NavbitArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Off Topics & Summer Fun » Summer Fun » Trailers » Sled Shield molded plastic snowmobile cover

Trailers Post your trailer questions here.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #1

Sled: CAT
Sled Shield molded plastic snowmobile cover

So, I'm currently looking at buying a Sled Shield from Sterling Technologies. I'm going to be purchasing 4 sleds worth (8 halves) of these. I know some people expressed some concern in the past with the company itself but I have not seen any red flags. There was a reference to a sales guy with Sterling on another forum, but he is no longer there. I've been working with a guy named Carey who has been extremely responsive. The fact that I'm ordering 4 sleds worth of covers is offsetting the shipping costs that others have complained about before.

Anyone have any recent feedback or reason to pull the plug on the order? I haven't given them my money yet.

I plan on doing a full write up of my experience (including picture and video clips)

Here is what they look like. I would imagine it's the same sorth of material as a regular salt shield.

I will keep you all posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Sled Shield molded plastic snowmobile cover-sled-shield.jpg  
UP Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #2

Sled: 1998Thundercat 1000 & 2000 ZRT 1000
They look good, i am in the plastics industry and they look like they should hold up fine as they have some structure. The material will be a polypropylene or polyethelyne (both impact resistant). I am sure they have a UV additive in it....but they will fade over time as with everything else. Keep us updated

Current sleds

1998 ZR 500???
2000 ZRT 1000??
1999 ZRT 800???

Past sleds
1998 Thundercat
1998 zrt 600
1988 Exciter
1974 Skidoo TNT silver bullet
1974 Skidoo 340
1972 Scorpion stinger 440
1972 Snow prince
Thunderstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #3

I was wrong, it is roto molded. Looks like a nice product!

Current sleds

1998 ZR 500???
2000 ZRT 1000??
1999 ZRT 800???

Past sleds
1998 Thundercat
1998 zrt 600
1988 Exciter
1974 Skidoo 340
1972 Snow prince
Old 08-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #4

Okay, that sounds good!

I will have to get a little creative with mounting hardware as I do not want to make any permanent modifications to my trailer. I have a few ideas in mind, and the manufacturer mentioned using rubber latches to keep the two pieces together. It is a very inexpensive product when compared to some of the other shells and covers on the market. Our sleds are stored indoors in a climate controlled warehouse, but we always cringe at how quickly 3-4 trips from Illinois to the UP of Michigan in a season can do some serious damage. This will make it much easier to give a rinse to the molded covers instead of our fabric covers before putting them away each time. We also like the idea of using our open four place trailer for carrying other things that exceed the normal dimensions of most enclosed trailers and we frankly can't justify the expense of an enclosed trailer. Hopefully this will give us the best of both worlds.

I think this would be a good product for people that leave their sleds outdoors all year. I am always baffled when driving through towns in Wisconsin and Michigan at how many sleds (some of them costing well over 8K) sit outside with either just the regular cover or no cover on at all. Seems like this would be a good alternative to rusty parts.

We'll see.....
Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #5

How much are they?

Current sleds

1998 ZR 500???
2000 ZRT 1000??
1999 ZRT 800???

Past sleds
1998 Thundercat
1998 zrt 600
1988 Exciter
1974 Skidoo 340
1972 Snow prince
Old 08-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #6

I just PM'd you. Not sure if they want me advertising price, as I think I got a deal. *Hint* When I called for pricing I did reference a posting from another forum that I found through a search engine where pricing was reflected by the previous Sales Manager.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #7

UP Cat, that looks like a nice product. I want a enclosed trailer also but these look like they would work great on my single place open trailer. i went ot the web site but they dont list these covers? Did you purchase your yet? How do you like them? Any photos?
Crossfire SnoPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #8

Where to begin......well, I received a pallet with our order for 4 sleds worth of covers (8 halves) on last Wednesday. The pallet showed up with obvious issues. The way they were shipped was on an extra long pallet with plywood sides that were about 18" high. One of the sides was completely off and one other side was about two nails away from being pulled completely off as well. The edges of the shields had collapsed from the weight (763 lbs. was what the truck driver said they weighed including the skid). I was not too happy as the edges were all splayed out and obviously bent. The driver was in a hurry and wanted to leave and kept saying "those will be fine". I called the manufacturer and the customer service rep I had worked with. To the credit of Sterling Technologies, the operator could tell I was a little panicked and went to the company cafeteria to get my customer service rep as she was more closely involved with my order. The rep was very helpful and told me to take pictures of the skid, note the damage on the paperwork for the truck driver and give them a day or two to see if they would go back into form. She mentioned that if they did not or if I was not happy they would make a claim against the shipping company and I would get a new set sent out. She also noted that in reviewing the pictures I sent, it looked like the shipping company must have placed something on top of the skid which caused the internal shipping support to break and the sides to blow out.

The shields did go somewhat back into form but for the money we paid I would prefer them to be in perfect form. We should receive our new shields in a few weeks as they do not currently have any shelf stock and are not scheduled to make another run of the shields for another week or so. No big deal as long as I have them before the snow flies.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
These shields are VERY HEAVY DUTY. They have to be at least a quarter inch thick! Very rigid! I will go into more detail on these once I have my set I am going to keep. One item to note is that depending on how you are going to install these, you may want to make sure you are comfortable with a little DIY on the install. If you are going to mount these to your trailer and don't mind making permanent modifications to your trailer (drilling the side rail or screwing into the deck) you should be fine. If you are like me and want to be able to put these on and remove them from time to time and leave no permanent markings then stay tuned. I have a couple good ideas that should do the trick but I want to test them first. I will post pix and video of how I attach mine.

As far as pix right now, I only have a few grainy cell phone pictures I snapped of them on the skid. If you are interested in a picture showing a certain feature, let me know and I'll see what I can do before they come pick these up to take them back.

As far as ordering, just call the phone number on the website and ask for Cary Quigley. He is who I worked with to get mine.

I can tell you all this much. Even though I've had a bit of trouble on this first delivery, this is going to be a great product that will work great. I'm excited to get my next set.
The Following User Says Thank You to UP Cat For This Useful Post:
Crossfire SnoPro (08-22-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #9

To all following: I posted some videos of these on YouTube. Click on the link. Once I get the Shields I will be using on the trailer I will get more in depth. The first set was picked up by the freight company yesterday. The new ones should be here in a few weeks.

Also, I measure thickness with my digital caliper. They are .270 thick. That's just over a quarter inch. VERY HEAVY DUTY!

Old 09-22-2011, 06:56 AM   #10

Sled: 07 F8 SP, 07 F8 LXR
10-11 Mileage:
09-10 Mileage: 629
08-09 Mileage: 2002
07-08 Mileage: 1800
06-07 Mileage: 2300
is this really cost affective compared to a regular cover???

talonbourne01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Off Topics & Summer Fun » Summer Fun » Trailers

Search tags for this page
fiberglass snowmobile trailer cover

hard covers for snowmobile trailers

molded plastic snowmobile cover

plastic single sled cover

plastic snowmobile trailer cover

plastic snowmobile trailer covers

snowmobile trailer cover

snowmobile trailer covers

snowmobile trailer enclosure
snowmobile trailer hard covers
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.