Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

prowler starting issues!! urgent?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Specialized7 
#1 ·
Having some issues with my prowler.
So originally I cleaned the carb. New filter. Oil change yada yada.
The starter went on it, so I replaced it with a brand new one from arctic cat.
Installed it and everything was good. Started really good and was smooth.

Now I'm at the lake and the starter is making a slight grinding noise. But that's not the issue. It cranks and cranks and cranks then it finally starts and runs fine.
It started so good up until yesterday. I'm scared to even shut it off on the trails in fear it won't start again.
I have limited tools with me at the moment but I looked at the plug and regapped it.
I'm not even sure what to check?

#2 ·
Can you drain some gas from the float bowl? You should also install an inline fuel filter. I had trouble with my 2001 when I bought it. Sometimes started and ran fine, other time, no start, or ran like crap. Finally pumped out the gas tank, it was full of crud. Once I flushed and cleaned the tank, blew out line, I installed an inline filter, end of problem. Good luck.

#3 ·
On the bottom left hand side of the carb is a little lever. That is a primer (so to speak) that if you pump the lever it will shoot fuel direct into the cylinder. Over on the Prowler Forum we had a detailed discussion on this same problem. Nobody seems to know why these machines have a starting issue (mine did after I did an upper engine rebuild) but the primer lever is what we came up with for a fix. I ran a simple plunger cable to my primer lever and no matter the temperature when the machine is cold it started after 3 pumps of the plunger! When the machine is warmed up I didn't need to use it.I dunno

#4 ·
Well i fixed it!
I took the starter off and most of the teeth were broken off of it. It was brand new from arctic cat!!!
they warrantied it for me!
it still cranked and cranked and cranked then i took the airfilter off which must have been clogged and it started right up.
The filter was brand new and we only rode the trails for 2 days. it was really clogged up. I might have to modify where it sucks its air at!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.