Windshield or hand guards? Both? - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum

Procross - Proclimb Chassis General Discussion General talk regarding 2012 & newer

Old 01-07-2017, 08:03 PM   #1

Sled: '00 z440/ES, '15 XF8000 CC, '13XF1100 LT
ATV: 2013 500XT Blue
Windshield or hand guards? Both?

Looking at finding a way to keep the hands and helmet from getting alot of wind when running on trails/lakes. I've got my eyes on a 6639-321 windshield to match my decals on my '15 XF8000CC.

Anyone have thoughts on the height of the mid windshields? Help with wind on hands/helmet? Look good or goofy?

I was originally just going to get handguards, but I am now leaning towards a windshield. My handlebars aren't completely vertical, so I was thinking handguards would be good too, as long as they don't interfere.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Qoreycube is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #2

Sled: Arctic Cat ZR7000 Limited - black
I would get both. Get a taller shield that will work for you and get the hand guards as well. That is what I just did in my machine. I hear you on getting a windshield that would take away from the looks of the machine. Looks IS important, but, I'll also say that I have the attitude of who cares as long as it works to help you be more comfortable on the machine.
I had mirrors on my ZR6000 limited and I quickly realized that I would block the mirrors if I put the hand guards on it. With my new machine, I've decided to skip the windshield mirrors so I can put the hand guards on it and then just get a wrist mirror.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Current 'Mobile: 2016 ZR7000 Limited - black
2016 ZR6000 limited - black

Prior Sleds: 2015 Ski-doo Renegade Adrenaline 800R
2004 Arctic Cat SaberCat 700 EFI
1999 Arctic Cat ZL500
1996 Polaris RXL 650
1995 Polaris Indy 500 Carb
1994 Polaris RXL
1992 Yamaha Phaser
Zerwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #3

Sled: 2016 ZR8000RR
07-08 Mileage: 1000 (2004 F7 SnoPo Fighter)
Got these on my cat. They work great and they don't interfere with the low windshield but not sure with a mid. I heard the mid windshield didn't help with wind in you're face.
Attached Thumbnails
Windshield or hand guards? Both?-img_1321_1483839696946.jpg  
Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:46 PM   #4

Sled: 15'ZR8000 LXR, 98 ZR-600
you can ditch the puny "only for show" windshields those do nothing, I have a Crosstour windshield and mirrors. I think you can get mirrors for the LXR's now, back when I got mine you couldn't. By the best gloves you can save up for, I have three pair in various thicknesses, Short pro cats for moderatly warm (+20F) temps, then warmer (down to zero) gauntlets. And a really good pair (200gram backs) Handgards are your option but when it gets to 10 below I put my gauntlets on.

guudasitgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by guudasitgets View Post
you can ditch the puny "only for show" windshields those do nothing, I have a Crosstour windshield and mirrors. I think you can get mirrors for the LXR's now, back when I got mine you couldn't. By the best gloves you can save up for, I have three pair in various thicknesses, Short pro cats for moderatly warm (+20F) temps, then warmer (down to zero) gauntlets. And a really good pair (200gram backs) Handgards are your option but when it gets to 10 below I put my gauntlets on.
I'm finding that my hands really don't get cold, but I haven't been out in -20 to -30f this year yet. I just think it'll help in general for the handguards as I have them on my 1100xf with low windshield. I have a pair of Arctic hjc gloves that match my Arctic cat orange jacket nicely.

Do you feel a significant change in wind with the crosstour/mid windshield over the low? My guess is yes, but I'm used to my 2000 z440 windshield where you basically sit so low you don't feel any wind.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:13 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by Zerwas View Post
I would get both. Get a taller shield that will work for you and get the hand guards as well. That is what I just did in my machine. I hear you on getting a windshield that would take away from the looks of the machine. Looks IS important, but, I'll also say that I have the attitude of who cares as long as it works to help you be more comfortable on the machine.
I had mirrors on my ZR6000 limited and I quickly realized that I would block the mirrors if I put the hand guards on it. With my new machine, I've decided to skip the windshield mirrors so I can put the hand guards on it and then just get a wrist mirror.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
I'm thinking I would get both. I realize looks isn't everything. I love the sleek look of the low windshield but I don't mind changing it as long as there is a noticable difference.. it sounds like there is though?

Old 01-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #7

Sled: Arctic Cat ZR7000 Limited - black
 Quote: Originally Posted by Qoreycube View Post
I'm thinking I would get both. I realize looks isn't everything. I love the sleek look of the low windshield but I don't mind changing it as long as there is a noticable difference.. it sounds like there is though?

We are thinking exactly the same thing. I like the sleek racy look of a small windshield, but I also don't like freezing my tail off. First thing I did was order a much taller windshield for my ZR7000 limited and installed the hand guards to keep the hands warm.

Happy sledding!!

Current 'Mobile: 2016 ZR7000 Limited - black
2016 ZR6000 limited - black

Prior Sleds: 2015 Ski-doo Renegade Adrenaline 800R
2004 Arctic Cat SaberCat 700 EFI
1999 Arctic Cat ZL500
1996 Polaris RXL 650
1995 Polaris Indy 500 Carb
1994 Polaris RXL
1992 Yamaha Phaser
Zerwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:10 PM   #8

Sled: 15'ZR8000 LXR, 98 ZR-600
 Quote: Originally Posted by Qoreycube View Post
I'm finding that my hands really don't get cold, but I haven't been out in -20 to -30f this year yet. I just think it'll help in general for the handguards as I have them on my 1100xf with low windshield. I have a pair of Arctic hjc gloves that match my Arctic cat orange jacket nicely.

Do you feel a significant change in wind with the crosstour/mid windshield over the low? My guess is yes, but I'm used to my 2000 z440 windshield where you basically sit so low you don't feel any wind.
I don't buy things so they "Match good" or look cool, I buy things because they work . You can get your HJC gloves that "match my Arctic cat orange jacket nicely" and thats all well and good but what would you feel like looking good and matching your Arctic Cat Jacket, when your getting frostbite or freezing to death. Not so much huh? My Klim gloves are red and orange, they are a far cry from the Cat green and black heavy jacket or my Drift White and Green half jacket. Look at the specs, pay attention to the grams of insulation, not the color match, might save you a finger or two. If you haven't been out in -20 to -30 degree weather prepare yourself just in case a front comes through while your out. On a sled trip getting caught in a front without enough warm clothes can ruin your day.

Now the Crosstour windshield I specifically bought for the mirror mounts. Back in 2015 that was the only one you could get with mounts for the big mirrors, now you can get them for the LXR windsheild. The windshield is perfect, nice blocking the wind. When it gets around -10F I put gauntlets on. It's a lot warmer than my friends DOO. I'd never use a short windshield but I'm always out when it's below zero.

guudasitgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:58 PM   #9
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 2014 ZR 7000 LIMITED
i struggled with cold hands for last couple years...finally sucked up and bought the rox speed fx flextec hand guards and im happy no issues now

2014 Arctic Cat ZR 7000 Limited
Float Guards - RaceWerx Quick Seat Kit - Battery Tender Hook Up - Hids - Nuvi 500 - SnowTrackers - BDX Rotor - 7.5 Riser - Skid Plate - Airbox Mod - Pantera Shield Kit - Handle Bar Bag - NGK10ek Plugs - Thicker Oil Pan - Odyssey PC680 - J&T Tri-Hub Delete - 16 Track Spring - Revalved Shocks - RoxFx Flex Tecs - SPI Can - Orange Snow Flap - Trail Blizzer Scratchers - Sport Bumper - Dupont Sliders - Composit Talon 45 1.77 Track - D&D Billet Gas Cap - 17 Grips - Gates Carbon Belt

Savageman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:25 AM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by guudasitgets View Post
I don't buy things so they "Match good" or look cool, I buy things because they work . You can get your HJC gloves that "match my Arctic cat orange jacket nicely" and thats all well and good but what would you feel like looking good and matching your Arctic Cat Jacket, when your getting frostbite or freezing to death. Not so much huh? My Klim gloves are red and orange, they are a far cry from the Cat green and black heavy jacket or my Drift White and Green half jacket. Look at the specs, pay attention to the grams of insulation, not the color match, might save you a finger or two. If you haven't been out in -20 to -30 degree weather prepare yourself just in case a front comes through while your out. On a sled trip getting caught in a front without enough warm clothes can ruin your day.

Now the Crosstour windshield I specifically bought for the mirror mounts. Back in 2015 that was the only one you could get with mounts for the big mirrors, now you can get them for the LXR windsheild. The windshield is perfect, nice blocking the wind. When it gets around -10F I put gauntlets on. It's a lot warmer than my friends DOO. I'd never use a short windshield but I'm always out when it's below zero.
Woah man, don't get your feathers ruffled there. I think you took what I said a little too to heart. Just because I like things to match, doesn't mean I overlook function. If you want to look like a snowmobile poster boy for the gay pride community when you ride, then by all means go for it. You won't have any issues from me, I'll cheer you on.

Like I mentioned above, my gloves aren't a concern for me. I've gone in plenty of 20-30 below temperatures in the past winters to know how to prepare for them, I just haven't *this year* on *this machine* yet, hence the questions about windshields handguards, just to see if one helps more over the other, or if both are a good choice for these chassis.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm usually the guy of group that carries plenty of backup gear, gloves, hand and feet warmers, survival gear, extra tools, tow ropes, and hell, even toiletries (for those who don't want to find cedar leaves and snow) on a long run, within my saddlebags.

And you'll be happy to know, I still have all of my digits!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Procross - Proclimb Chassis General Discussion