Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

800 ho reliability?

42K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  dogthehunter 
#1 ·
I was thinking of purchasing a 2012 xf 800 but wondered if any one has had any trouble eith the 800 ho engine. any input would be nice

#3 · (Edited)
I am unaware of any crank failures in the 800/1000 or 800 ho and any piston failures are explainable.. the 2011 ho had some mapping and knock sensor issues that are suppose to be resolved for 2012

most improtant thing is to follow the owners manual and run premium fuels and synthetic oils and let them warm up before you take off

industry standard for engine longevity on these according to cat is 5,000 miles before you should even think about doing any mainteance on a stock one but we have seen many go past 10,000 with no issues

these are by far some of the best 2 stroke engines cat has ever made.. I would say the 600 and original 800/1000 to be the best ever with the 800 HO a close second...the 800 HO is essentially a race engine with a warranty. 160+ hp and not much left on the table except for porting and exhaust, unless you buy a big bore kit and put nitrous on... or up the compression and run race gas, mountain guys put turbos on..

cat will be racing the 2012 hcr's with turbo's in the mountains this spring for all to see

#5 ·
Any of those engines,letting them warm up is the key. Some of us forget,due in part to EFI. How ingreedable these little, no bigger then my lunch box motor is. They are built tight ,and sometimes right to the edge. As for as I know the 800 HO has been pretty good. Heard of one problem today when talking to a dealer. The guy took out the pistons,when hammering on it with octane light on for a day. Yes they do retard,and go into a safe mode.But that means give me what I need. Not you cant hurt me.

#7 ·
I have a 2010 800ho. Like previously said let engine warm up. I went as far as putting a koso temp gauge on mine. I don't trail ride so I'm on and off the throttle(full throttle) all the time with a top end run usually everytime I take it out. I have 1700miles on it with 0 problems.
Cat happyBounce Mirror

#12 ·
Mine's currently in the shop for low compression on the mag side......The dealer said the top of the piston looked partially melted. I've only seen the octane light twice (briefly) in the 6900 miles i put on this (all stock)sled. Just glad to have warranty till dec,and will be adding 3 more years to the warranty period........

#18 ·
#16 ·
Start up is one thing... mine loads up when i stop to cross a road (it's the older 800).

Just trying to find out if the 800 H.O. is a bit cleaner and mapped better than my existing sled. I can't believe I'm actually considering a 4-stroke (1100 na) instead. Never noticed the smoke or ANY load-up/hesitation with my previous sled ('03 F7).

#17 ·
Start up is one thing... mine loads up when i stop to cross a road (it's the older 800).

Just trying to find out if the 800 H.O. is a bit cleaner and mapped better than my existing sled. I can't believe I'm actually considering a 4-stroke (1100 na) instead. Never noticed the smoke or ANY load-up/hesitation with my previous sled ('03 F7).
Much,much better.....

#21 ·
I have an 09 800 that I set the oil pump back on two full turns. That was almost 5000 miles ago. No problems other than an EGT sensor last year, don't remember the mileage. Dog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.