Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting Place your Utility ATV Repair and Maintenance questions/thoughts here... *not performance*

Old 03-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #1

Fuel Flowing From Overflow (After Rebuild)

Alright, I'm on to the next repair on my 2005 Arctic Cat 400 4x4. Gas is flowing from the overflow tube of the carburetor. I've had the same problem with a few other ATVs (I noticed this is the same type of carb as a Kawasaki Bayou 300), and the fix has always been to clean the little float needle thing that is attached to the float. Every other time I've had this issue, this was gummed up and stuck, and cleaning it fixed the problem.

I think this may be a different issue. The guy I just bought it from said he had a shop rebuild the carburetor last summer. After taking it apart, I see that the float needle is still shiny new. My theory is that the shop that rebuilt the carb failed to properly adjust the float height, overflowing the bowl. How do I adjust the height of the float to decrease the amount of fuel in the bowl? My Bayou service manual (same carb) says to decrease float height to increase fuel level and vice versa; I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around this as it seems to be back-asswards. Is this actually correct, and I'm misunderstanding how the fuel flows through the carb?

You'll have to forgive me; I'm still new to carburetor work. I appreciate everyone's help!
Majoraslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: 2006 Arctic Cat 500 auto 4x4
2010 Mileage: Not enough!
2009 Mileage: Not enough!
2008 Mileage: 900
2007 Mileage: 1000
2006 Mileage: 650
I can't answer your problem as I dont completely understand the workings of a carb. Go to mymowerparts,com and download a free service manual. It will tell you all you need to know.
Drilled rollers 23 grams ----- Dyno jet 136 main
Airdam stage 1 & 2 --- Homemade Kolpin fuel pack carrier
Uni two stage competition air filter --- 25-10-12 swamplites rear
6 Uni filtered vents in the airbox lid --- 25-8-12 swamplites front
AC handguards --- Work light on back
AC front brush bumper--- 3000 lb Champion winch
IPI rear bag--- IPI bag on front w/ice chest in it
--- Shop built hitch---Rear winch with 1 rocker for both---2009 ride -in springs---Rickthe rocket flex bracket with 1 1/2" lift---Extra rocker on rear rack for winch---600K HID llights---cam and castor mod---muffler mod---mini circuit breakers---Burp bottle mod---2009 700H1 ride-in-springs---1 1/2" cold air intake---

Wifes ride: 2006 Arctic Cat 250 no mods

Kids Ride: 2008 90 no mods
My mean little friend!
Gone:
1980 Suzuki 80cc bike
1983 Kawaski 80cc 2 stroke bike
1986 Honda 200X 3 wheeler

Gone and forgotten:
2003 Yamaha 400 Kodiac

Tow rig: 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad cab Big Horn Edition 4x4 Cummins turbo diesel

IF IT AINT A CAT THEN GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!!
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #3

I believe I've figured out how to adjust it, and why it seemed backwards. The adjustment instructions don't specifically say to do it, but paying attention to the diagram, you have to hold the carburetor upside-down to adjust the float! Float height is measured from the upside-down position, from the outside edge of the float to the mating surface where the carb body meets the bowl.

Lets say you are holding the carb upside down, and you "raise" the float height (say from 17mm to 20mm). When you turn it right-side-up, the float will have a shorter distance of travel before it pushes in the shut-off pin into place. Therefore, raising the float height will decrease the fuel level (and also vice-versa).

This is a common problem with these carbs (its the third Keihin carb I've seen that poured out gas), and I think this would be good information to have. Its apparently a common carb, seeing as how both of my Kawasaki Bayou 300 bikes had it, and now my Arctic Cat has one. I may do a video guide on it sometime with my new camera and post it to YouTube so others will have a reference. I've Googled for days, and I've not had much luck finding out information on this carb's internals.
Majoraslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #4

ATV: 02 Arctic Cat 500 Auto FIS
2010 Mileage: 860
2009 Mileage: 700ish
2007 Mileage: 1728
2006 Mileage: 1350
I went through this float adjustment my self. The float height should be checked with the carb on its side and with the float just touching the needle but not compressing it. You measure from the bottom of the carb to the bottom of the float which should be 17mm. Another way to do it is remove the float bowl cover and with the carb at eye level blow into a hose connected to the fuel inlet and the float should start to close the needle at the point of the float itself being level with the bottom of the carb. Same as 17mm.
spooln30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Thanked 1,275 Times in 1,182 Posts
ATV: 07 500 auto 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
 Quote: Originally Posted by Majoraslayer View Post
I believe I've figured out how to adjust it, and why it seemed backwards. The adjustment instructions don't specifically say to do it, but paying attention to the diagram, you have to hold the carburetor upside-down to adjust the float! Float height is measured from the upside-down position, from the outside edge of the float to the mating surface where the carb body meets the bowl.

Lets say you are holding the carb upside down, and you "raise" the float height (say from 17mm to 20mm). When you turn it right-side-up, the float will have a shorter distance of travel before it pushes in the shut-off pin into place. Therefore, raising the float height will decrease the fuel level (and also vice-versa).

This is a common problem with these carbs (its the third Keihin carb I've seen that poured out gas), and I think this would be good information to have. Its apparently a common carb, seeing as how both of my Kawasaki Bayou 300 bikes had it, and now my Arctic Cat has one. I may do a video guide on it sometime with my new camera and post it to YouTube so others will have a reference. I've Googled for days, and I've not had much luck finding out information on this carb's internals.
Could have saved yourself days!!! Lol look in the pinned section for jetting 101 lots of links and good info
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--
2013 700 XT trv eps stock

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: none
ATV: 2007 650 H1 TRV
2010 Mileage: 300
2009 Mileage: 800
This is anic write up about setting your float level, might helpyou some.

How To Set Your Motorcycle Carburetor Float Level (more commentary).

2007 650H1 TRV
MP snorkles,Front/Rear MP axles,AMR coil,Dynatek cdi,slidedrilled,4coils clipped,dynojet carb kit,ez-adjust mixture screw,BBK,12.1 piston,ported head, Speedwerx Cam,muffler mod,hids 6000 high/low,airdam 1-5,Odyssey pc680,front brushguard,hand guards,28x9.5x14/28x12x14 outlaw radials,Precision steering dampner,Precision shock/vibration eliminator,Thundercat handlebars,
mud pro shocks/springs,ITP SS108 Aluminum wheels'Sannys steerlite bushings,arctic cat 60" plow,2 torch lights for plowing,circuit breakers,promark 3000lb winch,rear storage bag,Ricks flex bracket with 2" lift,MTI Arched lower A Arms,MTI Arched upper rear A Arms
holeshot76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting

Search tags for this page
arctic cat gas flow from carb overflow
four wheeler burping gas out intake
gas pouring out overflow on for wheeler

how to adjust carburetor float on atv

how to adjust kawasaki 300 bayou carburetor float
kawasaki 220 bayou leaking gas out the overflow
kawasaki bayou 220 carburetor diagram

kawasaki bayou 220 float adjustment

kawasaki bayou 220 float hieght

video on how to rebuild a carburetor on a kawasaki 220 four wheeler

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.