Sled Mods & Tech-Tips Learn the best tips/tricks from people have done it before.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:48 PM   #1

Sled: 94 ZR 700
I have a set of pipes for my 94 zr700 that i want to get powder coated. The pipes have some surface rust but are generally in good shape. The pipes have a heat shield on them which will prevent the shot blast from cleaning underneath the shield. When the powder coating goes on it will be coating the heat shield and not the pipe. Should the shield be removed for powdercoating or should I just not worry about the heat shield and potential rust underneath the shield?
merlincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-21-2006, 09:02 PM   #2

Sled: '06 F7
ATV: '06 YFZ450
since when people powdercoat pipes?
IMO, just paint it with hi-temp black... the pipe gets really hot, I don't know if powder coating will hold on good. If not, its a big waste of money. ceramic coating is a nice option too!
No offence right there, I dont even know if powdercoatin resist high temps!! just my 2 cents.
JEENYUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 1995 zrt 800
07-08 Mileage: 1200
Hello. My brother use to powdercoat here in Saskatoon. He Powdered exhaust many times and it did not last. He would tell the customer but it didn't matter, after a few days the customer came back and said he should have listened. It would peel off at the hot spot of the pipe. Ceramic would be the way to go. There is high temp powder, but it can't handle 1200deg's. I painted mine with the ceramic high temp paint and took some aluminum polish and a buffing wheel and polished the shields. Looks better than new. I see on E-bay there is a auction for getting Ceramic coating done. The more pipes you sent the lower the price. I'm contemplating bidding. Hope that helps.

Overandout...
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:22 AM   #4

Sled: Many ZRs and 98 XCR 800,03 PRO-X 600
06-07 Mileage: 2,400
ATV: 400 Maico
You should remove the sheild before you get it coated. There are many types of powder coating available. The kind you want for a exhaust system is Ceramic Metalic. It is actually powdered alluminum. Most good powder coaters that do Ceramic will blast and polish the pipe before coating it. If done right it will look great and last for years. Once the pipe has been coated you will have to avoid road salt, as it will eat right trough the ceramic.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:00 PM   #5

Sled: 94 ZR 700
Thanks for the input. I will talk to the powder coat folks. He is going to bead blast it. He asked me what color I wanted and i was going to opt for black. He said it was high temp black but if I need the aluminum powder coat I'm sure he'll have to order.

I'll also check out the ceramic coating. I hate to ship out to get it done so I'll look for a local place. Either way heat shield is coming off.
Cheers!
merlincat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » General Snowmobile Discussion » Sled Mods & Tech-Tips

Search tags for this page
atv exhaust powder coat
can exhaust be powder coated
can exhaust pipes be powder coated
can i powdercoat snowmobile exhaust

can you powder coat exhaust

can you powder coat exhaust pipes

can you powder coat exhaust tips
powder coat atv exhaust
powder coat atv muffler
powder coat snowmobile exhaust
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.