Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting Place your Utility ATV Repair and Maintenance questions/thoughts here... *not performance*

Old 08-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #1

'97 Bearcat 454 - Cant find Neutral?

Hi all
was tooling around briefly on my bearcat 454 today, drove into garage and suddenly cant find neutral - or, more accurately, cant display on the indicator light. I know its in neutral becasue I can push forward and back, and I can start with the pull start. I can't use starter, though, which leads me to believe it may be a switch or adjustment??? Looked through my service manual but no luck there... any thoughts on diagnosing/repairing?? TIA
kekearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #2

ATV: ThunderLemon 1000
2008 Mileage: Depends upon Fa
 Quote: Originally Posted by kekearney View Post
Hi all
was tooling around briefly on my bearcat 454 today, drove into garage and suddenly cant find neutral - or, more accurately, cant display on the indicator light. I know its in neutral becasue I can push forward and back, and I can start with the pull start. I can't use starter, though, which leads me to believe it may be a switch or adjustment??? Looked through my service manual but no luck there... any thoughts on diagnosing/repairing?? TIA
If that particular year/model has diodes in the fuse box you may of installed a diode in backwards or have a bad diode. Assuming that is a manual transmission. There should be a shift sensor switch on the side of the transmission with a bundle of about 7 wires coming out of it. A common hot or ground wire and one of the other 6 wires should be active for each gear position, reverse and neutral. Did you checked the pinned section to see if you can down load a wiring diagram for it? if not the correct year, maybe a wiring diagram for an older 400 or 500 manual would be close enough???

Troubleshooting First Steps, An amazing number of problems are cured with just these two items.

1. Make sure your battery is FULLY Charged.
2. Try a new spark plug.

Search threads, Check Pinned Section. Pinned Topics Manual or wiring diagram? Manuals
http://countrycat.com/ccstore/index...._Diagrams.html

Improving Search.

Better results when searching for specific information. To find threads where ALL the words, instead of ANY of the words "650H1, Carb, Jetting, Needle Jet, Snorkel" were found...Open up a search window in www.google.com In the find box type without the quotes "650H1 Carb Jetting Needle Jet Snorkel site:Arcticchat.com" & Press return. Find threads, replies or topics by a specific member; just by inserting their user name into the search list; Chances are, your problem is NOT unique and it has been solved many times before.

Are you in a hurry to get an answer?
Use the Google Search Tip
Wyo_H1_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wyo_H1_Cat For This Useful Post:
kekearney (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #3

Thanks - it appears to have cleared up - perhaps it got wet during a cleanup... appreciate your response! KK
kekearney is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting

Search tags for this page

1996 bearcat 454 transmission

97 arctic cat bearcat 454 reverse light comes while in neutral

arctic cat 454 neutal switch
arctic cat 454 neutral switch

bearcat 454 neutral

cant get the neutral light on bear cat artic cat 454

how to find neutral in actic cat454 4/4

how to find neutral on a arctic cat 454 bearcat

shifter artic cat 454

where is the nuetral switch on a arctic cat 454

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.