Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

7000 Pantera questions

10K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Baydog 
#1 ·
Just joined the forum. Have ridden Polaris sleds for years but looking to buy a nice two up touring sled. Have been researching and I really like what I see with the 2015 and newer Pro-tour Pantera. I've not had a chance to ride one. There also seems to be a lot of non-current new Pantera's at dealers. Are these sleds good? I've heard people say there are a lot of reverse gear and clutch/belt problems with Cats. I'm not a newbie to sleds and I'm a pretty good wrench.

Looking to go 4 stroke, not looking for a warp speed missile so I'm sure the Yamaha triple would have plenty of power. What are the opinions on the 3000 model as well? Guess I would like to hear from those of you who own these sleds. What things are good? What things are not so good. Should I take the plunge and buy one?

#2 ·
Pantera 7000 is the best all-around touring sled I've ever ridden. Don't buy the 3000 if you want to go at least 50mph. The 7000 has plenty of power and handles like a Cadillac. Take the two up off and you have a single touring sled. I put a BMK torsion conversion kit in and love it. 4900 miles on original belt. No other problems. Changed oil and carbides this year only.

#4 ·
I have the 3000 pantera touring. It is not a lake rocket for sure but is probably the best touring machine out there. I tried both the 7000 and 3000. The 3000 was much lighter and handled better. The 7000 was noticeably heavy but definitely had more power and speed. It all depends on what your needs are. Neither is better than the other, just depends what it will be used for. If you like speed, get the 7000. If you like touring 2up, get the 3000, it's easier to drive.

#5 ·
Do you ride 2up a lot on your Pantera 3000? If so, what speed will it get up to pulling double on groomed trails? Is it sluggish/slow coming up to cruising speed or does it pull nicely off the line up to a certain speed and then just level off? I notice the running boards are an open design...does your passenger get cold feet because of that? Ever check fuel mileage? Would appreciate your thoughts/experience with the sled.
I never got to ride one as none of the Cat dealers in our area have demo/rental sleds and our trails were only open for about 3 weeks total. If I buy one it's likely to be without a test ride.

#7 ·
I bought a Pantera...already got a problem

I bought a used 2015 Pantera 7000 with approx. 700 miles about a month ago. Dealer says it was a demonstrator/VIP sled and they are sold as is...no mfr warranty. Nice shape and everything seemed to work fine. Wife and I are both hoping for a good winter...looking forward to that first ride! It's been sitting in my enclosed trailer since I got it home. Have been really busy at work...I should be polishing on it but just haven't had time to do anything lately. Was showing it to a family member last weekend and noticed the brakes now don't work...pump the lever and nothing at all. I haven't tried to bleed the brakes yet, but there appears to be no leaks anywhere and the master cylinder is full. Is this a common problem on Cats?
My first Arctic Cat in over 20 years...sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

#8 ·
Are you saying when you pull the brake handle it goes all the way to the bar? It's not a common problem associated with Cat as those brakes are always reliable. It almost sounds like you just need to bleed them. With the low mileage there may have been some air in it from new and once it sat for a while it made its way to the master cylinder.

#9 · (Edited)
Still really busy at work but got a chance to check out the brakes. First thing, checked the fluid in the reservoir. Found it to be very badly contaminated and smelled like paint thinner. Even the rubber bellows under the cap was warped/damaged as though it was soaked in lacquer thinner. Flushed it out and tried to bleed the brakes with clean fluid...no pressure at all. I suspected the seals in the master cylinder suffered the same fate as the rubber bellows.

It all started to add up. I was told this sled was a factory VIP demonstrator and saw mostly duty in Yellowstone. The digital hour meter shows less than 50 hrs total run time on the engine. Dividing that by the miles the sled has on shows an average travel speed of about 20 mph. I've concluded the sled was likely used for one winter and then just sat around for a long time. It must have sat outside somewhere in the hot sun for a period of time...all the handlebar controls and windshield show some effects of sun exposure.

Things are not so bad, however. I contacted the dealer where I bought it and explained the situation, hoping to at least get a discount on a new master cylinder as the sled was sold with no factory warranty in effect. I was pleasantly surprised when the service manager offered without hesitation to send me a new complete assembly at no charge. (Good Guy call out to Steve in service at Road Track & Trail in Big Bend WI)
I couldn't totally buff out the sun damage to the windshield either. Although it would pass for some people...I'm a bit fussy. Steve sold me a brand new windshield at a great discount...both parts drop shipped right to me from Arctic Cat. Soon as I get some more quality time I'll get 'er fixed up. Meanwhile I've downloaded the shop service manual and I'm quickly getting to "know my equipment." Looking forward to that first ride.:smile

#10 ·
Finally got around to working on my Pantera. I thought the brakes/master cylinder would be a pretty easy repair. I've got a lot of repair experience with all sorts of vehicles but I've never seen one do this. Installed the new master cylinder assembly and confirmed it was primed. When we tried to bleed out the system as outlined in the factory service manual it absolutely refused to make any pressure. Checked and confirmed nothing was plugged or leaking with the brake line and caliper. Was just about to throw in the towel when my uncle just idly squeezed the brake lever a few times with the caliper bleeder open and the cover off...and suddenly fluid starts to slowly spit out the bleeder with each stroke. We kept pumping the brake and refilling the reservoir with the bleeder OPEN until fluid was squirting out nearly full stream with each stroke. At that point I closed the bleeder and the lever felt nearly perfect. Pumped up one more time and popped the bleeder...presto! Perfect brakes.
Gave the sled a good thorough checkover, removed and fully charged the battery, replaced the windshield, and polished 'er up from stem to stern. Installed new Arctic Cat accessory tank/map bag and passenger handle muffs. Ready for the trails!:BigGrin

#11 ·
For you guys that ride two up often, look into 12 volt boot heaters for the passenger.......like these
https://www.thewarmingstore.com/ger...MIpOu7mrWm2AIVQ7XACh2bTgAcEAQYAiABEgKoXvD_BwE
your passenger will be very happy! My wife has over 20,000 miles on the back of a two up and 12 volt heaters are an absolute must for her on most days....."yes, she has high end boots", but there is no colder place for feet than the back of a two up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.