Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Tunnel protectors

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  blawat 
#1 ·
I just bought a Z370 and plan on studding the track. There is about 2"" of clearance from the top of the track to the bottom of the tunnel. It doesn't seem like I would need tunnel protectors and my dealer said they do not put them on the fanned cooled sleds but the Woody's web site (and an email response from Woody's technical department) says they should be installed.

Do you guys have any insight?

Thanks.

#2 ·
The real benefit of tunnel protectors is in liquids because you don't want the studs ripping the crap out of the heat exchangers. But also I do have to say it doesn't take long for those studs to chew through a tunnel. Unless you are jumping hte thing I wouldn't worry about it. But you can't go wrong with them and they wouldn't hurt just to put in there. I honestly recommend putting them in. I had a 340 Jag, didn't run tunnel protectors and i beat of the thing and jumped it some and i put a couple of holes through the tunnel of mine. So I would recommend putting them in if you are going to ride hard at all.

#3 ·
I have had about 4or 5 fan cooled machines in the past and all were studded. The first one I bought used and it was studded allready, and they didnt use protectors and the tunnel was gouged up from the studs. Since I seen that I always use protectors. As a matter of fact, Im going to the dealer tomm. to pick up a pair for the 570LX I bought my daughter, I think they are about $10-15 each. They usually come pre-drilled to fit what application your using them for. (When I had Polaris they did, this is the first fan cooled Cat Im doing) They arent to bad to put in, on the Polaris you had to take off the seat and fuel tank if I remember right. Well worth the few dollars and time.
Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.