Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting Place your Utility ATV Repair and Maintenance questions/thoughts here... *not performance*

Old 08-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #1

2008 Arctic Cat 700 efi backfires and stalls

Im hoping someone on here might be able to answer as Ive had no luck with my dealer.
I have a 2008 Arctic Cat 700 EFI that has 328 miles and was running excellent up until this afternoon when I went to run it...now mind you it has sat for a week or two. But I got it turned over first shot no problem and let it ilde for 1-2 mins and took off on it. I got about 400 yards and it started backfiring and starting to sputter. it did this untill it stalled. I started it back up and it cranked real hard for 10-15 seconds. I finally got it started and let it "warm up" for another min and took back off on it till i got about another 100 yards, it did the same thing, and it died on me all together. When i tried to start it again, it would stall as soon as I touched the throttle.
I initially thought it was fuel pump but i can hear it run. after doing research i think it might be the TPS (throttle position sensor). Can anyone confirm? Ive heard people talking about adjusting them, is it something special or do you need a tool or something? Ive read something about "center of the screen" and "lines" and "codes". Can someone shed some light...
Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance
motormaniac801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #2

ATV: 2008 700 h1
2010 Mileage: 1400
2009 Mileage: 1500
2008 Mileage: 1600
I would check the simple stuff first. Plugs,fuel, air and then go more advanced. I would think (not for sure) that it would trip a code if the tps was failing. If the fuel has water in it, it will spit and sputter. If it didn't get warmed up it may have fouled the plug. It happened to me one time changed the plug and no more problems.
IINVNO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by IINVNO1 View Post
If the fuel has water in it, it will spit and sputter.
How easy is it for it to get water in the tank and hows the best way to drain the gas?
I dont think it could be the plug as it still will start and run but as soon as I touch the throttle it dies out. I did notice if I kept pumping the throttle rapidly it stayed running but very poorly.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #4

ATV: 05' 500 4X4 Auto
I just used one of those cheap siphons (sp.?) that I have for my K1 heater. Think you can get them at any auto parts store or maybe even wal-mart. Once it was drained I splashed another 1/2 gallon or so in, and then pulled that out as well. Most will suggest to pull the whole tank, but I figured the way I did it if there was any water or grit in there it would be pretty diluted anyways.
4X4KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #5

ATV: 2008 700 h1
2010 Mileage: 1400
2009 Mileage: 1500
2008 Mileage: 1600
Wow, pumpin the throttle and it seems to run? Still could be bad gas. Still COULD be a plug. Some plugs act up under a load. It really sounds like it's lacking fuel. May try the fuel filter may have sucked up a BUNCH of crap. I would think, like I said that it would throw a code but maybe not. If it was the efi.
IINVNO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by IINVNO1 View Post
It really sounds like it's lacking fuel. May try the fuel filter may have sucked up a BUNCH of crap.
any idea where the fuel filters located on the 700 efi? i tried tracking down the fuel line from the tank to the throttle body and didnt see anything that looked like a filter, unless its in the tank.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #7

ATV: 2008 700EFI TRV LE
2008 Mileage: 4500 km's
If you look at the gas tank you'll see the fuel filter running from the tank.

Definitely check the tps as well. You don't need to remove the front plastics to adjust it.
RTR 2" flex bracket lift, HIDs, Amsteel Blue synthetic winch rope, Aluminum Hawse fairlead, winch saver, ITP SS212s, 28" Outlaw MSTs, Kimpex trunk box, AC front bumper, 3000lb Warn winch, Garmin 60CX GPS, Hosstopper stick savers, Intake snorkel
last5oh_302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: '08 TRV 500
2010 Mileage: 3300 km
2009 Mileage: 3000 km
 Quote: Originally Posted by motormaniac801 View Post
How easy is it for it to get water in the tank and hows the best way to drain the gas?
I dont think it could be the plug as it still will start and run but as soon as I touch the throttle it dies out. I did notice if I kept pumping the throttle rapidly it stayed running but very poorly.

If you fill with jerry cans then you are bound to get water in the fuel at some point. I run seafoam in every other tank to prevent this.

Best way to make sure you get every drop of fuel out of the tank is to remove it.
Custom diamond plate storage boxes | Powermadd handguards | Quadrax 2500 lbs winch | Moose Hand/Thumb warmers | Sanny circuit breakers | 26" interco swamplites on stock rims | Yuasa Battery | Sanny A-arm bushings w/ grease fittings | 2" flex lift | Snorkels | Looped crank vent mod | Custom audio setup | Arctic Cat block heater | Engine Ice coolant | Front and rear brush guard bumpers | Battery Tender jr | ///Airdam stage 1 | Speedwerx 42# stall springs | Amsteel Blue synthetic rope | UHMW hawse fairlead | UNI Air filter | Engine Brake Deleted | Xentec 6000k HIDs| 55w Halogen Reverse light | The Whoolie Shop LED's | LED high beam bulbs | Fuel filter | 3/16" Aluminum skid plate | Modded stock exhaust | Dynojet Kit-144 main-42 pilot-Needle on 3rd notch | Ride in springs

Terry Slaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by Terry Slaney View Post
If you fill with jerry cans then you are bound to get water in the fuel at some point. I run seafoam in every other tank to prevent this.

Best way to make sure you get every drop of fuel out of the tank is to remove it.
Youre right, I have been running gas from the plastic cans. Its been extremely hot lately which means condensation and moisture everywhere.

Last night I pulled the rear plastic off, took the tank out, and drained it. I had some weird stuff on the whilte filter bag inside the tank that looked like caramel (???). the gas that was in there was bright orange and looked like some serious rust, too. (I let the old gas settle over night...i still cant see the bottom). I put new gas in and then went to clean out the filter. It was covered in oil and was moderately dirty. nothing too serious thou.

I started it back up and it started right up but ran low idle for no more than 2 mins. Once it was warm and got some new gas its been running great.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting

Search tags for this page

2008 arctic cat 700 efi

4x4 3000i colt backfire when drivin hot
arctic cat 700 efibackfiring on intake

arctic cat atv backfire

arctic cat xf 7000 stalls as soon as you throttle
backfire 700 prowler artic cat
i have an arctic cat atv will start but back fires san stalls out
prowler 700 backfiring

what makes 2008 prowler backfire

why does my arctic cat 700 efi quad backfire an then throttle sticks
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.