Procross - Proclimb Chassis General Discussion General talk regarding 2012 & newer

Old 09-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #1

Drive Train Improvement FAQs

Arctic Cat just released information about the "Drive Train Improvement Program" that everyone has been wondering about.

This reconfirms and expands on the information Krom posted here: Latest info on drive train improvments

The service bulletin information:
Date: September 6, 2013
Product Line: Snowmobile
Bulletin No: BS201401, 02, 03, 04, 05
Subject: Driven Clutch
Affected Models: Specific 2012 and 2013 F, XF and M models eligible for factory warranty as of March 1, 2013

There are part numbers now
Note: Drive train upgrade kit part numbers are different from Bulletin kit part numbers.

Here is some more of the information that they just released:

FAQ – Premature Belt Failure Resolutions

1. Has the premature belt failure issue been resolved?

A. Yes, however after surveying our owners, we know that most snowmobiles appear to beunaffected and not all customers areexperiencing this issue.

A. To ensure our product continues to meet our customers’ expectations, we have released Service Bulletins that affect all 2012 & 2013 800 cc and 1100 cc turbo Procross and Proclimb snowmobiles that were in factory warranty as of March 1, 2013. Arctic Cat will provide a no-charge upgrade of the existing driven clutch to the New 2014 “Big Fin” Driven Clutch.

2. I own a 2012 snowmobile that no longer has factory warranty that did not have premature belt failure. Do I need to do the update?

A. You do not have to update your snowmobile; however, you are still eligible to purchase the 2014 improvements at the special pricing.

3. I own a 2013 snowmobile that still has factory warranty that did not have premature belt failure. Do I need to do the update?

A. You do not need to do the update; however as it is still in the factory warranty, we recommend you take it to a dealer for the bulletin update.

4. I did experience premature belt failure; why?

A. The reason is extreme temperatures in the drive system. Certain riding styles and conditions appear to be more likely to impact the drive system. We also know that installing aftermarket performance boost kits tends to compound the problem; not only due to the increased horsepower and load, but also because they change the RPM/speed equation which dramatically affects cooling.

5. I have modified my snowmobile and have experienced premature belt failure. Am I still eligible for the update?

A. Yes; however, we do not recommend any modifications to Arctic Cat snowmobiles. We can‘t control the effectiveness of our updates on modifications made by you that we have not tested. Accordingly, you are still eligible to purchase the 2014 update kits, but may have to make additional changes to suit your custom application.

6. What makes the 2014 “Big Fin” Driven Clutch so much better than the 2012 & 2013 Driven Clutch?

A. The 2014 “Big Fin” Driven Clutch has upgraded High-Temp Dupont bearings in the cam and movable sheave. These bearings withstand higher temperatures than the previous driven clutches thus making the clutch more “Free” moving and less binding. Binding in a driven clutch hampers the shift pattern resulting in pulling the belt apart. The added height to the fins pumps more hot air out of the clutch compartment allowing more cool air into the clutch compartment; this keeps the belt and clutches cooler during operation.

7. My snowmobile is out of factory warranty and I have experienced premature belt failure. What can I do?

A. We continually upgrade and enhance our snowmobiles. For a limited time, we are offering a Drivetrain Improvement Program that will make the Model Year 2014 enhancements available to all 2012-13 Arctic Cat snowmobile customers at a special reduced price. Depending on your riding style, you can decide which improvements would best enhance your ride. See the following chart for more details.

i. 2014 Big Fin Driven Clutch - $149 Special Retail (US MSRP $429.95) – For a limited time only, Arctic Cat is making this clutch available at dramatically reduced pricing. This is a great opportunity for the customer whose product is out of warranty or hasn’t experienced an issue but wants to economically upgrade their drive system to the newest and most current technology.

ii. 2014 Gearing - $49-$79 Special Retail (US MSRP $89-$229) – We recognize the advantage of the lower gear ratios in the 2014 snowmobiles and recommend the 2014 gear ratios for all aggressive riders.

What does lower gearing do?

A. Top speed is not compromised with this system. Gearing “down” or lower gearing increases belt speed decreasing the load on the drive belt. The 15% overdrive designed into the Arctic Cat clutches is maximized making the clutches more efficient.

iii. Exvolute Track Drive and Slide Rails for F Models - $199 Special Retail (US MSRP
$549) – High horsepower, modified, or traction-improved 2012 & 2013 Procross F models can realize improved performance and durability with the addition of the exvolute track drive kit.

iv. Updated Clutch Guard - $39-$44 Special Retail (US MSRP $89-$99) – Arctic Cat has developed a more durable clutch guard that will retro-fit back to all 2012 & 2013 Procross and Proclimb snowmobiles. The updated clutch guard also improves cooling when used in conjunction with the 2014 Big Fin Driven Clutch.

8. Has Arctic Cat tested this update thoroughly?

A. Testing last winter on the snow as well as in an independent drivetrain dynamometer lab has confirmed the new improved drive system on the 2014 Arctic Cat snowmobiles lowers drive belt operating temperatures by up to 30% and significantly increases drive belt durability. In addition, the results clearly indicated that of all the “2014 solutions,” the 2014 Big Fin Driven Clutch provided the highest rate of improvement when applied to the 2012 & 2013 snowmobile. In fact, application of the 2014 Big Fin Driven Clutch resulted in twice the durability.
curtsmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curtsmotorsports For This Useful Post:
NovaNewfie (01-08-2014)
Remove Ads
Old 09-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #2

Sled: 2013 Procross F800 Sno Pro RR
When are these prices going to be available? If i do the free secondary clutch upgrade do i have to send in my old one? also if i do the gearing package, do i have to pay for the labor? or is that covered under my warranty ?
Thanks in advanced

Last edited by Kaupang; 09-08-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Kaupang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #3

Sled: Jag-Z
ATV: z-400
 Quote: Originally Posted by Kaupang View Post
When are these prices going to be available? If i do the free primary clutch upgrade do i have to send in my old one? also if i do the gearing package, do i have to pay for the labor? or is that covered under my warranty ?
Thanks in advanced

yes. read number 3
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #4

Dealers can start placing orders for the upgrade kits at this pricing now, the bulletin kits (right now, but probably fixed by Monday or Tuesday) are not able to be ordered on CatTracker. That being said, they are projecting late October to early-mid November availability of these items, but no specific dates at this time.

From what I can see at this time, Arctic Cat won't be wanting the old clutches back so you should be able to keep it.

If you decide to do the gearing package, you will be responsible for the labor, the only thing the Service Bulletin is covering is the Clutch Update and only on the machines listed under "Affected Models"

Also:
These kits will be available at this aggressive pricing until March 31, 2014 only.
curtsmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curtsmotorsports For This Useful Post:
Kaupang (09-08-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
Super Moderator

ArcticChat.com Moderator  
Super Moderator
Sled: 09 snow X mod
added the info to the sticky
Krom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #6

Sled: 2013 F8 RRK
 Quote: Originally Posted by Kaupang View Post
When are these prices going to be available? If i do the free primary clutch upgrade do i have to send in my old one? also if i do the gearing package, do i have to pay for the labor? or is that covered under my warranty ?
Thanks in advanced
They(AC) are offering a secondary clutch replacement not a primary.

-John
Old 09-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #7

Sled: 2013 xf1100 turbo s/p
06-07 Mileage: 500
ATV: arctic cat 650 v-twin 2004, 2012 AC 450i
2007 Mileage: 300
2006 Mileage: 200
I just heard this to and to be honest it's not going to work and here is why. The issue is in the primary not the secondary. When the belt heats up its way above the max temp for belt heat. This fix is only going to lower temps by 5 degrees at the most so let's say your 100 degrees above max temp what the heck is 5 degrees going to do. The real problem is in the primary. The belt squeeze on the the belt in the first part of the sheaves is way to weak and belt slips way to much and heats way up and belts are suffering. The darn primary is set up wrong from cat. The only fix I have seen for this is the use of different style weights. There is someone that has been on this issue for three + yrs. and has come up with a fix. Arctic cat knows of this fix but can't replicate it because of patent issues. They know they are in some serious chit about this issue. The person you need to talk to is roger in service at grace performance in port Huron Michigan he is a super super guy and will take the time to explain what's up with the primary issue he is the one who has this kit and fix for your machine guys give him a call.

Last edited by cholbert; 09-06-2013 at 11:35 PM.
cholbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Super Moderator

ArcticChat.com Moderator  
Super Moderator
Sled: 09 snow X mod
Heat is the problem, but different weights aren't the fix.
If the primary was the cause, they problem would have existed since 09.
If it was as simple as a different set of weights, every would be using them by now.

FWIW I'm not saying its the total fix, but the new secondary is supposed to lower temps by 30°

Last edited by Krom; 09-07-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Krom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #9

Sled: 2014 Viper RTX SE
Well the clutches need to work together and they are not , best way to see witch one is slipping more is ride and feel the clutches to feel what one is hotter they both should be very close to the same temp , I'm not sure just replacing the secondary is the fix .....
09nytro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #10

Sled: 13 m800 ltd, 95 ext powder spec.
ATV: 07 trx450er, 86 trx250r, 87 trx250x,
I think the biggest thing here is Arctic Cat is at lest admitting to a problem and trying to resolve this problem. I personally and thankfully don't have a belt burner but im definitely taking advantage of these killer deals on expensive parts just to have when ready!
Thank You ARCTIC CAT!
ridegreeninsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ridegreeninsnow For This Useful Post:
Ducman0 (09-12-2013)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum » Snowmobiles » Arctic Cat Snowmobiles » Procross - Proclimb Chassis General Discussion

Search tags for this page
2013 arctic cat pro climb improvements
2014 arctic cat drive train improvements
2014 arctic cat turbo fixed
arctic cat 2014 gear update
arctic cat exvolute drive update
arctic cat exvolute track drive
arctic cat secondary clutch problems
arctic cat snowmobile 2014 belt issues fixed

exvolute track drive and slide rails for f models

slack in drivetrain arctic cat procross
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.