Doo 850; Does my 800 need to worry - Page 3 - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum

Procross - Proclimb Chassis General Discussion General talk regarding 2012 & newer

Old 12-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #21

Sled: 15'ZR8000 LXR, 98 ZR-600
 Quote: Originally Posted by papawattz View Post
From my research and experience, at least for the lithium battery I bought, says it does very well in the cold. And from experience, unless you have a gel type battery the standard electrolyte/ water cell batteries do not hold up very well in the cold! FYI I maintain back up batteries and battery components at a Nuclear facility so I have a little background here! A lot of are engineers are looking closer at the lithium batteries as replacement for are wet cell types(changing any system, especially battery backup for safe shutdown in a Nuclear facility is almost next to impossible), that is the main reason we have not switched!

So am I missing something
Well For one they aren't called "Water Cells" so if involved in the battery end of it you wouldn't call them that they are referred to as "Wet Cell Types". They aren't filled with water they contain electrolyte. What your missing is Number 1) the factory battery really IS an AGM, not a wet cell and I've shipped those to Antarctica. And Number 2) when not working for two Indy Car race teams and one sports car team I did industrial battery applications for Fiserv (banking data backup, as in everyone's checking account) Miller Brewing Company and Strong Investments. as well as testing for various suppliers and building our own industrial cells, Tubular, Electrolyte Circulated, Flat Plate, Absorbed Glass Matt and Valve Regulated. The testing on Lithium was extensive. They are light and also fragle. I was in that business for over 20 years For serious stuff like a sled starting in the middle of nowhere like I go, I'll stick with what works. The center of gravity argument is moot. Like I said that little bit you wouldn't notice.

Last edited by guudasitgets; 12-26-2016 at 08:13 AM.
guudasitgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-26-2016, 02:28 AM   #22
Team ArcticChat

Team ArcticChat  
Team ArcticChat
Sled: 2014 ZR 7000 LIMITED
i see on Facebook chains snapping in the chaincase

2014 Arctic Cat ZR 7000 Limited
Float Guards - RaceWerx Quick Seat Kit - Battery Tender Hook Up - Hids - Nuvi 500 - SnowTrackers - BDX Rotor - 7.5 Riser - Skid Plate - Airbox Mod - Pantera Shield Kit - Handle Bar Bag - NGK10ek Plugs - Thicker Oil Pan - Odyssey PC680 - J&T Tri-Hub Delete - 16 Track Spring - Revalved Shocks - RoxFx Flex Tecs - SPI Can - Orange Snow Flap - Trail Blizzer Scratchers - Sport Bumper - Dupont Sliders - Composit Talon 45 1.77 Track - D&D Billet Gas Cap

Savageman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:12 AM   #23

Quote: Originally Posted by Savageman69 View Post
i see on Facebook chains snapping in the chaincase
Thats beautiful stuff, I'll add it to the list

P.S. where is that pic in your sig?

Old 12-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #24

Here ya go boys, a little Christmas entertainment

850 issues - REV-GEN 4 - 850 MXZ / Renegade - DOOTalk Forums

Old 12-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #25

Ah more stuff

Old 12-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #26

Sled: 14'El Tigre, 16' ZR8000 Limited
07-08 Mileage: 500
06-07 Mileage: 350
Water cells??

Quote: Originally Posted by guudasitgets View Post
Well For one they aren't called "Water Cells" so if involved in the battery end of it you wouldn't call them that they are referred to as "Wet Cell Types". They aren't filled with water they contain electrolyte. What your missing is Number 1) the factory battery really IS an AGM, not a wet cell and I've shipped those to Antarctica. And Number 2) when not working for two Indy Car race teams and one sports car team I did industrial battery applications for Fiserv (banking data backup, as in everyone's checking account) Miller Brewing Company and Strong Investments. as well as testing for various suppliers and building our own industrial cells, Tubular, Electrolyte Circulated, Flat Plate, Absorbed Glass Matt and Valve Regulated. The testing on Lithium was extensive. They are light and also fragle. I was in that business for over 20 years For serious stuff like a sled starting in the middle of nowhere like I go, I'll stick with what works. The center of gravity argument is moot. Like I said that little bit you wouldn't notice.
I never called them water cells I said WET Cells , next sentence, (I was referring to what was in them), and the batteries we use do in fact have Electrolyte and Water in them! We use C & D Technologies "WET" type Cells as are plant back up batteries. We use Deionized water(DI)to get cell electrolyte levels back to a engineered specified level "above" cell plates due to evaporation. I am no Battery engineer, I am an Electrician who happens to maintain these battery systems as one of my many jobs I perform there. But I do talk with our Battery engineers we have on site. The main reason most facilities haven't gone to lithium is COST! Now I'm not trying to have a pissing match here with you, I've seen your stats and a lot of your involvement here. You clearly have quit a bit of knowledge and I'm grateful for what you bring here and the advise and knowledge you share.

You are correct with some of the Lithium batteries out there, "not" being up to snuff when it comes to durability. But there are some that are!

Also I just checked you are right about OUR factory batteries. They are indeed a Gel type. I brain farted on that one. I was thinking of the batteries on my Sno Scoot and my 2005 Sabercat 700, they were both WET types.

As for starting your sled in the middle of nowhere?? I would say yes I agree with you on that also, definitely use what is most reliable. But, that is why I have a pull start, that is my back up! I would say if you have a 4 -stroke(that's heavy already) or have the upper body strength of a 95 year old woman then yeah, definitely opt for the most reliable battery out there!

Now if your that worried about a dead battery in the middle of BFE, then I would suggest this nifty little jump starter I saw on Power Modz(You Tube), small, light weight and powerfull, it's actually really cool! I'll try and find you that link or the name of the company!

Happy riding

Last edited by papawattz; 12-26-2016 at 10:33 AM.
papawattz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #27
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Thanked 2,586 Times in 2,373 Posts
ATV: 07 500 auto 13 700 XT trv
2010 Mileage: 800
2007 Mileage: 800
2006 Mileage: 800
I've been carrying this one on the quad for a couple years.

Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--
2013 700 XT trv eps stock

It's mind over matter,If you don't mind,
It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doorfx For This Useful Post:
papawattz (01-03-2017)
Old 12-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #28
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Dynojet/142m/45p/3rd/3turns--Clipped and drilled--Unifilter--Easy adjust PMS--L.C.V. mod--AC Swaybar--Exhaust mod--2"Snorkels--Sanny shock bushings-- Airdam stage 1--PSC phase 2--21/ 23gr rollers--Dalton yellow spring--.7mm shim--Sanny Steerlites--RTR Flex Bracket--2 up seat / pegs--Tach--AC handguards--28" Outlaw mst's--Skull tailight--Skull shifter--Self Resetting Breakers--1" Wheel spacers--Customcncparts Steering Damper--AC deluxe handwarmers--6000k HID'S hi/lo--AC Deluxe Bumpers--Inline Fuel Filter-- O2 sensor \AFR guage--Black Magic Full Stainless Exhaust System--Wireless Winch Remote--29.5 Outlaws--Fox Podium X Rear Shocks--

It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
Old 12-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #29
Administrator

ArcticChat.com Admin  
Administrator
Sulfuric acid and water = electrolyte
Specific gravity is what you are checking for SOC
I use the same batteries as at your work and they are VRLA batteries in a UPS so they don't off gas. The hydrogen that is created in a regular wet cell battery is extremely explosive.

VRLA=valve regulated lead acid
SOC=state of charge
UPS= uninterruptible power supply

It just doesn't matter

No Boost No Bottle
just balls and throttle
Old 12-26-2016, 12:03 PM   #30

Sled: 14'El Tigre, 16' ZR8000 Limited
07-08 Mileage: 500
06-07 Mileage: 350
We use LCR 33's

Quote: Originally Posted by doorfx View Post
Sulfuric acid and water = electrolyte
Specific gravity is what you are checking for SOC
I use the same batteries as at your work and they are VRLA batteries in a UPS so they don't off gas. The hydrogen that is created in a regular wet cell battery is extremely explosive.

VRLA=valve regulated lead acid
SOC=state of charge
UPS= uninterruptible power supply
Similar? ours still release some hydrogen so we have WELL ventilated rooms! On a monthly basis, we have to check specific gravity's on all are cells and make sure they fall in our "Tech Specs" of greater than 1.204 for most our locations. We use a SBS-2002 for our testing. I can honestly say I hate battery testing/ PM's :-( Boring!! I come from the construction and service side of my trade, where this is more in line with the military side(Navy especially).

Here is exactly what we have

VLA (Flooded) Batteries Telecommunications UPS Energy & Infrastructure Engine Starting VRLA Batteries Lithium Ion Battery Monitoring Racks & Cabinets Spill Containment & Safety Batteries by Name
LCR and LCY Lead-Calcium / LAR Lead-Antimony

For switchgear and control applications
Capacities from 900 to 2400 Ampere-hours

C&D Technologies flooded batteries are engineered to provide superior performance and reliability over the life of the product. These batteries are designed using proprietary techniques and quality components and materials for reduced maintenance and extended battery life.
Features and Benefits

• Electrical testing to 100% capacity of every battery string prior to shipping assures performance of every battery string upon delivery
  • Long life positive plates cast with a proprietary process and alloy
  • Waterbath charging results in consistently formed plates for reliable performance out of the box (no cycling required in the field)
  • Suspended positive plates permit free growth without pressure on jar and cover
  • 20 year environmental and seismic nuclear qualification (calcium)
Safe Operation
  • Flame-retardant covers enhance battery plant safety with self-extinguishing properties, LOI>32%, UL 94V-0.
  • Low-evaporation, flame-arrester vent to extend watering intervals and prevent external sparks from reacting with the hydrogen inside the cell.
Cost Savings
  • Transparent container allows visual inspection of plates.
  • Soft rubber post seal minimizes stress on post reducing maintenance requirements.
  • Computer controlled heli-arc welded post seals result in consistent and reliable seals for less maintenance and longer product life.
Applications

• Electric Power Generation Facilities
  • Nuclear Power Plants
  • Emergency Systems
  • Manufacturing Facilities
    • Assembly Lines
    • Process Controls
  • Petrochemical processing plants
  • Pipelines
Product Literature

Product I&O Manual

Product Tools

Safety/Environmental

Part Numbers

• 2LAR-13 / 2LCR-13
  • 2LAR-15 / 2LCR-15
  • LAR-13 / LCR-13
  • LAR-15 / LCR-15
  • LAR-17 / LCR-17
  • LAR-19 / LCR-19
  • LAR-21 / LCR-21
  • LAR-23 / LCR-23
  • LAR-25 / LCR-25
  • LAR-27 / LCR-27
  • LAR-29 / LCR-29
  • LAR-31 / LCR-31
  • LAR-33 / LCR-33
  • LCY-35
  • LCY-37
  • LCY-39
Any data, descriptions or specifications presented herein are subject to revision by C&D Technologies, Inc. without notice. While such information is believed to be accurate as indicated herein, C&D Technologies, Inc. makes no warranty and hereby disclaims all warranties, express or implied, with regard to the accuracy or completeness of such information. Further, because the product(s) featured herein may be used under conditions beyond its control, C&D Technologies, Inc. hereby disclaims all warranties, either express or implied, concerning the fitness or suitability of such product(s) for any particular use or in any specific application or arising from any course of dealing or usage of trade. The user is solely responsible for determining the suitability of the product(s) featured herein for user's intended purpose and in user's specific application.

papawattz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Procross - Proclimb Chassis General Discussion