Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The official what OIL to use thread!!

80K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Terry Slaney 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I thought I would make this post and hopefully it'll get pinned as im sure several of us have seen enough of the what oil is best threads over the years. The answer to that question is really very simple its whatever you prefer to use in your own machine....

This subject has been beaten like a dead horse deadh0rseso to keep it simple I will rattle off a few of the more popular brands and then provide a pic that is really the only thing you need to worry about when selecting your preferred motor oil.

Arctic Cat
Shell Rotella T-6 ( probably the most used other than Cat oil)
Amsoil
Lucas Motorcycle oil
Valvoline Motorcycle oil

That is just to name a few of the popular but pricey options out there. Below is a pic showing very clearly what you need to look for on your choice of motor oil.

On the back of every single quart or gallon jug of motor oil there will be a little circle like the ones in the picture above and like the picture above your oil CANNOT and I repeat CANNOT say energy conserving, the reason is this oil that IS energy conserving has whats called friction modifiers in it that WILL cause your wet clutches to slip... Now any and I do mean ANY oil that dont say energy conserving is safe to use in your machine.

When it concerns what weight of oil to use simply judge based on the climate you live in and the type of riding you do....i.e. colder climates would deff want thinner oil whereas hotter climates would want a thicker oil..also people who race their bikes would want a heavier weight oil something along the lines of a 20-50 or so.

The point im trying to make in this thread is if you ask the question what motor oil is best to use your going to recieve 100 different answers.

Now im not suggesting there is no difference between el cheapo oil and top shelf oil im simply saying make the decision for yourself based on what you feel would be best for your bike.

I realize most people ask because they have heard over the years that if you run the wrong oil you will ruin your bike and fact is if you run the wrong oil you stand a significant chance of ruining your wet clutch but if you understand the above photo then you will understand all you need to about whats safe for your machine.

See less See more
#3 ·
about time!!! should be pinned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.