Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting Place your Utility ATV Repair and Maintenance questions/thoughts here... *not performance*

Old 10-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #11

ATV: 2006 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 Auto 853 miles
Okay, so I have used the correct oil. SAE 10W-40 just like the manual states. But I did buy this ATV used this past March so who knows what the previous owner used.

The Oil/Filter change didn't make a difference. Took off the cover and my CVT DOES NOT work like the one in this video. It doesn't spin as fast but it isn't locked up. You can push it by hand and is free spinning. When you give it gas, it tries to spin, but not fast or consistently.

What does that mean? Also, have a lot of heavy exhaust fumes... not sure if that indicates anything, but wanted to give the details.

Last edited by razaq1; 10-10-2011 at 07:17 PM.
razaq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 10-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #12
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Thanked 1,275 Times in 1,182 Posts
ATV: 07 500 auto 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
The weight of the oil is not as critical as is if it is wet clutch safe !!! Jaso ma
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--
2013 700 XT trv eps stock

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle

Last edited by doorfx; 10-10-2011 at 09:02 PM.
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #13

Gents, I have the same problem. Anyone know the solution?
I trying all the above mention stuff and I'll put an update in 15 min!!!
I tried what was in the video and it does the same thing as in the video.
Next I'm trying in gear.
My ATV will actually move but will not change gear. Max speed is 30 km/h (20-25 mph).
Any help would be appreciated
majmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #14

Quick follow up, I tried it in gear, low and reverse and both pulley are turning.
Is there a way to force the clutch to change gear??
Oil used in the last oil change was kawasaki M4 for wet clutch. Don't know what was previously used.
Once again, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #15

Max speed is 30 km/hr at 4000 rpm. I can get in L, H, N and R and I can move the ATV .
How can I check the belt tension/belt itself????
Any ideas on any other possibilities????
Old 10-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #16

ATV: ThunderLemon 1000
2008 Mileage: Depends upon Fa
Need to know what type of ATV this is.

If this is NOT a 650 V2 the front pulley should not turn while the engine is idling at 1200-1450 RPM or less. It it should turn and start closing together as you increase the RPM. The belt is under constant tension as shown on the video. there are no adjustments necessary and it should behave like it is shown on the video. If the idle speed it set too high the pulley can start spinning and getting into and out of gear will be a problem. To correct this, set you idle speed down where it should be Approximately 1250-1350 RPM

If it is a 650 V2 then the front pull spins any the time the engine is running and the belt slips in the pulley, belt tension is adjusted by adding or removing shims. Somewhere in the pinned section there is a V2 thread that details the procedure

Troubleshooting First Steps, An amazing number of problems are cured with just these two items.

1. Make sure your battery is FULLY Charged.
2. Try a new spark plug.

Search threads, Check Pinned Section. Pinned Topics Manual or wiring diagram? Manuals
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index...._Diagrams.html

Improving Search.

Better results when searching for specific information. To find threads where ALL the words, instead of ANY of the words "650H1, Carb, Jetting, Needle Jet, Snorkel" were found...Open up a search window in www.google.com In the find box type without the quotes "650H1 Carb Jetting Needle Jet Snorkel site:Arcticchat.com" & Press return. Find threads, replies or topics by a specific member; just by inserting their user name into the search list; Chances are, your problem is NOT unique and it has been solved many times before.

Are you in a hurry to get an answer?
Use the Google Search Tip
Wyo_H1_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #17

ATV: 2008 Arctic Cat 500 TRV
2009 Mileage: 511
2008 Mileage: 643
HELP!!!

I am having a similar issue;

On the weekend I was getting noises in mid range between 30 to 60 KM/H when I went to slow down (normally you get some engine breaking when you let off the throttle) there was a loud noise like a brick being thrown against the wall. I came to a full stop and could not move forward anymore. At first it was making a grinding when I used the throttle (similar noise to if you put it in gear to quickly when the auto choke is still idling the engine too high.)

When I went to H or L or R it wouldn't move. I had to get towed out and even in neutral it had some resistance on the wheels. After being towed out it won't even make the grinding noise in gear.

I have taken the belt cover off and in neutral the belt spins and the clutches/pressure plate move as normal. When i go into gear nothing changes works the same as it does in neutral.

I am assuming it has something to do with the rods or the side where the gear shifter goes into the engine?

I have looked a lot online and everything just talks about the belt and clutches I found a video that went as far as getting to the wet clutch but haven't seen anything on the other side of the engine/transmission...

Anyone have any ideas here?
Robblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #18

ATV: 2004 500 TRV
Rob, it sounds like the ATV shift linkage was off, hence the grinding. The bang was probably something breaking, or getting sheared off. The broken part has nowhere to go and is binding against other parts inside and causing the resistance on your wheels. I wouldn't start it anymore. Somebody with more experience will answer this, in the meantime maybe start taking the left side apart (take lots of pictures as you go) and have a clean work area.
My $.02, probably didn't tell you anything, that you didn't already know.
Yooper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #19

ATV: 2011 Arctic Cat 700 Camo
Rob, sounds like your bevel gear may have went out if the sound was in the motor.

581 BBK-sold
650 Cam-sold
27" Backs on 212's-loaned
Exhaust Mod
Snorkeled
Jetted
Clipped & Drilled
Secondary Mod
Drilled Rollers
Will C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #20

ATV: 2008 Arctic Cat 500 TRV
2009 Mileage: 511
2008 Mileage: 643
I'd really like to watch a video of whats going on in there before I start taking it apart. I haven't been able to find anything its always about the clutches and wet clutch nothing on the other side of the motor/transmission...?
Robblee is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting

Search tags for this page
atv quad won't go forward or reverse
atv quad won't shift in forward or reverse just grinds

atv wont go into gear

can am 4wheeler wont go into gear
can am bombardier 400 goes in gear but wont move
how to fix a four wheeler atv that wont shift
kawasaki 650 automatic four-wheelerengaging gears
my 4 wheeler yamaha clicks and want go into gear
troubleshoot fourwheeler won't move in gear

why did my quad stop shifting gears and turn on

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.