Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting Place your Utility ATV Repair and Maintenance questions/thoughts here... *not performance*

Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #1

Won't run, cleaned carb now won't Start

Hello all, looking for some assistance...

I have what I believe to be a 99 Arctic Cat 250 4x2. I say I believe it to be a 99, because I purchased it off craigslist from a guy that said it was an 86 but I looked up the vin, and best I could tell it is a 99.

But the problem is that it has set for about 4 months and when I went to start it, it would fire right up, but only run for a few seconds. Each successive start would run for about have the time as the first until it would not run at all.

I figured that it was not getting any gas because it would run for like 5 seconds the first pull, 2 seconds the second maybe 1 second the third and not run at all the fourth.

If I let is set over night, the next day I would give it a pull (battery is dead) and it would fire up, run for a few seconds and die, and repeat as above.

I figured that maybe the float was stuck, the carb was clogged and not getting gas, or the fuel filter was clogged and gas was slowly filling up the bowl over night alling it to run for a few seconds.

I replaced the fuel filter, took the carb apart and cleaned it, but now it is back together and the best I can get out of it now is a soft cough, like maybe I might have imagined it tried to fire, but it will not.

The only internal screw that I could find that had adjustment was about 1 1/4 turns from fully seating/tightened, and that is how I put it back.

I noticed that the thumb screw (idle/throttle?) at the top of the carb was completely out of the carb when I went to clean it, so I tightened it completely tight, and then backed out 4 turns (complete guess) but have backed it out a turn each pull when trying to start it, so I am about half way in I would expect at this moment.

If I pull the plug it appears to be wet and if I pull start it with the plug out against the cylinder I can see spark.

I have compression (finger in the hole test

Also starter fluid into the air filter does not make a difference

It ran well enough to go around the block, into my truck, and into the back yard under a tarp about 4 months ago when I purchased it, but it will not run now.

Please help, any ideas?

Thanks,
Josh
dawisewun is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Thanked 1,250 Times in 1,160 Posts
ATV: 07 500 auto 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
Fresh gas?
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--
2013 700 XT trv eps stock

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: none
ATV: 2007 650 H1 TRV
2010 Mileage: 300
2009 Mileage: 800
Try holding the throttle half way open when starting.
You can't really tell compression by the finger test IMO, you really need a gauge, but if it ran even for a minute prior to cleaning the carb I'd say it should run again. That black thumb screw is idle adjustment and screwing it in will raise the idle. Try holding the throttle open when starting the motor.

2007 650H1 TRV
MP snorkles,Front/Rear MP axles,AMR coil,Dynatek cdi,slidedrilled,4coils clipped,dynojet carb kit,ez-adjust mixture screw,BBK,12.1 piston,ported head, Speedwerx Cam,muffler mod,hids 6000 high/low,airdam 1-5,Odyssey pc680,front brushguard,hand guards,28x9.5x14/28x12x14 outlaw radials,Precision steering dampner,Precision shock/vibration eliminator,Thundercat handlebars,
mud pro shocks/springs,ITP SS108 Aluminum wheels'Sannys steerlite bushings,arctic cat 60" plow,2 torch lights for plowing,circuit breakers,promark 3000lb winch,rear storage bag,Ricks flex bracket with 2" lift,MTI Arched lower A Arms,MTI Arched upper rear A Arms
holeshot76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #4

Valve clearances?

Still no luck starting, going to go get a compression and feeler gauge this weekend to check compression and valve clearances to make sure they are good.

Can anyone tell me what the valves are suppose to be set at for a 99 250 2 wheel drive 4 wheeler?

Thanks,
Josh.
dawisewun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #5

ATV: 2002 AC 300 2x4, 2008 H1 650 TRV
Make sure the carb is is connected properly to the fitting going into the cylinder head. If not mounted correctly you won't get the fuel air mixture into the cylinder. I had this problem after cleaning my carb.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
Sponsors

Sponsors
Also make sure you're not trying to crank it with the air box off / filter removed. These carbs need vacuum to draw in the air fuel mixture and without some resistance it's hard to crank them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 Arctic Cat 650 H1 LE
28" Monkies on LE Whels
Whoolie Shop Underbody LEDs / Snork LEDs
Twin 5" Vision X Evo Prime LED Offroad Lights
Stock Headlight Delete
Viper Elite 4000 lb winch
Airdam /// w/ fixed plate mod
Racked Rad
Full 2" Snorkels

Ask me about LED Lighting & Accessories for your ride
www.whoolie.com

pondtunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting

Search tags for this page

4 wheeler carburetor wont crank

cant make 300 utility run right

cleaned carb still wont start

cleaned carburetor now wont start

cleaned the carburetor of arctic cat 90 now it won't start

four wheeler won't pull gas into the carb
my 4 wheeler is not getting fuel to the plug
polaris 4 wheeler will start but only run a few seconds

put new carb on 4 wheeler still wont start

took apart atv carb cleaned now won't start

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.