Sled Mods & Tech-Tips Learn the best tips/tricks from people have done it before.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #1

Sled: 96 550 Cougar
Hey all,

I had an OPPS a couple of weeks ago, I bumper humped my buddy. Doing this I pushed the belly pan into the exhaust and melted it and leaving a crack. My question is does anybody know what the belly pan is made of (what type of plastic) and can it be plastic welded??? Any help with this would be great.

Cameron
crzyh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 03-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
JMY

Sled: '01 Thundercat 1000 '01 Pantera 1000
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crzyh2o @ Mar 6 2009, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
Hey all,

I had an OPPS a couple of weeks ago, I bumper humped my buddy. Doing this I pushed the belly pan into the exhaust and melted it and leaving a crack. My question is does anybody know what the belly pan is made of (what type of plastic) and can it be plastic welded??? Any help with this would be great.

Cameron[/b]

Hi Cameron -

Not sure what type of plastic is used for the bellypan. What sled do you have?

My experience with welding plastic was on my '95 ZTR 800. I hit a steel post (hidden under the snow) and ripped a 2" gash in the bellypan. Took it to a fellow who did this type of work. He did a great job of repairing the damage but after a day's ride it started to come apart/split in the same spot.

I ended up riviting in a plastic patch over the damaged area and sealing it with some black RTV bond.

JMY

Old 03-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #3

Sled: 12 proclimb 1100T 153, 04 mtncat 900 162
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JMY @ Mar 8 2009, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crzyh2o @ Mar 6 2009, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
 Quote:
Hey all,

Cameron[/b]

Hi Cameron -

Not sure what type of plastic is used for the bellypan. What sled do you have?

My experience with welding plastic was on my '95 ZTR 800. I hit a steel post (hidden under the snow) and ripped a 2" gash in the bellypan. Took it to a fellow who did this type of work. He did a great job of repairing the damage but after a day's ride it started to come apart/split in the same spot.

I ended up riviting in a plastic patch over the damaged area and sealing it with some black RTV bond.

JMY
[/b][/quote]

thats pretty common with plastic welding, ive done a lot of it on other types of plastic.... its a really tricky process even tho it looks and sounds really simple, you jus kinda goda know weather your getting the plastic too hot or not hot enough, thats what causes it to come back apart and break in the same spot, its usually not too flexible either after you weld it, personally i pry wouldnt even bother with plastic welding on that type of a thing, theres a time and a place for everything, i jus dont think this is one of them
teamboracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » General Snowmobile Discussion » Sled Mods & Tech-Tips

Search tags for this page

kawasaki snowmobile belly pan

kawasaki snowmobile bellypans.
plastic weld belly pan
polaris belly plastic type
snowmobile belly pan plastic

snowmobile belly plastic type

what kind od plastic is arctic cat snomobile belly pans made of

what kind of plastic is my 98 zr belly pan made of?
what kind of plastic is the belly pan on a arctic cat made of
what type of plastic is the belly pan made of on a 2006 polaris fusion
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.