Sled Mods & Tech-Tips Learn the best tips/tricks from people have done it before.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #1

I have an 87 Panther. It has primary coils A & B. What are the symptoms if one of them is failing other than no spark? Could there be enough spark to start and idle, but not enough to accelerate the engine properly? Is one of these internal coils for low speed and one for high speed? Still trying to figure it out.
buck chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 09-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #2

Sled: T-cat
07-08 Mileage: 1700
06-07 Mileage: 1000
If you are talking about the stator, yes there is a high speed and low speed coil on it. "Kev" on this board once had a problem with this. His sled would idle all day and smoke a lot, but as soon as you gave it gas it would just bog. He had gotten a bad rewound stator from a place I won't mention because I don't want him to get wound up again.lol, Just kidding Kev.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
Sponsors

Sponsors
Sled: 95 ZRT 800 AGLT, 92 Jag 440
10-11 Mileage: 800
09-10 Mileage: 679
08-09 Mileage: 1000
07-08 Mileage: 1600
06-07 Mileage: 728
ATV: 50cc
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thunderscrap @ Sep 6 2008, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
If you are talking about the stator, yes there is a high speed and low speed coil on it. "Kev" on this board once had a problem with this. His sled would idle all day and smoke a lot, but as soon as you gave it gas it would just bog. He had gotten a bad rewound stator from a place I won't mention because I don't want him to get wound up again.lol, Just kidding Kev.[/b]
I'm assuming this is Uncle, since your old user name was apparently stolen by someone else I saw one of your other posts and started getting suspicious. That was a memorable time we had. In my case one of the coils was shorting out to the ground plate so stators can do funny things.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #4

lol. Yeah Kev ya found me. I just had to get my own ID. I found myself disaggreeing with myself too much. Thought people might think I had a split personality. After that disasterous trip where my counter balance went I figured Thunderscrap fit well. It's what my Polaris buddy at work called me all the time. He drove a XCR700. I called his sled XCRement.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #5

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thunderscrap @ Sep 6 2008, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
 Quote:
His sled would idle all day and smoke a lot, but as soon as you gave it gas it would just bog.[/b]
This is exactly what's going on with mine. Now, when idling, it's not a smooth idle. Sounds like its not firing as often as it should, but it idles!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #6

Hey Buck good news. I just found one of Kev's old home movies. You can watch and listen to see if this is what your sled is doing.[attachment=106537:Before.MOV]
You may have to right click and save as to see it.
Attached Files
File Type: mov Before.MOV (4.73 MB, 75 views)
Old 09-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
Sponsors

Sponsors
Sled: 95 ZRT 800 AGLT, 92 Jag 440
10-11 Mileage: 800
09-10 Mileage: 679
08-09 Mileage: 1000
07-08 Mileage: 1600
06-07 Mileage: 728
ATV: 50cc
That video, as it turns out, was not the stator failing. It's very similar symptom however. The situation in the video popped up intermittently and it turned out to be a poorly bypassed throttle safety switch. The wires were all tucked underneath the console and wrapped with electrical tape. Not really the most secure. You'll notice the engine actually dies off when applying the throttle.

During my trouble shooting I purchased a rewound stator from a Quebec company. It worked beautifully the first time I installed it. A week later it started acting up again. It was a very similar symptom, however the idle was quite a bit rougher and when the throttle was pinned the rpm's did not reach engagement, it just stayed about the same. This sounds quite a bit like the problem you're having.

The rewound stator has a shellac coating to insulate the wires from the ground plate and to secure them and prevent them from breaking. After examining closely, I could see (and measure with ohm meter) where the coating was thin and took very little time for one wire to wear through to the ground plate.

Fast forward another year, and running the 2nd stator. 107 miles away from launch point and sled dies. This time a wire broke off one of the coils. The shellac coating broke. A few days past the one year warranty and they took it back, but sent be back both the old one and a new one. It looks like they've improved their processes to make them more reliable, and hoping my feedback has helped somewhat, and no I'm not giving the 3rd stator a chance since my original one was never faulty.

The best way to isolate your handle bar switches from your engine electrical is to bypass all your switches. I'm not sure if the older sleds are the same, but it's worth taking a look. Down near the stator side of the engine, see if you can find a 4 prong plug. It might have 2 yellow wires and 2 other coloured wires (possible purple and black) On the stator side of this connector, place a jumper between the 2 NON yellow wires. Yellow is lighting coil and you don't want to short it out.
This jumper bypasses the key, kill, tether (if installed) and throttle safety switches. So if the engine runs bad afterwards, you know you're looking at something to do with engine electrical, possibly coil, wires, plug caps, CDI, and unfortunately most likely the stator.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #8

I start the sled every other day. There has been a progression in the symptoms. I have bypassed all switches by jumping the black and brown wires. Today, no spark at all. I consider this good news, because sometimes the hardest part is not knowing what the hell is the problem. I am getting closer to the problem, and would say that it's the primary coils(stator). After I swap the primary coils, I'll update the situation.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » General Snowmobile Discussion » Sled Mods & Tech-Tips

Search tags for this page

22re ignition coil bad

atv ignition coil symptoms

signs of bad coil on snowmobile

ski doo coil failure symptoms

snowmobile bad coil symptoms

snowmobile low speed coil

symptoms of bad coil on snowmobile

symptoms of bad coil polaris snowmobile

symptoms of skidoo bad coil

what are the symtoms of a bad coil or weak coil on a 22re

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.