Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Forum To discuss the upcoming SVX 450

14K views 52 replies 21 participants last post by  doorfx 
#1 ·
Here is the teaser video

#3 ·
Thanks again Krom for a very quick response to my request. Much Appreciated.

Now I better contribute.

Not a lot of details out yet but here is what I have picked up and what I wonder about:

- based on the Sherco 450. Not sure that has been said officially but that is the consensus and it sure looks like a Sherco. For those that are not familiar they are a French/Spanish manufacturer of Off-Road and Trials bikes that is making their way into the North American market. Off-Road bikes are made in France and the Trials bikes in Spain. I know a dealer here in Southern Ontario plus a few guys that ride them and they love them....good reputation. As the 450 is an off roader and not an MX bike, if all other things were equal it would be a slightly heavier overall kit. That's an assumption not knowing how heavy the skid is and doesn't really matter. Lots of awesome snowbikes based on offroaders

- E-Start but No kickstart by the looks of it. The Sherco doesn't have it in bike form. Lots of people like this for peace of mind. Maybe it has a bigger battery in SVX form?

- 6 Speed

- Skid looks more complex than a Timbersled or Yeti etc. Maybe more tech in there similar to an AC sled skid. Wonder how it compares ride and weight wise?

- looks like there might be space for fuel can and gear on the tunnel but hard to tell

- Footpegs look like standard off road size. Lots of people like wider for snowbikes

- Ski and spindle look interesting...maybe 10 inch? Lots of carbide and triple concave

- Did they make all the appropriate mods like thermostat tuned for cold and powder to keep engine temps up...would have to assume so?

- Grip heaters?

- I like Euro bikes but wonder why they didn't use a Yamaha. Many agree that the new YZ450FX is an excellent snowbike platform

- Price is a big question

- Will there be a kit to convert it to dirt use? Being a 12 month vehicle would make it easier to justify, whatever price they end up at. That said, there are not many dirt riders who would be in the market for a Sherco 450. If it is convertible, would think a Yamaha would have had broader appeal.

- Big question for me is with the OFSC (Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs) allow them on the trails. Right now snowbikes are banned. They only allow vehicles that are designed first as a snow vehicle (hence Snowhawks being allowed)

Would love to hear others thoughts and correct me if I am wrong on any of the above.

#5 ·
Thanks again Krom for a very quick response to my request. Much Appreciated.

Now I better contribute.

Not a lot of details out yet but here is what I have picked up and what I wonder about:

- based on the Sherco 450. Not sure that has been said officially but that is the consensus and it sure looks like a Sherco. For those that are not familiar they are a French/Spanish manufacturer of Off-Road and Trials bikes that is making their way into the North American market. Off-Road bikes are made in France and the Trials bikes in Spain. I know a dealer here in Southern Ontario plus a few guys that ride them and they love them....good reputation. As the 450 is an off roader and not an MX bike, if all other things were equal it would be a slightly heavier overall kit. That's an assumption not knowing how heavy the skid is and doesn't really matter. Lots of awesome snowbikes based on offroaders

- E-Start but No kickstart by the looks of it. The Sherco doesn't have it in bike form. Lots of people like this for peace of mind. Maybe it has a bigger battery in SVX form?

- 6 Speed

- Skid looks more complex than a Timbersled or Yeti etc. Maybe more tech in there similar to an AC sled skid. Wonder how it compares ride and weight wise?

- looks like there might be space for fuel can and gear on the tunnel but hard to tell

- Footpegs look like standard off road size. Lots of people like wider for snowbikes

- Ski and spindle look interesting...maybe 10 inch? Lots of carbide and triple concave

- Did they make all the appropriate mods like thermostat tuned for cold and powder to keep engine temps up...would have to assume so?

- Grip heaters?

- I like Euro bikes but wonder why they didn't use a Yamaha. Many agree that the new YZ450FX is an excellent snowbike platform

- Price is a big question

- Will there be a kit to convert it to dirt use? Being a 12 month vehicle would make it easier to justify, whatever price they end up at. That said, there are not many dirt riders who would be in the market for a Sherco 450. If it is convertible, would think a Yamaha would have had broader appeal.

- Big question for me is with the OFSC (Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs) allow them on the trails. Right now snowbikes are banned. They only allow vehicles that are designed first as a snow vehicle (hence Snowhawks being allowed)

Would love to hear others thoughts and correct me if I am wrong on any of the above.
the simple answer is money, Yamaha and Arctic "Partnership" is nothing like everyone thinks. There is very little shared from both sides. They best way to kinda explain it is:

Arctic buys Yamaha stuff, and Yamaha buys Arctic Stuff

Now... This is only on the snow side. Arctic Did find out about the YXZ about 8 months before it came out. But there is not "collaboration" on the dirt side.

#4 ·
A Timbersled is a conversion kit. This bad ass toy is not just an aftermarket skid slapped on a dirt bike. It would meet all safety regulations from the factory. That's what I would think will be the difference and the ofsc would need to allow them. That's my thoughts on that. Cats got a cool new toy!

#13 ·
I loved the idea of SnoBikes since I first laid eyes on a Chrysler Sno-Runner (sort of a pre-cursor) when I was like 12 years old. I have been into dirt bikes ever since I was a child. I totally agree the YZ450 would make an excellent platform for a snobike. I love euro bikes (check out my profile to see my current bikes) but the Yamaha YZ450 would bring a familiar face to this new emerging concept. The biggest obstacle we face in Wisconsin is how are we going to register these new machines so they can be used on the public trail system? Every state is DIFFERENT in what they allow on the public trail. These vehicles are a grey area that DO NOT match the legal (yes, there is a statute) definition of a snowmobile in my state. This was just brought up at the AWSC annual convention last month. If their popularity explodes it will take pressure from the public, dealers, and manufacturers to get these snobikes a way to get on the trails legally.

#14 ·
The arctic cat built bike will meet all snowmobile standards, and come with a manufactures statement of origin, stating that it is a snowmobile.
Here in NY that will allow it to be registered (just as the snowhawk was able to be registered) No conversion kits will be able to register as a snowmobile until the law is changed (the original MSO is for a motorcycle)

#21 ·
They look like fun.

#24 ·
They are race only right now. My guess is meeting the snowmobile standards has been difficult

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: jrhz06
#31 ·
Couple of guys had something like these during the Eagle River races last year and we were following them for about a mile then passed them. They look chalengine, you definitely have pay more attention than on a sled. But for around here's in tight trails like we have they are just too slow. Like you said out west might be something. My first trip out there is next year, Cooke City, lookin forward to it

#33 ·
If arctic cat ships it with an MSO that states its a snowmobile, then they will have to register it as a snowmobile. same here in NY.

kits are a totaly different story, as the reg would be for the machine the kit is installed on, ie bike, quad, sxs etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.