Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting Place your Utility ATV Repair and Maintenance questions/thoughts here... *not performance*

Old 03-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #1

battery drain

I have a 2007 650 H1 trv and am on my third battery, which is also draining all the time. Can anyone help? I have tried a trickle charger overnight with no luck. Is there a way to check for the draw without replacing the starter and alternator right away?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Robbie650H1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Sled: 99 ZR7OO
ATV: (2) 2007 7OO efi's & 2009 7OO H1 SE
I'll move this topic so it will get more attention

“How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?”

I want to share something with you: The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number 1: Cover for me. Number 2: Oh, good idea, Boss! Number 3: It was like that when I got here.

Up the creek without a saddle. Archie Bunker
tiggershark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #3

ATV: 2012 TRV 700
2010 Mileage: 700
2009 Mileage: 350
2008 Mileage: 570
2007 Mileage: 600
2006 Mileage: 450
Not sure how often you are using your atv but I have found that I need to keep my atv battery on the trickle charger all the time after my battery gets a year old or so. But during the winter I may not use it for a month or longer.

You can always check for a draw at the battery terminal with a digital volt/ohm multimeter. Ign. off and remove the negative batt. cable and connect the meter ( be sure to set the meter to read millliamps ) between the batt. terminal and the end of the negative batt. cable set the meter on amps and check for an amp draw which shouldn't be over 25/50 milliamps ( the lower the better ) . You can also use a 12volt test light between the two connections ( again disconnected batt neg. and neg batt. cable ) I mentioned to see if it lights but this method will not tell you much if the draw is a small one.

If you do find an draw you go the fuse box and start removing fuses and relays one at a time until your draw goes away on the meter. At least this narrows down the circuit you need to be looking for the draw at.

You can also check alt. output with the same volt/ohm meter connected to the both battery positive and negative terminals and with the engine running your volt meter should read over 13volts.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Last edited by team sidewinder; 03-12-2012 at 09:08 PM.
team sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting

Search tags for this page
2008 arctic cat keeps draining battery
arctic cat atv battery drain
arctic cat atv drains battery
atv battery keeps draining
atv keeps draining batter
atv will run but battery will drain
how to find battery drain atv
my quad keeps drawing down the battery without running
why does battery on arctic cat prowler drain?

why my atv's battery keeps draing

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.