NavbitArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Side by Sides » Prowler » 11' Prowler 1000 Baja won't stay running

Prowler ArcticCat Prowler Forum. Contains all discussions for ArticCat SideXSides / UTVs.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #1

11' Prowler 1000 Baja won't stay running

First of all I'm new to the forum and looking forward to some advice from some knowledgeable folks. Thanks in advance for anyone who replies.

I am new to Arctic Cats but am familiar with ATV's and personally own a Yamaha Rhino. My father-in-law purchased a new 2010 or 2011 (can't remember exact year) Prowler 1000 Baja edition several years back. This unit doesnt get ran that much and probably only has approx. 200 miles on it and never had any problems. Ran strong all the time until this past year. The bike is not in my possession yet. It was sent to a mechanic and he has been to busy to troubleshoot the problem. I will be getting the machine today i hope and start to track down the problem.

It developed a problem when starting it. It will let you start the machine and starts to idle as it should. After about 30 seconds it will die and will not restart. You can leave it overnight and come back the next day and it will start up and run for about 30 seconds and die again. It almost seems as if it is flooding but not sure. The mechanic changed to the spark plugs and battery and made no difference. After that he assumed it wasnt getting fuel and installed a brand new fuel pump and still has the problem. So I am assuming it is not a fuel pump problem and never was to begin with.

I know how to turn a wrench and am pretty familiar with carb'd ATV motors but not so much with EFI's. My father-in-law ask me if I could help try and fix it and I agreed to try. I came to this forum to ask for any advice trying to fix this problem.

Is there any parts that I can verify are working correctly???

O2 sensor?
MAP sensor?
Injectors?
Fuel pump?
TPS? (could this cause the problem? How would you check it?)
Fuel regulator? (where is it located?)
Battery? (what voltage is required to run everything once started?)
Stator? (Do these units have stators?)
Spark plugs? (which is best)

Thanks for any help. Really trying to get familiar with some things before it gets dropped off in the garage so I have a place to start
KansasProwler is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Thanked 1,356 Times in 1,253 Posts
ATV: 07 500 auto 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
Bad gas from sitting? Ethanol plays havoc. You can download a free service manual here www.mymowerparts.com
Welcome to achat
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--
2013 700 XT trv eps stock

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #3

Thanks! The manual link will come in handy. I refer to it first and check the machine over first. I hope I find a simple fix but I'm worried I wont.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:03 AM   #4
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
ATV: 2010 700s Efi Viper Blue
2010 Mileage: 1250
2009 Mileage: 1100
2008 Mileage: 500 Built Barn
2007 Mileage: 1700
2006 Mileage: 1100
Dont Worry Be Happy
Well Get Ya Up Running

Now I Can Play In The Mud Just Like The Kids
2010 700s Viper Blue
9.5 MST Front 12 MST Rear 28 " Of Coarse
Black Stock Rims
Montana Jack Rear Box With Fuel Tanks
And More To Come

2012 Black Wild Cat #00007
27.5 Pitbull growlers
Vision 161 Bruiser 14' Rims Black
Order The Wife A WILD CAT 7-27-11

BUMMER For
Those Who Decided
It Was Time To
GROW UP

Welcome to ArcticChat.com - The Internet's largest Arctic Cat Forum. This is not just a website but a community dedicated to all things Arctic Cat. This site contains the largest collection of Arctic Cat Help, Arctic Cat News, Arctic Cat Discussions and Arctic Cat Tips & Tricks.Team ArcticChat

If you want to support the site and become a part of the Team ArcticChat this is the subscription for you.
Full Of Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #5

Well I got the Cat yesterday afternoon and pulled all the access panels off to have work space around the motor. I tried to start it and only got a hiccup so I decided the easiest thing was to start at the spark plugs. The front cylinders plug appeared normal but wet with maybe a little bit of rust discoloration on it. The rear cylinders plug was wet but was "beaded wet" and had rust deposits in the plug. Not alot but can definately tell that water was on the plug since it was "beaded up" and has been in contact with it at some point. I will also say that the mechanic had replaced the spark plugs when he had it.

The fuel pump is cycling when key is turned on. I cranked it over with spark plugs removed and it is throwing fuel from the cylinders (out the spark plug holes) on every stroke.

Based from my initial observation.....the rust corrosion on the spark plug is a big concern of mine but maybe it shouldn't be. In my opinion there should not be anyway for rust to take place unless water is present inside the cylinder. Since the problem not starting came on fast and has full tank of fuel.....it wont start, fuel pump appears to be delivering and rust on the plug makes me think that there is alot of water in the fuel. It makes since based on what I've seen so far. My father in law said he filled up the tank and after that it started not running as well. Then it sat and next time he wanted to use it...it started and then died. Makes me think the water settled in the tank and the fuel pump picked up the water.

Later this afternoon I hope to buy a new set of plugs from the parts store and verify fire on both cylinders. I also hope to get the fuel tank out or siphon out all the fuel (and possibly water) thats been in the tank for roughly a year. I may not need to do this but I'm starting simple with new fuel and spark.

Last edited by KansasProwler; 02-16-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Try A Can Of Sea Foam In It & Let It Set Over Night

2010 700s Viper Blue
Black Stock Rims
And More To Come

27.5 Pitbull growlers

BUMMER For
Those Who Decided
It Was Time To
GROW UP

Welcome to ArcticChat.com - The Internet's largest Arctic Cat Forum. This is not just a website but a community dedicated to all things Arctic Cat. This site contains the largest collection of Arctic Cat Help, Arctic Cat News, Arctic Cat Discussions and Arctic Cat Tips & Tricks.Team ArcticChat

If you want to support the site and become a part of the Team ArcticChat this is the subscription for you.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:41 AM   #7

ITS ALIVE!!!!

Well I went with my gut instinct and it I was right. I knew when I saw rust present on the plugs there had to be water involved somehow. I decided to siphon all the fuel from the tank to see if I got any water out. This is where things got interesting.......I siphoned approximately 5 gallons of fuel from the tank and 1-1 1/2 gallons of it was WATER!!! The fuel pump pickup was sitting in water. No wonder it wouldn't run. My father in law has no idea how any water got in the fuel??? He let his brother borrow it and wondered if he might have dumped some bad fuel in it without knowing.

Heres the sad part.....My father-in-law paid a reputable mechanic to replace the fuel pump because thats what the mechanic diagnosed as the problem. Not to mention when the fuel pump wasnt the problem it sat in the mechanics shop for almost a year!!! I honestly think he wanted to fix it but didn't have the time to keep looking at it. So alot of money was thrown at it for the fuel pump (i think $400-500) when the problem was just water in the tank all along.

After the tank was dry I dumped a decent amount of Sea Foam in it and then added a few gallons of new fuel into the tank. I disconnected the fuel line and purged the pump until I got fresh fuel through it. I replaced both spark plugs making sure they were gapped correctly and also verified I had fire on both plugs. I gave a little shot of starting fluid in air intake to assist with start. Gave it a few cranks......a couple a starts then died.....then finally started on it own and started idling perfectly. We let it idle for about 15-20 minutes and then checked it for a warm start and it started great.

I'm glad to see it wasnt a bigger problem keeping it from running but sucks to think all the time & money wasted just because of water in the fuel. Thanks for everyones help

Last edited by KansasProwler; 02-17-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:30 AM   #8
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Glad Its Up & Runing
I Mix A Cup Of Seafoam With 5 Gal Of Gas For All My Toys
& Run That All The Time

2010 700s Viper Blue
Black Stock Rims
And More To Come

27.5 Pitbull growlers

BUMMER For
Those Who Decided
It Was Time To
GROW UP

Old 02-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: Round disk
ATV: 2005 650 V2
2010 Mileage: 200
2009 Mileage: 350
2008 Mileage: 300
2007 Mileage: 100
2006 Mileage: 30
Glad you got it fixed. That's a sweet machines and it should get ridden more.

That's a lot of water, maybe the owner has some enemies.

Or someone hit the gas station right when the underground storage tank was almost empty.

"Every man dies. Not every man really lives" -William Wallace
FirecatV2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Side by Sides » Prowler

Search tags for this page

2010 artic cat 1000 baja

2011 arctic cat prowler will not stay running

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.