Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Drive clutch fell off?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  steelheadtodd 
#1 ·
The other day i was driving my girlfriends sled and i had just put new chain, shift fork, and pistons in it this year. reason i was driving hers was cuz i need mine this weekend. the sled it a 2000 artic cat panther 550 and i was hearing a weird ticking and all of a sudden the moter reved up really high so i quickly killed it and opened the hood. the drive clutch had fallen right off and was so hot it burned a hole in my glove and left me with a good burn on my hand and i was wondering if anybody has any ideas wat wuld make it fall of cuz they rnt easy to tak off u need a puller to take it off.

#3 ·
Sounds like you got lucky. Someone in our group had one come off a ZR700 years ago and it was like a little tazmanian devil was let loose in the bellypan!

#4 ·
Because of their design, twins are harder on clutches than triples. If you get a clutch out of balance due to a broken pin, jammed weight, etc., the bolt's going to break and the clutch is coming off. A clutch that will burn your hand to touch is a sure sign of trouble. I wouldn't even try to rebuild it after all that. Go for a new unit, totally calibrated with new weights, pins, spring, everything.

#5 ·
i just lost my clutch off my 99 zr 700 thank god i was just reddy to take off fast and the bolt snaped off. scratched up my other clutch a bit think it will be ok though will try and smooth it up a bit. if it eats belts ill be gettin a new one ..oh ya they can make a mess if they come unglued at a high r.p.m. lol . looking out the window its snowing pretty good out... humm best be getting at that new bolt !!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.