Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #1

1996 Cougar 550 2 Up won't rev up

I went to run my cougar around the yard last night, and couldn't get the rpm's to run up over 3000, it would idle ok, the lights flicker a little bit, and seem dim. I put some isopropyl in the gas and let it idle for an hour and tried it a number of times, and couldn't get the machine to engage the drive for more than 10 feet. I have read a number of threads regarding the stator being a problem causing these types of issues, can anyone tell me how to locate and test the stator? I was going to buy a manual as well, but figured I could get it right from the experts here, Thanks!
scrapedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #2

Sled: 1998 Cougar
Don't add Heet or any kind alcohol to your gas if you're if it already has ethanol in it. First of all you don't need it. Second I heard you can create a lean condition by diluting the gas with even more alcohol.
fastdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #3

Find the connector between the stator and the sled. 3 wires, usually either yellow or black wires. Unplug it

Get a multimeter, put it on ohms. One lead on ground, touch the other to each of the three pins on the engine side of the connector. Should be no circuit on any....if there's any continuity the stator is bad.

Next put it to the lowest ohms scale, like 200 or 100 or something. Put the leads on pins 1/2, 2/3, then 1/3 to test all three legs. Note the ohm readings. They should all be close to each other, and somewhere between .5-1.5 ohms or so. Zero ohms means it's shorted, high ohms probably means it's burnt internally. Either case indicates a problem.

Drain a carb bowl into a clear container, if there is water in the fuel it will be very evident, and water tends to collect in carb bowls/low spots since water sinks in gas.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Touring, Pather/pantera...ect

Search tags for this page
1996 arctic cat cougar 550 are they fast

1996 arctic cat cougar 550 clutch stuck

1996 arctic cat cougar 550 fuel filter direction

1996 arctic cat cougar 550 won't start problems

1996 arctic cougar

98 arctic cat cougar 550 headlight shorting out

arctic cat 550 wont rev past 5000

arctic cat pantera won't rev

how fast is a cugar 550

snowmobile wont rev up

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.