Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting Place your Utility ATV Repair and Maintenance questions/thoughts here... *not performance*

Old 06-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #1

ATV: 2006 Arctic Cat 400
Foot Brake no resistance

Ok so I have been out only a couple of times this year. The first few times there seemed to be at least little resistance when applying the foot brake. Hand brakes work great. Usually I only use the foot brake when starting the vehichle in High or Low. I use it to change from High to Low to Neutral to Reverse. Not sure if it is needed for changing between the gears but I do it anyway. Could this be just a worn brake pad or am I possibly looking at something more extensive that could be wrong? Shouldn't I have at least the ability to slow the machine down when applying the foot brake?
KingZeke24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 06-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,238 Posts
ATV: 07 500 auto 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
 Quote: Originally Posted by KingZeke24 View Post
Ok so I have been out only a couple of times this year. The first few times there seemed to be at least little resistance when applying the foot brake. Hand brakes work great. Usually I only use the foot brake when starting the vehichle in High or Low. I use it to change from High to Low to Neutral to Reverse. Not sure if it is needed for changing between the gears but I do it anyway. Could this be just a worn brake pad or am I possibly looking at something more extensive that could be wrong? Shouldn't I have at least the ability to slow the machine down when applying the foot brake?
Measure your pad first.Manual says no less than 1mm
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--
2013 700 XT trv eps stock

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #3

I will measure the pad and check if there is fluid in the master cylinder. I really hope it isn't a big deal. I can't imagine changing the brakes on one of these machines is too difficult.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Thanked 1,339 Times in 1,238 Posts
ATV: 07 500 auto 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
 Quote: Originally Posted by KingZeke24 View Post
I will measure the pad and check if there is fluid in the master cylinder. I really hope it isn't a big deal. I can't imagine changing the brakes on one of these machines is too difficult.
very very simple. www.mymowerparts.com free downloadable manual
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--
2013 700 XT trv eps stock

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #5

Thanks for the link. I figure I have been changing brakes on my cars and trucks for the last 15 years so it can be too different.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
ATV: '08 TRV 500
2010 Mileage: 3300 km
2009 Mileage: 3000 km
In confused me at first, once you do it once its super easy though.
Custom diamond plate storage boxes | Powermadd handguards | Quadrax 2500 lbs winch | Moose Hand/Thumb warmers | Sanny circuit breakers | 26" interco swamplites on stock rims | Yuasa Battery | Sanny A-arm bushings w/ grease fittings | 2" flex lift | Snorkels | Looped crank vent mod | Custom audio setup | Arctic Cat block heater | Engine Ice coolant | Front and rear brush guard bumpers | Battery Tender jr | ///Airdam stage 1 | Speedwerx 42# stall springs | Amsteel Blue synthetic rope | UHMW hawse fairlead | UNI Air filter | Engine Brake Deleted | Xentec 6000k HIDs| 55w Halogen Reverse light | The Whoolie Shop LED's | LED high beam bulbs | Fuel filter | 3/16" Aluminum skid plate | Modded stock exhaust | Dynojet Kit-144 main-42 pilot-Needle on 3rd notch | Ride in springs

Terry Slaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Sled: 99 ZR7OO
ATV: (2) 2007 7OO efi's & 2009 7OO H1 SE
The foot operated brake is an assist to the hand brake.
I wouldn't waste too much time or money on trying to get them to work good. They are so small that over use of them and your back to a glazed pad and there worthless again.
The only time I use mine is when I need to stop fast, then I use both foot and hand at the same time. Other than that, I never use them.

“How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?”

I want to share something with you: The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number 1: Cover for me. Number 2: Oh, good idea, Boss! Number 3: It was like that when I got here.

Up the creek without a saddle. Archie Bunker
tiggershark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #8

So I popped off the seat and opened the resevoir for what I assume is the rear brake. I could not see any fluid. I plan to put in some new fluid and check for any leeks. If I am lucky, I won't have to replace any parts.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: I Wish
ATV: 04 400 4x4 FIS
I'm not sure about the 06's but my resevoir on my 04 is mounted on the frame rail at the front of the rear right fender, chances are you have a leak, if its the line leaking your in luck thats the cheapest brake line on a cat to get, should be about $50 from the stealer, or you can order that one from

Rennspot Auto Parts - OEM Quality Parts for imported and domestic cars

for about $20,

if its your cylinder, personally i just took mine off and threw it in the parts box... shed the dead weight and have a fancy pedal that operates a nice flashy red light now lol.. i always hear dirtbikers dropping gears behind me cause the pedal rattles off the sensor

brake pads are easy as pie, make sure your pins arent toast, and if they are even slightly bent order new ones,
Farrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » ATV's » Utility ATV repair and maintenance & Troubleshooting

Search tags for this page

04 arctic cat 400 rear brake adjustment

2004 arctic cat 400 rear brake adjustment

2004 artic cat 500 rear brakes

adjusting brake on arctic cat trv
adjusting rear brakes on a arctic cat atv

arctic cat 2007 atv 500 foot brake diagram

how do you adjust brakes on an articat 400 atv
how to adjust the foot brake on an arctic cat 500

how to fix foot brake on atv

rear brake adjustment on 2010 450 artic cat
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.