Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting Place your Utility ATV Repair and Maintenance questions/thoughts here... *not performance*

Old 08-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #1

ATV: 2000 300 4x4
2000 cat 300 4x4 running very rough

Hey fellas. My cat has run like a top and this is the first fuel/engine problem I have had. It starts right up revs normal and I can rev it up then after the cold start process it starts to almost diesel I guess you could call it. It idles rough like it is lacking gas and you can not rev it, it seems that the piston is only moving up and down every second and making the whole thing shake. I was told it was in the float or jets. Put new main, pilot jet, and float needle valve in-checked adjustment on float and was right at .5 inch. Tore carb down and cleaned everything. The diaphragm looks good, but the slider has some makes in it from use and the jet needle has a mark in about the center of it where the top of the needle jet rubs when fully seated against the main jet. Fuel filter is new, gas changed, new plug, and airfilter. Oh yah the float and throttle cables work properly, the gas tank vent is good.
Still getting the same problem like it is starving for gas. I am going to try to adjust the vavles next and check the boots on each side of the carb for cracks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Grut; 08-29-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Grut is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #2

WOW! nobody has had the same problem. I did all kind of searches in here and on the net and I can not find nothing of the exact same problem of it starts cold great and runs for minute or so great then just drops off (idle and any throttle given to it) like it is lacking gas. The valves did nothing--didn't think they would because is starts and runs great for a little bit. The choke plunger works correctly but I ordered one just incase it is wore down enough to leak by, will have to wait a week though. Next I am going to pull the tank and clean it out very good, hopefully tonight. Just a note: nothing plugging the exhaust or airbox. I try to trap my mice then send them into orbit with the spud gun!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #3

ATV: 2001 300 4x4
Did you ever get your cat running right? If not check the rubber intake boot for cracks and/or signs of dry rot. It could be sucking in air. I have a 2001 I bought that would not run more than a few seconds. The previous owner got tired of messing with it. Once I discovered the problem, I was able to "refurbish" it (couldn't find a reasonable used one) and the atv runs good now.
jteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #4

Nope I haven't got it fixed yet. I have some parts ordered since I tore the carb down and those flat head jets and pilot screw just would not come out easy. I did order a boot from the carb to the airbox because it is just starting to get dry and have some small cracks. I looked at the boot to the engine from the carb and that one is good still. I also went over the diaphragm many times but can not find any holes or cracks in it(I am wondering if the slide is wore enough to cause problems, may be next part ordered if everything I have don't correct it). I should be able to reassemble the carb this weekend with new float needle valve and seat, new main jet, pilot jet, air jet, choke plunger, jet needle, and spring ring on jet needle. What disappoints me is that I have measured the new parts with the old and they are the same, so I am not seeing any wear on the jet needle, jet needle spring ring, and the choke plunger. I'll post an update when I get to tango with it.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #5

The boot between the carb and engine is what I was referring too. Mine had tiny hairline cracks in the rubber. I taped off the ends and sprayed it with about 10 coats of spray on "plastidip", letting it dry between each coat. Run like a champ after reassembly.
The Following User Says Thank You to jteam For This Useful Post:
Grut (09-16-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #6

Nice fix on the boot. Thanks for the idea. I know that boot costs over a hundred bucks. My boot looks great because I looked at it a couple of times but I will spray that area with starter fluid and see if it changes how it runs. I am also making sure the diaphragm is moving when I test it, because that is what I am thinking may be next on the list.
Jteam was yours doing the same as mine by starting up normal and idling fine but when ever you try to give it any throttle it just bogs down and barely chugs? Then the kicker is when you let off the throttle it goes back to idling fine. My buddy has a honda rancher which he had the same exact problem, his jet needle was worn really bad. Mine is not but I have a new one to try.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #7

"It idles rough like it is lacking gas and you can not rev it"

That's what mine was doing. The idle was poor and I couldn't rev it at all. It just wouldn't take the fuel. I did a good cleaning on the carb and it continued. That's when I decided to do the boot. Cost me about $6 for a shot in the dark. I don't know how long it will hold up though.Good luck.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #8

jteam,

I am hoping to work on it later today. Mine actually starts up fine and idles fine, it is just when ever you give it any gas it bogs bad with no power. I think in the origiinal post I stated it idled rough which was because the float needle started to stick open giving it too much gas and then flooding engine after turned off. I have that problem corrected. It started out intermettant which leads me to believe something is worn or sticking in the carb or even electrical. Everyone I have spoke to stated that it is in the carb. We will see when I get back on there and test it out. I will go over that boot very good before assembling, just to be sure. I was hoping someone on here had the same exact problem with a fix to it. Oh well I will keep this post updated so when I do find out someone else can benefit from it. We'll see what I have when I get back to it?!?!? idle wise, throttle wise,etc.

Grut

Last edited by Grut; 09-18-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #9

Have you thought about your CDI? You may have lack of fire when throttling the motor.
jcli901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #10

Well, I seem to be having the same issue. 2oo2 500. Idles awesome. Just purs, all day long. Give it one little blip and dies. Starts back up to idle like nothing happened. It will rev a little if I choke it but that soon fails as well. It would make sense about the boot between the carb and motor. Gonna take a look tom. I'll update.
tilemanbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting

Search tags for this page
01 arctic cat 300 4x4 runs rough when warm
1999 cat 500 4x4 runs good for 5 minutes then runs ruff
1999 cat 500 4x4 runs great when cold then runs ruff

2000 300 arctic cat atv troubleshooting dies when given gas

2000 arctic cat 300 4x4 runs rough

2000 artic cat 300 idles but bogs out when giving gas

2000 articat 300 runs bads
arctic cat 300 4x4 problems
artic cat 300 starts rough
where is the air jet pilot located arctic cat 300#gsc.tab
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.