. A couple of years ago it started running poorly. No power at all, spitting and sputtering. I took it to the arctic cat shop and he said it was bad gas. He said he added stabilizer and fresh fuel ran it around and it ran great.

Jump ahead seven months, got ready to leave town for a poker run getting quads loaded up and once again same issues. Ran it up and down the road to try and clear it up. Got up to the run and my wife was riding it and it got worse no low end power spitting and sputtering. Back to the shop I asked the tech to check the carb out he said they are normally reliable and nothing ever goes wrong with them in his experience. Picked it up and he said it was all good, said he cleaned the carb found some crap in it, added a in-line filter. Once again got it home couple months later jump on it running terrible.

Two days ago I tore into it. Found the start jet hanging by about two threads. Disassebled it, cleaned it, blew it out, put it back on and it seems to be running fine full throttle and idling good. I set the pilot screw at two turns out. The problem is coming up from an idle it spits and sputters no power until you get above about half throttle. Seems to run better when cold gets worse when it warms up. Especially worse in low range. I checked the valve clearance it seems real close intake good, exhaust maybe a thousandth over hard to get a good measurement.

I notice the vacum piston flutters as it does this when I had the air cleaner box off. Bad vacum piston? Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.

Also one run up and down the road wot it just died flat. Sat for a minute switched to the reserve setting while cranking and it started back up. Should have been plenty of fuel in tank to run on normal position just might have been a coincident.
Flashover_121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #2

Update to my problem. I think I may have found the issue. After viewing links posted on the forums and looking at other similiar posts I have found that I am missing my needle jet. I don't believe I lost it on tear down, from the pictures I have seen it appears it should protrude up into the throttle body and be visible. I am pretty observant when disassembling parts and don't recall seeing this part in the throttle body on tear down.

I have ordered a new one and other carb parts. (springs, jets, needle, o-rings, etc). I am now wandering if my AC ever ran right since I bought it used. Hopefully this makes a huge difference and the wife will quit complaining about her quad!!!!!

Even though nobody offered any advice yet, I couldn't have figured this out with out all the great help and links posted on other questions.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,159 Posts
ATV: 07 500 auto 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
Wow I didnt think it would even run without a needle jet lol
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--
2013 700 XT trv eps stock

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle

Last edited by doorfx; 05-25-2012 at 02:30 PM.
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #4

Sled: 99 ZR700, 01 ZRT 600, 00 ZL 550 ESR
06-07 Mileage: ???
ATV: na
2007 Mileage: ??
2006 Mileage: ??
One other thing I would check is the filters on the tank valve. There's 2 screen filters in the tank on the on-off-reserve valve. If you take out the 2 screws and remove it you'll see them. They often cet plugged up with crap. I only mention this because you said that using the reserve helped on the one occasion. It's a 5 minute cleaning and obviously well worth the time.
scooterber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scooterber For This Useful Post:
Flashover_121 (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #5

ATV: ThunderLemon 1000
2008 Mileage: Depends upon Fa
 Quote: Originally Posted by doorfx View Post
Wow I didnt think it would even run without a needle lol
The needle jet is the small stainless steel port that the needle slides into and out of. It often falls out when the brass main jet holder is removed.

Troubleshooting First Steps, An amazing number of problems are cured with just these two items.

1. Make sure your battery is FULLY Charged.
2. Try a new spark plug.

Search threads, Check Pinned Section. Pinned Topics Manual or wiring diagram? Manuals
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index...._Diagrams.html

Improving Search.

Better results when searching for specific information. To find threads where ALL the words, instead of ANY of the words "650H1, Carb, Jetting, Needle Jet, Snorkel" were found...Open up a search window in www.google.com In the find box type without the quotes "650H1 Carb Jetting Needle Jet Snorkel site:Arcticchat.com" & Press return. Find threads, replies or topics by a specific member; just by inserting their user name into the search list; Chances are, your problem is NOT unique and it has been solved many times before.

Are you in a hurry to get an answer?
Use the Google Search Tip
Wyo_H1_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wyo_H1_Cat For This Useful Post:
Flashover_121 (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #6

@ Doorfx, appearently it does just not very well!!!
@ Scooterber Thanks I will do that while I await the parts to fix the carb. I was going to order a new one because the old one is leaking by. Forgot to while I was filling cart with carb parts. Entered order too late add it. I might see if my local dealer has one on shelf.
@ Wyo, I don't know if I lost it. But to be honest I don't think this quad ran right since we got it. Like I said I hope it works better than before. My wife has done nothing but complain about her AC since we got it. Because of how it ran. Everybody I talk to that has or had one loves them. Maybe now she will love hers.

P.S. Thanks for the input. I am loving this site.

Last edited by Flashover_121; 05-25-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Add thanks
Old 05-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #7

ATV: ThunderLemon 1000
2008 Mileage: Depends upon Fa
 Quote: Originally Posted by Flashover_121 View Post
@ Doorfx, appearently it does just not very well!!!
@ Scooterber Thanks I will do that while I await the parts to fix the carb. I was going to order a new one because the old one is leaking by. Forgot to while I was filling cart with carb parts. Entered order too late add it. I might see if my local dealer has one on shelf.
@ Wyo, I don't know if I lost it. But to be honest I don't think this quad ran right since we got it. Like I said I hope it works better than before. My wife has done nothing but complain about her AC since we got it. Because of how it ran. Everybody I talk to that has or had one loves them. Maybe now she will love hers.

P.S. Thanks for the input. I am loving this site.
Good luck and pat yourself on the back for finding the missing needle jet. That is being very observant and if it was lost before you got the ATV is a lot more difficult to determine when a part was missing in the first place. I've seen this problem quite a few times in this and other forums. Very difficult issue to pin down via online trouble shooting in text.

Troubleshooting First Steps, An amazing number of problems are cured with just these two items.

1. Make sure your battery is FULLY Charged.
2. Try a new spark plug.

Search threads, Check Pinned Section. Pinned Topics Manual or wiring diagram? Manuals
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index...._Diagrams.html

Improving Search.

Better results when searching for specific information. To find threads where ALL the words, instead of ANY of the words "650H1, Carb, Jetting, Needle Jet, Snorkel" were found...Open up a search window in www.google.com In the find box type without the quotes "650H1 Carb Jetting Needle Jet Snorkel site:Arcticchat.com" & Press return. Find threads, replies or topics by a specific member; just by inserting their user name into the search list; Chances are, your problem is NOT unique and it has been solved many times before.

Are you in a hurry to get an answer?
Use the Google Search Tip

Last edited by Wyo_H1_Cat; 05-25-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Wyo_H1_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,159 Posts
ATV: 07 500 auto 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
 Quote: Originally Posted by Wyo_H1_Cat View Post
The needle jet is the small stainless steel port that the needle slides into and out of. It often falls out when the brass main jet holder is removed.
Lol yep missed a word
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--
2013 700 XT trv eps stock

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by Wyo_H1_Cat View Post
Good luck and pat yourself on the back for finding the missing needle jet. That is being very observant and if it was lost before you got the ATV is a lot more difficult to determine when a part was missing in the first place. I've seen this problem quite a few times in this and other forums. Very difficult issue to pin down via online trouble shooting in text.
thanks wyo
Old 05-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: I Wish
ATV: 04 400 4x4 FIS
Kudos on finding the missing part, replace the float valve set also while your in there and save yourself some time in the future, not the float itself but #12 on the fiche when you look, the internal spring wears out in em after about this many years (mine was shot last year on my 04 400) they cost about $25 from a dealer, normally dealer will stock them as well because the same one was used for many years.

And when you re-assemble carb take your time setting the diaphragms back in, including the primer diaphragm. I know the main diaphragm is really tricky to get re-seated when they get old and a tiny bit not seated will cause it to behave like its torn when you get it back together, and you'll be back in there looking for a problem that isn't really there

Note the direction of the U ring in the lower section when dis assembling, I've got a post someplace that refers to it because If you put it in backwards or seat it into the wrong part (the main carb body or the lower section I don't remember) it will begin to leak fuel CONSTANTLY and will cause you to seek out all kinds of other issues that again arent there.

Good luck, and I hope she likes her 400 once its back together again. Oh, and it makes it 10x easier to unmount airbox to get carb out and in, I got mine out with it mounted but getting it back in was nearly impossible
Farrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting

Search tags for this page

2004 arctic cat 400 4x4 carburetor

2004 arctic cat 400 4x4 problems

2004 arctic cat 400 4x4 review

2004 arctic cat 400 4x4 service manual
2004 arctic cat 400 atv
2004 arctic cat 400 carburetor

2004 arctic cat 400 problems

2004 arctic cat 500 carburetor diagram

arctic cat 400 carburetor problems

arctic vacumm line 2004 to tank
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.